Estinien is having trouble

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the help. I'm going to experiment with water bowl placement and a humidifier and just keep a close eye on him. Sorry for posting a lot, I'm an anxious person if that isn't already extremely apparent.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We all know exactly how you feel! I think they all cause us undue anxiety from time to time. It's hard
not to worry about them if their behavior is off a little bit.
Do you take the water bowl out at night? That would be a good to take it out overnight just to be sure
he doesn't accidentally fall asleep in it & possibly drown.
You can post as much as you would like!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

We all know exactly how you feel! I think they all cause us undue anxiety from time to time. It's hard
not to worry about them if their behavior is off a little bit.
Do you take the water bowl out at night? That would be a good to take it out overnight just to be sure
he doesn't accidentally fall asleep in it & possibly drown.
You can post as much as you would like!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Thank you, I'll make sure I remove the water bowl at night! He seems to be doing ok this morning, picked him up to check on him and set him down near his salad and he took a big bite. The water bowl doesn't seem to be doing enough for humidity so I'm looking into a humidifier for near his tank. Humidity seems to go up over night, but starts to dissipate as soon as the lights turn on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you, I'll make sure I remove the water bowl at night! He seems to be doing ok this morning, picked him up to check on him and set him down near his salad and he took a big bite. The water bowl doesn't seem to be doing enough for humidity so I'm looking into a humidifier for near his tank. Humidity seems to go up over night, but starts to dissipate as soon as the lights turn on.
That is normal ---

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, it seems like how I have his basking and heating is all out of whack and im trying to fix it but it feels like im hitting a brick wall with consistency and humidity. He now has a 100w basking light which is getting his basking spot anywhere from 96 to 103 but ambient temps tend to trend lower near high 80s, and I use a CHE (not sure wattage at the moment) on his cool side because he is in my basement office and it keeps his cool side anywhere from high 70s to low 80s. However, this seems to be just zapping humidity down between 10 and 20 and even then ambient tems seem to be low. I'm going to be trying a humidifier next to his enclosure as soon as I get home, but the room itself is around 50 to start so I'm not sure how much that will help.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, it seems like how I have his basking and heating is all out of whack and im trying to fix it but it feels like im hitting a brick wall with consistency and humidity. He now has a 100w basking light which is getting his basking spot anywhere from 96 to 103 but ambient temps tend to trend lower near high 80s, and I use a CHE (not sure wattage at the moment) on his cool side because he is in my basement office and it keeps his cool side anywhere from high 70s to low 80s. However, this seems to be just zapping humidity down between 10 and 20 and even then ambient tems seem to be low. I'm going to be trying a humidifier next to his enclosure as soon as I get home, but the room itself is around 50 to start so I'm not sure how much that will help.
Where is the che? Basements are usually moist w/ humidity what is the humidity in the basement? Try a basking bulb or a house hold bulb not a LED regular in the middle of the tank like a 75 watt see if that brings your ambient temps up- you want 80ish on cool side

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Where is the che? Basements are usually moist w/ humidity what is the humidity in the basement? Try a basking bulb or a house hold bulb not a LED regular in the middle of the tank like a 75 watt see if that brings your ambient temps up- you want 80ish on cool side
CHE is on his cool side. Humidity is around 50 in the basement. Sadly I'm still using a tank that has a plastic split top so I'm unable to put anything in the middle. I can try rearranging a little where I can to see if it helps. I plan on ordering the dubiaroaches.com 4x2x2 enclosure, I was just trying to get him through whatever this is first so I didn't add relocation stress issues. Mostly I'm just confused as he seemed to be thriving before.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
CHE is on his cool side. Humidity is around 50 in the basement. Sadly I'm still using a tank that has a plastic split top so I'm unable to put anything in the middle. I can try rearranging a little where I can to see if it helps. I plan on ordering the dubiaroaches.com 4x2x2 enclosure, I was just trying to get him through whatever this is first so I didn't add relocation stress issues. Mostly I'm just confused as he seemed to be thriving before.
Your tank should be around 50 then - how are you getting the humidity ? Analog or a digital probe ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I picked this up yesterday and have been using it. Previously i used something like this.
Ok the analog is off --- not sure about the Thrive 2 n 1 - I use the Exo Terra probe hygrometer- I am not hot on Thrive products unless its maybe a piece of decor but most of my decor was purchased from Pet Smart before they went to this Thrive stuff - its called All Living Things and I dont think they carry that anymore - I got my hygrometer from dubiaroaches.com heres the link Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok the analog is off --- not sure about the Thrive 2 n 1 - I use the Exo Terra probe hygrometer- I am not hot on Thrive products unless its maybe a piece of decor but most of my decor was purchased from Pet Smart before they went to this Thrive stuff - its called All Living Things and I dont think they carry that anymore - I got my hygrometer from dubiaroaches.com heres the link Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
Thanks, going to see if I can find that locally. I've heard some people mist to help with humidity, would that be an option?

This is the basking bulb I have currently, would a different bulb potentially help with ambient temps? This one has a "focused beam" for heat.

20230121_141139.jpg

As of now he's crawled into his hide on the warm side to sleep, still no interest in his buggies and he picked at his turnip greens, bell pepper, and zuchinni.

Last edited:

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so I think I have his temps under control again now, cool side was mid to low 80s and hot side is much better most of the issue was me opening and closing the doors constantly tinkering. Still working on humidity, going to leave a humidifier running for a bit and see if it helps, still wondering if I should try misting. He's just sleepy today, hoping part of this is just a combination of slowing down because he's getting older and the time of year.

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so got a spray bottle and tried misting, raised humidity to 46 at first and dropped back down to 34 pretty quickly. Still no interest in food today, other than a couple pieces of blueberry I hand fed him. He just wants to sleep in his hide, might have something to do with me poking and prodding and moving things around a lot chasing temps and humidity.

Update: already back down to 20ish again already. Bah. I also ordered an exotera in case this one is faulty, it just won't be here for a few days.

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, best not to move things around and stress him too much. BTW , I can't remember why you are trying for the higher humidity, is it to help with shedding ? Because 20ish is low but it's not unhealthy or anything. Another thing you can try to raise the humidity is to get a small plastic container and make pretty big holes all over it, like pencil sized , put a wash cloth in it and wet it very thoroughly. Keep it in the mid range heat zone. Add water anytime it seems to be drying out and wash it with dish soap and vinegar every week but rinse it well.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom