Eye bulging & closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

contessa20

Hatchling Member
Mango is 6 yrs. old and has always been in great health. Today I put in a new UV bulb to replace his old one and switched his heat bulbs to a higher wattage for winter and suddenly he's intermittently basking with his eyes closed and bulging. I know eye bulging is normal during shedding or if something gets in there but he's not currently shedding and he just got out of the tub so I don't know that it's either of those things. Honestly, it's kind of freaking me out. Any thoughts? Could the UV bulb be throwing out a higher amount of UV since it's brand new?

As for his husbandry, since I know you'll want to know: :D

He is housed in a 40g breeder with an open top and slider hood.
His UV is a ReptiSUN 10 and for heat I am using regular incandescent bulbs and a heat emitter.
Warm side temp. is 96.8 and the cool side is 82.0 using a digital thermometer with probe on each side and a temp gun.
Substrate is solid tile.
He is bathed once or twice a week.
His diet is based on the one from the Beautiful Dragons site and his primary feeders are Dubia with occasional Supers, Waxworms and Butters.
I just cleaned the glass with a Nolvasan solution and washed the rest of the tank components (hide, rock & tile) in the tub.

did you get any water in his eyes? what were you bathing him in? if you got water in his eyes and the water had chlorine or anything else in it, it could cause irritation. otherwise i dont know why he is doing this. :dontknow:

-Emzers & Oscar :D

contessa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding, Bearded Oscar. I don't think I got water in his eyes but I guess it's possible. He splashes and dunks his head on purpose though and I've never seen him react this way before. He also started hiding as well but then when I pulled him out yesterday he stayed on his basking log all day. I'm keeping a close eye on him and will re-post if he continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom