Exhaling and breathing hard!

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
My baby beardie is exhaling really heard and breathing heavy what could that mean, I just looked over and he was doing this. Please I’m kind of freaking out, there are no 24 hour vets near me

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
My baby beardie is exhaling really heard and breathing heavy what could that mean, I just looked over and he was doing this. Please I’m kind of freaking out, there are no 24 hour vets near me
Some questions:

Did this occur after eating ?

Has he had a bath recently ?

How do you give him water ? (Spray bottle, eye dropper etc)

What is your tank humidity or the humidity of where you live ?

How often is the tank cleaned ?

Is there anything new in his tank that may have stressed him out ?

My guess is he may have something stuck in his throat. You can use a credit card/id or similar to prop open his mouth gently and look with a flashlight. This is best done with 2 - 3 people to hold the beardie still and use tweezers to remove the blockage.

If he’s aspirated anything, it’s likely he could have an infection and needs to see a vet. He could also get a respiratory infection from the tank temperatures not being adequate and the tank not being clean/too humid.

Please post updates ! And take to a vet asap !

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Some questions:

Did this occur after eating ?

Has he had a bath recently ?

How do you give him water ? (Spray bottle, eye dropper etc)

What is your tank humidity or the humidity of where you live ?

How often is the tank cleaned ?

Is there anything new in his tank that may have stressed him out ?

My guess is he may have something stuck in his throat. You can use a credit card/id or similar to prop open his mouth gently and look with a flashlight. This is best done with 2 - 3 people to hold the beardie still and use tweezers to remove the blockage.

If he’s aspirated anything, it’s likely he could have an infection and needs to see a vet. He could also get a respiratory infection from the tank temperatures not being adequate and the tank not being clean/too humid.

Please post updates ! And take to a vet asap !
He just took a bath but I watched him the whole time and he was only in there for a couple mins, his head never went under just a couple droplets on his head

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He keeps rubbing his face like he has nose pugs stuck, she just finished shedding but They aren’t there, is it possible a peace is still stuck inside that I can’t see and he cant get out

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon is shedding on the face & head area? A lot of times, they will do what you call a forced
exhalation type of behavior to stretch out skin to prepare for shedding, etc.
Could that possibly be what he was doing? Do you have a video of him doing this?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom