Feeder breeding set ups and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleinz

I’m currently trying to breed Dubias, silkworms, hornworms, and super worms. I have bins, super worm bedding, silkworm chow, and worm screens to climb. Can I see a couple of peoples set ups that have been successful?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hornworms and silk worms I order as needed and keep them in cups with food (or a bin with food changed daily for silks) so I can't help too much with info about raising them. Kingofnobbys (user on here) has a few posts outlining how to raise silkworms that is really helpful. It's good to have access to mulberry leaves for them if you can.

Superworms are really easy. Just give them a bin with some oats and then a toilet paper tube or two on top along with some chunks of a vegetable like carrot or some fresh greens every day or two and they are happy. Cut some holes in a top to keep them in the bin and safe. Pretty hands off aside from changing the veges out (so they don't get moldy).

Dubias are also pretty hands off once the colony gets started. If you don't have any adult roaches, the colony can take a few months to start to establish. After a while they really just kind of do their thing and thrive as long as they are getting fresh food every day. They are pretty tough. My colony is great for taking care of leftover salads and some kitchen scraps. They also LOVE squash and pumpkin. My colony is in a cool basement so I have a heat projector (similar to ceramic heat emitter) over the enclosure to warm them a bit. This probably isn't necessary if they are in a warmer part of the house. I use cardboard tubes stacked up for their housing on one side and a plate for their food on the other. I have a dozen or so superworms (and the beetles they turn into) roaming through the frass to help keep the colony cleaner.

76248-4768611197.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom