Extremely lethargic from shed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have had a bad heat spell here so I have had days where I had to leave all the enclosures open. I have always taken 100-105 ok but I'll see if I can downgrade lights see how that works. There have been days that I couldn't even turn the lights on honestly (basking). I do know that at night at times I can get it to drop around 75-80 degrees but since it's summer it's 85+. Now should I try to reduce it for both my beardies? One likes it any temp especially after a bath and then the other would rather stand near it not under it
80 is too warm for night time temps --- 75 is good --

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
80 is too warm for night time temps --- 75 is good --
I tried getting them lower even left my window open it's just how my room temp is normally. I have had it 65-75 at times in the winter but again room temp is the problem. They also have no light or heat at night to ensure the temp can be room temp

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I tried getting them lower even left my window open it's just how my room temp is normally. I have had it 65-75 at times in the winter but again room temp is the problem. They also have no light or heat at night to ensure the temp can be room temp
ok keep an eye on the room temp at night- do you have a fan that you can place in the window to draw in the night air?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ok keep an eye on the room temp at night- do you have a fan that you can place in the window to draw in the night air?
I do have a window fan and a stand up I can try to put the window fan in see if that will work. I also just installed a AC and obviously not in my room but the kitchen for my dogs and my room is off the kitchen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I do have a window fan and a stand up I can try to put the window fan in see if that will work. I also just installed a AC and obviously not in my room but the kitchen for my dogs and my room is off the kitchen
You can take one of those fans place in the kitchen by the air point it to your room it will blow cold air into your room if that is where the dragons are

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can take one of those fans place in the kitchen by the air point it to your room it will blow cold air into your room if that is where the dragons are
True I will see if I can plug the window in to blow some cold air in sadly I also have a ball python so I have to take his enclosure temp in to consideration. I think if I am able to correctly get my beardies temps at night I can see how my BPs temp is at the same time. So I will see what will work and what will be able to stay the way it is

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Mines is going through the same lazy patch with his shed. It’s starting to loosen so yesterday he moved on his own for the 1st time in atleast a mo. This is the longest shed he has ever had.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Mines is going through the same lazy patch with his shed. It’s starting to loosen so yesterday he moved on his own for the 1st time in atleast a mo. This is the longest shed he has ever had.
My Amber's is starting to get some loose shed around her beard and limbs and Chubbs hasn't started yet. Oddly enough I can't remember the last time I have had them both shedding together. What's funny is is that Amber is active even if she is in her hide she hangs out scoping around. Yet Chubbs is completely different and will be less active and hide her face to sleep in her hide. It's tough being a dragon even if they are lazy 😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As long as the cool side can be kept in the low to mid 80's i wouldn't turn their lights off. Maybe move them all the way to the end though to help maintain the cool end. Beardies know what temp they need and will move accordingly. If they can get there core to temp it's at temp. It really doesn't matter how it gets there. If they are up to temp they don't have to bask. Uvb is another story, they do need that,so if the basking light is keeping them out of the uvb i would rearrange it until the weather cools up a bit.
Its been 116 degrees here for a few weeks so i can relate to having to rearranged stuff.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I didnt realize you were talking night time temps, i got the message new post as i was posting lol. Opps :cool:

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I didnt realize you were talking night time temps, i got the message new post as i was posting lol. Opps :cool:
When i mean off I mean using a LED bulb for light but no heat so their basking will be say 95 but with a low watt bulb (30w-75w). But no matter what the temp is the UVB stays on today I have Chubbs at 90-95 with the enclosure open slightly. I had to use a 40W bulb for hers and Amber is around 95-101 with a 100w bulb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ok i follow. Basking bulbs are just for heat. If they are at the correct temp anyways they should be ok with out them. It's been 116 degrees here for a couple week. I been taking mine out on the covered patio. Most evenings they leave me a smelly gift lol. If their core temp gets to normal so food digest i don't think it really matters how it gets there.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok i follow. Basking bulbs are just for heat. If they are at the correct temp anyways they should be ok with out them. It's been 116 degrees here for a couple week. I been taking mine out on the covered patio. Most evenings they leave me a smelly gift lol. If their core temp gets to normal so food digest i don't think it really matters how it gets there.
Since the heat wave my beardies haven't been basking much but are at the core temps. They certainly are digesting food fine because I'm the one cleaning it up 😂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom