eye problems

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I have a few questions about both of boy's eyes. Both of their eyes seem to be getting bigger and bigger all the time with eye infections here and there. Munchkin is going to the vet tomorrow for possible RI. I have the T-8 Arcadia UVB 12 inches off their back. I have read about zucchini, that they shouldn't get that very much, which I was feeding my roaches that all the time , which I have cut out completely 2 months ago. I have read it could be a vitamin a deficiency. I have turned off their UVB for a couple days to see if that helps. I need to ask the vet questions about this. This is a new vet, and was highly commanded, the last one didn't know much about beardies. Being out where the humidity is bad is why Munchkin has RI, which I have had the dehumidifier on the last couple of days to get it down to where it needs to be. Anyways, what kind of questions should I ask the vet about the eye problem? They are on shelf liner so nothing loose in their tanks, I clean up poop as soon as they go , so they are in clean tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_080804.jpg
    IMG_20230319_080804.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230319_080314.jpg
    IMG_20230319_080314.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 46

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a few questions about both of boy's eyes. Both of their eyes seem to be getting bigger and bigger all the time with eye infections here and there. Munchkin is going to the vet tomorrow for possible RI. I have the T-8 Arcadia UVB 12 inches off their back. I have read about zucchini, that they shouldn't get that very much, which I was feeding my roaches that all the time , which I have cut out completely 2 months ago. I have read it could be a vitamin a deficiency. I have turned off their UVB for a couple days to see if that helps. I need to ask the vet questions about this. This is a new vet, and was highly commanded, the last one didn't know much about beardies. Being out where the humidity is bad is why Munchkin has RI, which I have had the dehumidifier on the last couple of days to get it down to where it needs to be. Anyways, what kind of questions should I ask the vet about the eye problem? They are on shelf liner so nothing loose in their tanks, I clean up poop as soon as they go , so they are in clean tanks.
The lighting in the tank is a big thing for eyes -- so you have the T 8 bulb is it in the tank? If not it needs to be they are not strong enough to go thru screen and the distance should be 6-8 inches 12 inches is too far for a T 8 - basking bulbs -- they need to be a clear solid bright white bulb NO colored NO off white NO yellowish and NO daytime bulbs - there is a coating on the daytime bulbs neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking
instead.
Humidity in the tank is what? How are you getting it? Analogs are off - a digital probe hygrometer should be used - is he popping - having any type of breathing issues- lots of saliva in the mouth or nose or any wheezing ? these would all be signs of RI

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The T-8 UVB is in the tank, I have wood tanks, they have a 75 basking bulb, zoo med one at 98 degrees. Munchkin is over his RI, he had meds for a week, doing great now, Humidity has been high, I have the dehumidifier on in the living room which is really helping all of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T-8 UVB is in the tank, I have wood tanks, they have a 75 basking bulb, zoo med one at 98 degrees. Munchkin is over his RI, he had meds for a week, doing great now, Humidity has been high, I have the dehumidifier on in the living room which is really helping all of them.
Ok what is the humidity in your tanks and are they digital probe hygrometers? How far is the T 8 from the basking decor piece and is it directly over the basking decor

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom