Excited for salads!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Not sure if it's in the right subforum, but I know a lot of us struggle to get our beardies to eat their salads. Mine were no exception! Until recently, now my girl goes crazy for them!

20230217_083328.jpg

20230217_083308.jpg

20230215_190632.jpg

It's only more recently she's eating everything in sight. I'll tell you what helped me to get her from being a picky eater to being excited to eat salads 😅

The simple answer is I put her on a diet!

I think we get so adjusted and as humans we show our love and will for our beloved pets to thrive by feeding them, but when I saw Charlie going up from 400g to nearly 450g I realised I was probably still feeding her too much, even after dropping the bugs to twice a week.

The vet suggested just 15-20 BSFL per feeding, just twice a week. I was shocked because they're so small.. it hurt me badly to make this shift but in doing so now my girl now finishes her daily salads 🤣

I still give her roaches and crickets as a swap once in while but now I have an 80% vegetarian beardie and I'm just so happy, because my previous dragons Oscar and Taro would turn their noses up at salads, and Charlie began to do this too when I tried introducing them from 6 months age.

What do you guys think? I know there is heaps of room for improvement on my girls diet (shes still overweight! But she seems so hungry when i feed her 😢) tell me some of your tips and tricks to get your beardies nutrituon right 😊 any further advice you could offer on a beardie who's dieting ? Is it appropriate to give daily salads or 2nd daily ?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Not sure if it's in the right subforum, but I know a lot of us struggle to get our beardies to eat their salads. Mine were no exception! Until recently, now my girl goes crazy for them!

View attachment 77979
View attachment 77980
View attachment 77981

It's only more recently she's eating everything in sight. I'll tell you what helped me to get her from being a picky eater to being excited to eat salads 😅

The simple answer is I put her on a diet!

I think we get so adjusted and as humans we show our love and will for our beloved pets to thrive by feeding them, but when I saw Charlie going up from 400g to nearly 450g I realised I was probably still feeding her too much, even after dropping the bugs to twice a week.

The vet suggested just 15-20 BSFL per feeding, just twice a week. I was shocked because they're so small.. it hurt me badly to make this shift but in doing so now my girl now finishes her daily salads 🤣

I still give her roaches and crickets as a swap once in while but now I have an 80% vegetarian beardie and I'm just so happy, because my previous dragons Oscar and Taro would turn their noses up at salads, and Charlie began to do this too when I tried introducing them from 6 months age.

What do you guys think? I know there is heaps of room for improvement on my girls diet (shes still overweight! But she seems so hungry when i feed her 😢) tell me some of your tips and tricks to get your beardies nutrituon right 😊 any further advice you could offer on a beardie who's dieting ? Is it appropriate to give daily salads or 2nd daily ?
I think you're doing a great job.
Some beardies won't eat salad at all.!

Big improvements it sounds like.!
450G sounds pretty average.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
Our Mango LOVES them too!
I’m so happy that we didn’t really have to coax him at all. One day he just started to eat them when we put them in his cage. Now he’ll pretty much just eat all the salad we put in for him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom