Eyes Closing - UV Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still new and certainly still learning... I have a little baby beardie - maybe a month old or so. Brought her home Saturday night and things seem to be steadily getting better as to feeding and such. But I've noticed that occasionally she/he sometimes closes one eye or the other. I've read about UVB lights and such and am wondering if this behavior is a result of poor or possibly harmful UVB lighting? What I'm using right now is just temporary as I've ordered the ReptiSun 10 online and am still waiting for it to arrive. Right now I just have the bulb that came with the hood I bought. It's UV, but perhaps it's harmful? If so, will he/she be alright if I didn't use any UV lights for the next few days?? I couldn't choke the expensive prices at the pet store - and when I DID, I got home with an aquarium bulb instead. Enough of that... so I ordered online.

And one more question real quick... I keep reading conflicting reports on the proper basking temp for a beardie this small. Some say around 95, while others are 105. Mine is around 95 right now, and occasionally (although not often) I see him/her with her mouth slightly open. Don't know if it would qualify as "gaping", but it scares me to think of raising the temp another 10 degrees.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Katsmomma

Juvie Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the UV - it sounds like you have ordered a good one. If you are worried about the light you have now, he should be ok for a couple of days until the new one arrives. My beardie will also occasionally close and eye or two. I am not sure why, but I think it is fairly normal. How close is the light to your beardie?

On the temp issue...the basking temps should be between 100-110 for them to digest properly. I personally try to keep my beardies temps around 101-102...because he also gapes alot if it gets hotter than that. He won't go near his basking spot if it gets much hotter than that. He poops and eats fine...and is growing like gangbusters, so those temps obviously work for him! Gaping isn't bad as long as your beardie has a cool side of the tank to retreat to if he gets too hot. Your beardie will move if he needs to. If it were me - I would try and get your temps up to at least 100 in the basking area - and as long as he still goes there to bask, it is probably not too hot for him.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
what is your UV B bulb?

some UV bulbs on the market are known to experienced breeders and even emerging scientific studies have shown to emit UV C which is harmful to living cells.

to give you an idea... UV C is used by hospitals to sterilize equipment.

Eye problems do to exposure is called "photo-krypto-konjunctivits" (I may be slightly off in the scientific spelling and etc) but regardless, its essentially burning of the eye.

Replacing the bulb with a healthy bulb will generally fix the problem.

Also, it is very important that you follow the manufacturers guidelines for the minimum/maximum distance the beardie can be from the bulb.
-
please respond with detailed specs of your set up and lighting equipment.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
also, check my signature for the scientific study I was talking about.

and, basking spot should 105/110 *(some say higher 115)

and my younger beardies did this too, which made me really nervous.

Just make sure they had the temperature grade and a convenient hide that gives them full coverage/shade from the light.

Also, make sure they get water :D

then you know they arent dehydrating from gaping.

BelovedCricket

Original Poster
I'm using a ReptiSun 10, which seems to be the best one according to folks on this forum? I also have a low wattage heatbulb - can't remember what the wattage is, but it's not much. She is in a 10gallon aquarium right now - to be moved up to a 40 gallon when she gets bigger. The lights sit on top of the screen on the top of the tank, and her basking area is only raised up about 3-4" or so. Her basking temps hover in the low 100s.

How long should the ReptiSun bulb be on during the day? I didn't think it was supposed to emit heat, but it seems to, as the temps are higher when it is on. I tend to turn it off sometime in the afternoon and just leave the heat lamp on, but didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
i am not familiar with that bulb personally but have heard good things, as long its not the compact version.

I think in general UV B should be on for about 14/12 hours and 2 hours less in the winter time.
-
check your manufacturers specs for exact info on that. The specs are also really important to make sure that your bulb is not too close or too far from your dragon, as both could have bad effects.

We would all be better off with one of the UV B detectors.. but I dont have that myself.
-
How big is your BD again? 10g may be tough for it, I know you are waiting for your 40g -- you may consider building it... there are some good guides on here.

keep in touch

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
I am using a Repti Glo 10.0 compact UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp bulb, I see in one of the guys names it says Repti-GLO is BAD! How come? and also, what should I be using if not a Repti-glo?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
kevindeeley12":80878 said:
I am using a Repti Glo 10.0 compact UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp bulb, I see in one of the guys names it says Repti-GLO is BAD! How come? and also, what should I be using if not a Repti-glo?
Hi
Actually any coil or compact bulb is dangerous for beardies as the uvb emissions fluctuate and sometimes go as high as borderline UVC levels.This is the dangerous type of radiation(the reason we wear sunblock) and it causes damage to there eyes as well as stunting growth,causing lack of appetite,lethargy and possible organ damage.Now the reptiglo 10.0 linear is also not recommended because its new and untested and has already shown some very dangerous problems associated with it because of the strength of uvb emission.If you must use that one then your beardie needs to be 10 inches away with and you must have a bright white light directly next to it.Now the reptisun 10.0 and the reptisun 5.0 have both been tested and have been the best flourescent uvb on the market for years.Another bulb that is good to use for those outside the USA is the Arcadia w/d3 flourescent.The other uvb option is Mercury Vapor Bulbs.MVB have the purest form of UVB and they also emit heat.They are flood lamps so they fit in a ceramic dome and they last 12 months as opposed to the 6months for flourescent uvb bulbs.The only downfall is they must be used in tanks 40 breeder or better and they have distance requirements of 12-18 inches depending on the wattage.The top MVB bulbs are the Megaray,TRex Active Heat,Powersun and I have heard some good things about the Solar Glo(dont confuse with Sunglo).Hope this helps.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
K, well I have a 10 gallon so the flood light/MVB's wont work. I will have to go for the Reptisun 10.0 fluorecent UVB, it sounds like a good one. I'm guessing it isnt so bright but still gives off the proper UVB rays. Also, for my basking light im using a "Exo Terra" Sun glo 50W bulb, im thinking of upgrading to a 75W because my temp under the basking spot is about 90-95. ummm... should i just upgrade to a ExoTerra 75W or is ExoTerra just a bad brand? Any ideas on a dif brand for a basking spot bulb?

Primo the Dragon is closing his eyes alot for a 5-7 second period so the light must already be bothering him, although its only been a day since hes been in the enclosure. This can't be good for him.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
kevindeeley12":dd828 said:
K, well I have a 10 gallon so the flood light/MVB's wont work. I will have to go for the Reptisun 10.0 fluorecent UVB, it sounds like a good one. I'm guessing it isnt so bright but still gives off the proper UVB rays. Also, for my basking light im using a "Exo Terra" Sun glo 50W bulb, im thinking of upgrading to a 75W because my temp under the basking spot is about 90-95. ummm... should i just upgrade to a ExoTerra 75W or is ExoTerra just a bad brand? Any ideas on a dif brand for a basking spot bulb?

Primo the Dragon is closing his eyes alot for a 5-7 second period so the light must already be bothering him, although its only been a day since hes been in the enclosure. This can't be good for him.
Thats alot of heat for a 10 gallon.Are you sure about te temps?How are you measuring them?When you say 90-95f do you mean air temp or basking surface temp?Its the basking surface you want to be 95f-110f if that is your air temp then its way too hot and he may be closing his eyes from dehydration and lethargy.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Umm, the thermometer is in the basking spot, so its around 90-95f in the basking spot, most always 90 actually. And when i go to the store i guess i should get another thermometer for the other side so i can tell how hot the NON basking spot is. I'm using a stick-on thermometer right now, and im aware they arent good. What are the good types of thermometers?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
kevindeeley12":8d502 said:
Umm, the thermometer is in the basking spot, so its around 90-95f in the basking spot, most always 90 actually. And when i go to the store i guess i should get another thermometer for the other side so i can tell how hot the NON basking spot is. I'm using a stick-on thermometer right now, and im aware they arent good. What are the good types of thermometers?
Ok get a digital thermometer with a probe.If you go to walmart you can get the one tats called an accurite indoor/outdoor themo with a probe.It takes 2 temp readings at once and humidity.You can find it in the hardware part of the store.Dont raise the bulb until you get one of these and make sure to let the probe sit on te spot for 45 minutes before reading.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
How hot should the Colder side of the 10 gallon enclosure be? I mean, the side opposite to the basking spot. ??? And then theres the problem of how do i know how hot the air around the enclosure is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom