Enlarged heart

Hi, so I am a little new here. I have a bearded dragon who is about maybe 6 years old. He had lost appetite so I took him to the vet. After some X Rays, it appears he has an enlarged heart and fluid build up around it. He was given Critical care herbivore, TMS Suspension and metacam. I am unsure what to do anymore and worries about him. At times it seems that he is improving but at times he just looks so lethargic. Has anyone had this happen before? I would appreciate any advise. Thank you!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, sorry to hear of the heart issues. There have been several cases on here, over the
years of enlarged hearts. I think it is mostly genetics but can sometimes be diet related. Is his
weight normal?
We can review your tank setup, diet, etc if you need to be sure everything is correct.
Are you keeping him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his system? We usually recommend
75-80F overnight for comfort.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Emyleemeneses

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor guy, sorry to hear of the heart issues. There have been several cases on here, over the
years of enlarged hearts. I think it is mostly genetics but can sometimes be diet related. Is his
weight normal?
We can review your tank setup, diet, etc if you need to be sure everything is correct.
Are you keeping him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his system? We usually recommend
75-80F overnight for comfort.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Spike passed away yesterday, his health declined quite quickly.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im sorry to hear about spike. They are wonderful pets and become part of the family

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry about little Spike...:cry: He must have been very critical. It is the worst feeling
to lose them, no matter how young or old they are.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

Emyleemeneses

Original Poster
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry about little Spike...:cry: He must have been very critical. It is the worst feeling
to lose them, no matter how young or old they are.
My condolences to you.

Tracie
Thank you so much I really appreciate that ❤️ Seeing him in pain was honestly the worst thing ever. It's honestly been really difficult and he's my first pet ever so I've never experienced losing a pet before. But I'll always love him, thank you again.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Please dont let your loss turn you off the beardies.when your ready by all means get another. I have lost 2 in 3 years. I still miss them both but if anything it makes me appreciate the ones i have now even more.
My one piece of advice, when you are ready, try to get it directly from a know breeder. They can tell you more about the genetics and over all health. Or adopt one that needs a loving home.

Emyleemeneses

Original Poster
Please dont let your loss turn you off the beardies.when your ready by all means get another. I have lost 2 in 3 years. I still miss them both but if anything it makes me appreciate the ones i have now even more.
My one piece of advice, when you are ready, try to get it directly from a know breeder. They can tell you more about the genetics and over all health. Or adopt one that needs a loving home.
Oh I definitely want another beardie. I feel like at this moment I'm not exactly ready but I will be getting one for sure, I even already thought about the name. A lot of people have advised me to buy him from an actual breeder or rescue as well. I got spike from Petco and they did not really know anything about him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Breeders are the best if you want specific traits also for hardy dragons.
Giving a home to a rescue is also great, alot of these dragons are severely mistreated and neglected. It's absolutely heart wrenching. They all deserve a loving home. The one thing i would caution about rescues is that they can have alot of health issues. Some can be really expensive to deal with or it might shorten there life, which is right back to heart wrenching.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom