End of life

Bugbug13

Beardie name(s)
BOB
I'm looking for some advice on end of life care please my Female her name is Bob and she is now 10 years old. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was my biggest Dragon at one point weighing almost 800 grams . She stopped eating roughly 2 months ago . I started to worry when she turned her nose up to horn worms. This is breaking my heart she has dropped so much weight . I know that this is the end for her . I refuse to euthanize her due to the way its done I worked in a vet . I am also a retired nurse she been hanging on for weeks. In human palliative care we stopped food and fluids. She has not opened her eyes now for 6 weeks . She does not seem to be in any distress at all she is just sleeping. I guess I want her to go out on her terms she is dehydrated and her eyes are sunken in now the top of her head her muscles in her arms and legs have atrophied and she has has no bladder bowel activity. I feel so bad I keep her out of her tank and keep her on my chest. She does open her mouth as if she's hot I keep blankets on her. This is already so difficult my question is should I still be giving her water. She used to love to swim the last time I put her in the tub she did nothing. Please I feel so lost. When I was a nurse palliative care we stopped Foo and water my husband wants me to give water and I can by syringe or put her tub. I feel so cruel right now and confused I know I can't bring her back would hydration prolong the inevitable.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Maybe try to drip just a little on her nose with an eye dropper and let it seep into her mouth if she wants it she should start to lap at it. You can try adding a little none citrus fruit punch to add flavor. Be really careful though if you go to fast you couls aspirate her.
I'm really sorry to hear she is nearing the end, they are not pets they are family, and we love them just as much as people. I know it doesn't help but for her to live 10 years you were taking good care of her.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom