Extremely picky eater... I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Offer salads every morning and give him a few roaches at the end of the week. As long as he doesn't drop huge amounts of weight you can do this for 2, maybe 3 weeks.

Also, you can pick up a few wax worms and drop them in the salad as well. The movement might interest him and he might grab the worms and get salad with it.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright awesome! I'll make him a sweet potato, pumpkin, blueberry, red bell pepper, and squash salad. Maybe I'll try out some escarole or endive since I've never tried that with him before. I have little hopes that he'll eat it but if he doesn't, the roaches will. :p

Wish me luck haha. I'll update in the next week.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry to hear that. :/ It's been nearly two weeks since he's had a full meal of roaches, and yet he's still stubborn. He's now just lounging around all day in the same spot and doesn't even attempt to go eat his salad. I can get him to eat a couple bites of sweet potato or pumpkin, but otherwise he doesn't eat anything still...

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Offer him a few roaches tomorrow, and keep offering only salads. He'll get with it soon. Keep trying things, or veggies and fruits you tried long ago but haven't tried in a while. Their tastes change all the time, and any scraps can go to the roaches.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Okay to list what I've tried over his life time (and when I try something I do it for weeks or more). Maybe if someone hasn't tried some of these it will help, I dont know:
Increase basking spot heat
Try an inordinate variety of veggies and fruits and herbs
Chop them up
Offer bite size chunks
Leave them whole
Freeze the food
Boil the food
Offering it warm
Mix the food
Separate the food
Offer the food sprinkled around his tank
Offer the food in a bowl
Offer the food on a white paper towel so it stands out
Drench the food with water droplets
Take him out of the enclosure to feed him
Try to feed him outside (he will take a few bits of growing clover)
Drop the food in front of him
Wave the food in front of him
Put my finger in the bowl of food and make it move
Put bugs in the food live so they attract him
Slurry the food
Offer baby food
Hand feed
Feeding at diff times of the day
Starving him (nothing to eat for over a week)
Limiting him (bugs 1-2 a week and offering only veggies every day in between (this has gone on for months currently)
Leaving him be in his enclosure for a week
taking him out and loving on him every day
Stimulating him when I take him out
Taking him outside in the sun every day for 30-60 min
Opening his mouth .. and slipping something in to try to get him started
Tricking him (getting him to go for a bug but slipping in a leaf too)
Took him to the vet
Totally treated him for coccidia and pin worm counts that were acceptable to some people when I got him and he wasn't eating right.

I so hope I can edit this, because I've tried more things but cant remember them right now

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Geez, I really hate that others go through this. But this has been such a nightmare ... I'm so relieved to know I'm not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom