Eye issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amckeown

We purchased my juvenile dragon and 12 days later he developed a swollen, goopy eye. Took him back and they gave him antibiotics and eye balm. We were able to pick him up because they said it was better. Day 1 of being back home and it looks just like it did before. They said it might just be a chronic eye issue that will never go away. I need help, we don't want to return him We just want it to clear up. Has anyone had issues with a recurring eye issue that doesn't heal with oral antibiotics or balms? He eats well, is active, and basks fine. He is growing so fast but his eye just gets swollen and shuts and gets weepy and crusty. They did a fecal and said he just has normal parasites nothing off other then his eye. We haven't tried honey, I don't know what kind to even get that would be safe. Help please.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell me what your using for a UVB? NO coils they are notorious for causing eye issues -- we need to find the cause before it can be fixed --- any colored bulb in the tank and what are you using for a substrate --- honey is a wonderful antibacterial for killing infections but you need to get raw unpasteurized honey -- lets start w/ lighting -- please post a pic of the eye
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Amckeown

Original Poster
I have a T5 coming today, but the petstore sold us a coil. That is what he has until the t5 ho 10.0 gets here...it says delivery today so I am hoping to get it set up as soon as we get it! I can't figure out how to post a picture(I'm using a smart phone), the eye when he has it open looks fine, no blood but it looks watery and swollen just a bit when it's closed. We clean it with a warm qtip and then use the terramycin eye gel we have for him. Substrate is a non adhesive shelf liners that we change weekly or when dirty. No colored bulbs just a ceramic heat bulb for nights and a basking lamp for day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When you get the T 5 let me know so I can help you get it placed- shut the coil off-- the link didn't work I posted?

Amckeown

Original Poster
111880-9727904638.jpg
We got the bulb, but the fixture was delayed, but coming today. So should I turn off the uvb coil today and he can go without until our fixture comes in? If the sun comes out today I can sit with him for a bit to get natural uvb if that would help. This is his eye when it is swollen and closed. When open it's wet and only slightly swollen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes shut coil off and sit w/ him outside place him in a plastic tote NO GLASS for 15 minutes DO NOT leave him - 15 min in tote or longer on you - when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed--- in the meantime you can rinse the eye w/ some regular saline no contact lenses stuff -- his eye could be swollen from shed as well they will tend to do that -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom