exhaling with open mouth?

spencer118

Hatchling Member
today i took june out because she looked bored and i layed down with her and she started breathing a little bit heavy and exhaling with an open mouth. she doesn't do it in her tank or at all, she isnt wheezing or coughing and shes very active and eats fine, she poops either everyday or every other day. the earliest i can go to the vet with her is in 3 weeks(bills coming up). humidity is around 40-50, basking temps 33-40 c, cool side 26-29, i use a reptisun 10.0 tube uvb. she has some stringy saliva but i always thought that it was from her food. she eats butternut squash, spaghetti squash, bell pepper, and some other stuff she gets occasionally. i hope it isnt as serious as a ri because she seems fine and normal.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The stringy saliva is a sign of dehydration. Just soaking them in a bath over leaving a water dish won't keep them hydrated. Use a syringe or an eye dropper and drop a drop on her snout and see if she will drink, if she won't you can add a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Be sure to clean her beard with a wet paper towel if you add fruit punch (you don't want to give bacteria a chance to get started). Also don't force the water in, and don't drop it in her mouth if she is gaping it could cause her to aspirate.

spencer118

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The stringy saliva is a sign of dehydration. Just soaking them in a bath over leaving a water dish won't keep them hydrated. Use a syringe or an eye dropper and drop a drop on her snout and see if she will drink, if she won't you can add a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Be sure to clean her beard with a wet paper towel if you add fruit punch (you don't want to give bacteria a chance to get started). Also don't force the water in, and don't drop it in her mouth if she is gaping it could cause her to aspirate.
i havent heard of the falvoring thing, i will try tomorrow right now she is chilling under the basking light lol

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
From my experience with my girl bandit, heavy exhales with stringy saliva was an RI. Please monitor closey. They don’t cough or wheeze really but can labor in breathing. I would make a doc appointment in your shoes because RIs get bad and fast. Gaping on the cool side is another big sign.

spencer118

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
From my experience with my girl bandit, heavy exhales with stringy saliva was an RI. Please monitor closey. They don’t cough or wheeze really but can labor in breathing. I would make a doc appointment in your shoes because RIs get bad and fast. Gaping on the cool side is another big sign.
i will watch her closely, today she seemed fine. i hope it doesnt get bad by the time i get a vet appointment for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Stringy saliva can be just normal unless it's constant. If you do ever add any juice to the water use only pure juice but not citrus, use a little 100 % grape.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
i will watch her closely, today she seemed fine. i hope it doesnt get bad by the time i get a vet appointment for her.
This behavior is called gaping. They do it to regulate their body temperature, and it's a good sign because it means that your basking spot is letting them reach their optimum basking temperature.

If it was too hot for them there, they'd move away for a bit to cool down.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom