Encosure top

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We just got a 48x24x15 CDPVC tank. (Equivalent to 90 gallons) downside is it was for a snake previously so the top is solid, no holes for lights or anything. (We have two domes with the basking bulb and our uv bulb)

We don't want to cut holes in the tank, if we don't have it. It was originally 400$ tank. We tried going to home depot to get some metal mesh to just adhere it to the tank after taking the top off and putting some wooden slats on top to make it more sturdy and allow the domes to sit on it. (We realized the wood may burn so I bought light stands that will be here Wednesday) but we just couldn't get the mesh to not dip in the middle of the tank, we just couldn't get it tight enough.

What's a cheap way to make a top that prevents our Toothless from escaping and won't burn from our lights.? Nothing fancy, i just feel like we're oversimplifying this whole mesh thing or something. Or if someone has a better idea. Photo of the tank with the original lid and my fat boy for attention.

Attachments

• 20221017_162358.jpg
    20221017_162358.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221024_175137.jpg
    20221024_175137.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We just got a 48x24x15 CDPVC tank. (Equivalent to 90 gallons) downside is it was for a snake previously so the top is solid, no holes for lights or anything. (We have two domes with the basking bulb and our uv bulb)

We don't want to cut holes in the tank, if we don't have it. It was originally 400$ tank. We tried going to home depot to get some metal mesh to just adhere it to the tank after taking the top off and putting some wooden slats on top to make it more sturdy and allow the domes to sit on it. (We realized the wood may burn so I bought light stands that will be here Wednesday) but we just couldn't get the mesh to not dip in the middle of the tank, we just couldn't get it tight enough.

What's a cheap way to make a top that prevents our Toothless from escaping and won't burn from our lights.? Nothing fancy, i just feel like we're oversimplifying this whole mesh thing or something. Or if someone has a better idea. Photo of the tank with the original lid and my fat boy for attention.
Flagging to Cooper Dragon
@CooperDragon

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
What I’ve done is use a cage around the lights, and cut a few holes in the top to hold the cage in. I can get a picture soonish as an example.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Did you decide to go with the powersun all in one ? Please don't use a coil uvb.
You could just get a small square of wood to put on top maybe 4 to 6 inches, and pick up a ceramic base the has a socket like the old time lights in a house. Cut a small hole in the board and the cage(to run the cord through (maybe 3/8 - 1/2 inch) and screw right through the cage top into the board with the 2 mounting screws. That shound be pretty strudy. Just be careful the bulb isn't to close to your beardie, and that he can't accidentally touch it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you decide to go with the powersun all in one ? Please don't use a coil uvb.
You could just get a small square of wood to put on top maybe 4 to 6 inches, and pick up a ceramic base the has a socket like the old time lights in a house. Cut a small hole in the board and the cage(to run the cord through (maybe 3/8 - 1/2 inch) and screw right through the cage top into the board with the 2 mounting screws. That shound be pretty strudy. Just be careful the bulb isn't to close to your beardie, and that he can't accidentally touch it.
No closer than 6" please

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We have a powersun that says it's all in one.? But because his hot zone is a wide area, it's not enough heat/uvb so we also have a thrive basking.

We're going to home depot to get moldable mesh that's like an inch thick or so and we're going to bend it over the top of the cage to make a lid and secure it to the tank with either some wood and zip ties or something like that. Fingers crossed it'll actually work out because I'm not handy at allllll.😅

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Also, we're worried with screwing the light straight into the lid, it'll burn him or something because it's only 15 inches tall and with it hanging from a socket, it'll be even closer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also, we're worried with screwing the light straight into the lid, it'll burn him or something because it's only 15 inches tall and with it hanging from a socket, it'll be even closer.
Basking light needs to be no closer than 6'-- you can get a light guard for it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom