Enclosure Setup Fields

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
This topic has come up many times in the past...

The scenario... a new member signs up. They post their question/thread. Sometimes, they include some details about their setup. Sometimes, they include a picture. But in most cases, everyone needs to know more about the basic setup that they have. And so, the discussion threads spend much of the time focused on setup questions. I know this has come up recently... but promise me... it ain't new. :)

I've thought about the idea of custom profile fields to try and capture the basics of someone's setup, but felt that the old system didn't make it easy enough to ensure people actually fill it out. But... I'm hopefully that since our site upgrade, we might have some better ways to encourage people to do so before they post their questions.

My thought is this:
I want to create custom profile fields for the various bits of information we most often need to ask about. I am even looking into an ability to have a "custom field" be pictures they can upload, which in itself can answer questions and is a question frequently asked ("post a pic of your setup"). When new members register and activate their account, the system automatically sends them a no-reply Welcome "conversation" (aka PM/DM) from the BD .org account (unmonitored admin account). Mostly, that is a friendly welcome message to help people figure out how to post their first thread. I was thinking that I could modify the welcome message to first request that they update their Enclosure Setup profile fields (giving them the link straight to them).

I haven't figured out how, but I am hoping I can find a way to add a banner (like I have "Administrator", or the Photo Comp Winners have their banner) so it can be easily identified if people have filled out the fields.

So my question to all of you (anyone who helps answer questions for others)...

What do we need to know? I'd like to brainstorm on what fields we think would help... but also not overwhelm a new member.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I'll start...

• Enclosure Dimensions
  • Primary feeder(s)
  • Temperatures (Cool side, warm side, basking spot)
  • UVB light
    • brand & model
    • Coil or tube
    • On top of screen or inside enclosure
  • Type of substrate (people might be afraid of that one, given how hot a topic it is :) )
I also think one "custom field" should be a picture (or more) of the setup. I am looking at an add-on to the forum system that will allow for images as a custom field (not supported natively).

KimM

As a new member, I think this is a splendid idea! (y) I spent a good part of my initial post typing all of that information instead of what I was truly needing to discuss.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You've got it off to a good start , those are all important aspects of helpful info. It's also important to mention, what age + what size the dragon is right off the bat and how long they have owned it.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
are we looking for enclosure specific only, or general care topics? if general, what about our favorite, totally normal conversation topic, POOP!

i'm having a hard time envisioning what you mean as far as the custom profile fields. i'm sure once i see it in place it will make total sense. i almost remember when i joined that there was a list to fill out with that information, but i rarely saw it used. maybe it is just buried in all the past posts.

one problem i can see running into would be an "absolutely never owned beardie before" users not having a clue what the fields are asking for because they don't know the terminology

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
you've covered most of it already. How you measure your temps that's a good one. Age and sex, supplementing with what? and how often... maybe lol I think you covered most of it up top Beardie

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I like the idea of poop info since it is such a great indicator of health. Maybe keep it simple for purposes of the registration questionnaire so we don't overwhelm newbies as beardie mentioned. Frequency and general appearance maybe? It also depends on how much we want to go into general health vs getting a quick snapshot of the husbandry to avoid having to ask those same questions over and over again for every new post.

I would definitely be excited to see a dedicated poop forum, or even a subforum to health. I never thought I would be so obsessed with the pooping habits of another living thing before I got my beardie!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
yeah I poke and prod the poop makes my wife sick haha. I want to know how hard the urate is and everything everytime. 💩

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
You've covered most of the basics in your intial post. I would add a field for how long they have their daylight cycle set to and if they supplement heat overnight. Also agree with listing their supplement regime because its an important one. A lot of people don't realise that a multi-vitamin / D3 system is needed as well and just use calcium powder.

Personally I think this is a great idea because a lot of the posts do start off with having to ask multiple questions about their set up.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I'll start...

• Enclosure Dimensions
  • Primary feeder(s)
  • Temperatures (Cool side, warm side, basking spot)
  • UVB light
    • brand & model
    • Coil or tube
    • On top of screen or inside enclosure
  • Type of substrate (people might be afraid of that one, given how hot a topic it is :) )
I also think one "custom field" should be a picture (or more) of the setup. I am looking at an add-on to the forum system that will allow for images as a custom field (not supported natively).
Good idea!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
These are all good ideas. It seems like we are starting to break this out into topics which mirror the forum sections. Perhaps we can build separate databases or automod question for each area of focus that would need to be/encouraged to be filled out before posting a new thread to a corresponding forum section.
Poop type & frequency, dragon's weight, length, etc for the health section.
Typical diet, supplementation schedule, etc for the feeding/feeders section.
Enclosure info for the enclosures section.

I think the focus on this specific thread is to build an initial database for each user to include their setup info, which would be useful across all sections. The key questions for this have been touched on already:
Enclosure Dimensions
Surface temperatures (basking and cool areas) and how they are being measured
Basking light type
UVB light brand and type
Distance between UVB light and basking surface
Does the UVB light shine through a top Y/N
Setup photo(s)

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom