Enclosure questions for a beardie as a classroom pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherallison

Hello everyone! My name is Cher and I'm a Montessori teacher. I work with primary students, age 6 and under, but mostly with kindergarten. We are encouraged to care for a variety of animals in our rooms, preferably at least one animal from all vertebrate classes (mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, and amphibians). Admittedly, I really struggle with this because we give a lot of attention to my pets at home, and I don't like the idea of caged animals hanging out alone for long periods of time. This rules out mammals and birds for me, and I already have an aquarium. After considering it for a long time, I decided on a bearded dragon. One of my friends has a beardie in her classroom and it seems to be really working out well. He seems happy, healthy, and the children really love him. Plus, it bothers me a little less knowing that they tend to be more solitary in the wild. I've done my research and I've planned my enclosure, but I'm still a little confused. Here is what I've got going on so far:

I picked up a second hand 40 gallon breeder tank with a screen. I plan to move my beardie into something larger eventually (i.e. something between 75-125 gallons), but I am waiting for a good deal on Craigslist.)

I plan to buy the following at Pet Mountain in the next couple of days:

24 inch Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb ( I plan to get a fixture at Walmart)
100 watt CHE
Reptile cage carpet for 40 gallon breeder tank
2 extra deep dome fixtures for the CHE and the basking light
A basking light (I figured I'd get this locally; I understand a halogen or flood light is okay. Any recommendations on wattage for a 40 gallon?)
A gun-type thermometer
Herptivite with beta carotene
Ultrafine powder calcium (I'm confused about whether I need it with D3 or not; one source I read said that research shows that beardies absorb almost all of their calcium from their UVB lights, not from their calcium powder)
24 hour terrarium timer 8-plug (we live in Reno, NV, and my school can get cold at night in the winter, so I want to be sure my beardie is properly set up with a CHE that can be adjusted).
The tank came with a small water dish and a hiding log.

If anyone has any specific suggestions on which lamps to get, or anything I might be missing, please let me know.

From Big Apple:

I'm very attracted to the basking perches at Big Apple. They seem so nice and smooth, and they seem like they might be more comfortable than gnarled wood. I'm just not sure which size to get. The large one is 18"-23" L x 10"-14" W and they look like this: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apples-Java-Wood-Single-Basking-Perch

Is that size okay for a typical young adult in a 40 gallon tank? I'm really attached to this branch for some reason, but it's going to take a while for it to get across the country, and it's the one thing that will hold me up from getting my beardie all set up. (The rest of the stuff only takes two days to arrive).

For now, I plan to feed crickets as the main protein source, but I've talked to some other teachers this week about creating a dubia roach colony that can supply other reptiles and arachnids in our school as well. It would be cool for our students to learn about the life cycle of insects, and each classroom with a reptile could be caretaker for a month and then pass it on. Plus, I don't think any of us want a big stinky cricket bin in our classrooms (and our alarm company doesn't like the chirping at night from the small cricket enclosures that some teachers already have).

Even so, I'm worried about leaving a beardie alone on the weekend. My friend does it, but I'd rather not drive to school on Saturdays; I don't live close. I know she doesn't do that, but based on things I've read here, it sounds like I should. Here are my questions:

1) Is it better for a classroom beardie to stay alone in the school over the weekend, with a safe, carefully planned enclosure, or is it better to transport him to my house and keep him in a different enclosure over the weekend? It seems as thought the constant stress of rehousing would be a problem, but I'd like your advice. I did a search on this and found a few responses, but not many.

Even though there are some really beautiful dragons online, I feel it would be most responsible for me to find an older animal. It will be easier (and cheaper) to feed her and I know an older animal will be more established and hardier. There isn't much on Craigslist, but a local pet store has recently acquired three adults (they say they are a bit older than a year). One is a female and she seems to be 12-15 inches long (I didn't think to measure her when I was there). I've got my eye on her; she seems just right for my classroom.

Thanks to anyone in advance who actually reads all of this and responds. :D Any suggestions your may have would be extremely helpful.

Cher

Doublet74

Hatchling Member
Ok Im not going to tackle all of your questions but I can answer one. As for supplements you could save yourself a whole lot of aggravation by just getting Repashy Calcium Plus and dust every feeding with it. It is an all in one supplement. Just makes life alot easier. You can get it at http://www.repashy.com.
BTW I think your ideas are fantastic. I wish more teachers would keep reptiles and animals in general in their classrooms. There is alot to learn and be taught about them. Good Luck.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Wow, you were extremely thorough in your research, I can appreciate that. Your setup seems okay to me, except that I have a bunch of 6-inch tiles as the floor because I can take them out and clean them easier if I have to. Your idea about the roach colony sounds fantastic, you seem like a very caring teacher, not only about your own pets and your own students, but the people and animals around you too. This is an amazing idea, and you can use a timer for your lights to turn on an hour before school starts, so your beardie is awake and ready for food in the morning, and you can time them to go off later in the evening so he can sleep all night. If you don't want to buy a basking log from BigApple, you can actually have your students help make one. They can come up with the design for it however they want, an adult would have to help build it, and then the kids can even paint it if they want to. The DIY section of this site has some cool building ideas for something like that, except those might be a little too grown up for kindergartners, so I don't see why you can't make it out of a kid-friendly material like clay that you can paint, bake and then seal and place in the tank. Even if you don't want to do that for something as large as a basking platform, the kids can make little decorations for the tank as well, as long as they're sterilized.
As for the transporting back and forth to school, I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure someone will come along with one.

This is a great idea and I'm very excited to see how everything turns out!

cherallison

Original Poster
Thanks for the info about the supplements and the ideas for a DIY project. I thought calcium had to be taken separately from certain other vitamins in order to absorb properly, but if that's not the case, it will definitely make things easier.

As for the idea of creating a basking area, it sounds great, except this is time sensitive and I don't thing I can get it put together by next week; it's the end of the quarter and between assessments, parent conferences, and several school events, it'll be challenging enough as it is just to get the setup right. :) I may just end up buying something local.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
What came to my mind is the idea of a webcam for the weekend.That way you can make sure that the lights are on(in case of a power outtage or a light is broken etc) and you can watch her in general.
Does your friend(with the bearded dragon) teach at the same school?If yes maybe you can take turns with her feeding the Dragons on the weekend.

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
An adult is perfectly okay to go without live food at the weekend - Hige already goes Sundays without any, so as long as you fed enough during the week you'd be okay. With regards to greens, i had an idea:

Why not feed all the appropriate greens, veg and crix/dubias during the week and at the weekend have one of those automatic digital food dispensers you get for cats? You could source a decent pellet food and place them in the feeder and if you wanted you could put some phoenix worms in too - if the sides are steep/smooth enough and moisture free they shouldn't escape - and if they do i dont think phoenix worms really bite. You could get one of the multi-bowl ones and time it to go off whenever your guy will normally feed. See:

http://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/p-12719-savic-dinner-time-double.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/100573/PetSafe-2-Meal-Feeder.aspx

You could set up a live web cam link to his cage at the weekends and evenings so you can check on him - and the kids can too :) You could turn it off during the weekday so there's no issues with the kids being on a web live cam or just train it directly onto just the tank. I think someone else has done it here too - they may be able to tell you how.

Your set up sounds cool - hope this helps!

cherallison

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. :) The food dispenser sounds interesting. My friend actually doesn't come in to the school on the weekends; she feeds her beardie on Friday night and Monday morning. He seems robust and healthy.

Has anyone had any luck with moving a bearded dragon for the weekend? I may be able to put together a basic enclosure at my house and just bring her home on Friday. I'm just not sure if that would be more stressful than leaving her alone. I did end up paying for a year-old adult female at a local pet store on Friday. They said they would hold her for me, so I'm really excited!

Cher

brezofleur

Cher, I'm just curious how everything has worked out for you? I'm trying to convince my teacher friend to have a beardie in her classroom :D

josvance313

I would be careful using roaches in a classroom. Roaches can inflame asthma and as a fellow teacher, I know you probably have several students with asthma. I got a bearded dragon for my classroom this fall with the Pets in the Classroom grant. The students LOVE the bearded dragon and she loves them. She is always showing off for them. A bearded dragon will make a great addition to your room and become a new focal point.

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
Great idea! My wife got the Pets in the Classroom grant from Petsmart and her kids absolutely love it! We got some DIY greens from Cheryl at Beardedragon.co and te kids are growing them along with morphing supers ! Great everyday science experiment. We live 3 minutes away so going up there on the weekends isn't bad. Th webcam idea sounds cool and also the Phoenix worms. Just make sure their bowl is completely dry and they shouldn't climb out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom