Enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I am looking for some suggestions in regards to lighting on my girls cage. So she is currently in a 4x2x2 wooden custom enclosure. She is on tile substrate. I currently have an Arcadia t5 36" fixture with a 14% bulb in (I know ill be changing to a 12 % bulb next month). As for her basking bulb its a generic 50 watt from petsmart. So her temp on basking area seems to run about 99-101, not side runs about 94 and her cool only drops below 82 at night. I have seen her often gaping on the cool of the enclosure so I just want to make sure that I have everything set up correadly. She has also been the absolute worst about eating her salads and really isn't super active during the day when I'm at work. Another reason I want to be sure. I have included a picture of my little booger as well as one of the enclosure set up any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
111034-7600745614.jpg
111034-7396234502.jpg

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
MyBabyFaith":1ppdt3wa said:
Hello everyone!

I am looking for some suggestions in regards to lighting on my girls cage. So she is currently l in a 4x2x2 wooden custom enclosure. She is on tile substrate. I currently have an Arcadia t5 36" fixture with a 14% bulb in (I know ill be changing to a 12 % bulb next month). As for her basking bulb its a generic 50 watt from petsmart. So her temp on basking area seems to run about 99-101, not side runs about 94 and her cool only drops below 82 at night. I have seen her often gaping on the cool of the enclosure so I just want to make sure that I have everything set up correadly. She has also been the absolute worst about eating her salads and really isn't super active during the day when I'm at work. Another reason I want to be sure. I have included a picture of my little booger as well as one of the enclosure set up any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
111034-7600745614.jpg
111034-7396234502.jpg

Ps: I have also added more items since this photo.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The enclosure looks really nice & bright. The Arcadia T5 14% is fine, no problem with that one
it has great UVB exposure.
What is the distance from her to the UVB?
It looks like you are using a digital probe to measure temperatures?
If she is an adult it is possible she is trying to slow down some, for brumation. This time of year
is the most common time for them to slow down.
Is she maintaining her weight right now?

Tracie

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Drache613":uwqqnj6j said:
Hello,

The enclosure looks really nice & bright. The Arcadia T5 14% is fine, no problem with that one
If she is an adult it is possible she is trying to slow down some, for brumation. This time of year
Tracie

I will measure the distance in the morning as I’m not sure on the exact number. It definitely tends to stay pretty bright I just had many people say the should over lap so I want to be sure I’m all set up correctly. I do have the digital gages on both sides but also check with a temp gun at lease once a day. The gun usually reads a few degrees higher. And g he we basking is a 100 watt not a 50, not sure why I initially put 50.

As for her weight it doesn’t seem to have changed much nor her behavior, aside from wanting to hide/be left alone more often. She never really wants her salads, but she’s always been that way since I got her in February. The lady that has her said she was 4 this year. She just wants her bsfl and supers. I was thinking brumation could be some of the cause for her appetite.

I’ll also add a pic with the current decor to see if you may have any additional suggestions. I just want to be sure I’m providing her with the best life and comfort that I can!! I appreciate the help.

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Drache613":1gflfrz0 said:
Hello,

Tracie

I was able to measure the heights on the bulbs and her uvb tube is 21” from the bulb to the bottom of the tank and the basking bulb Is 18” away from the tank bottom. Thank you again for the help!!

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Drache613":8jcb6vtx said:
Hello,

Tracie

Any help would really be appreciated from ANYONE here at this point. Everyone says that it’s better posting her than on Facebook book but I seldom ever get anyone responding to my questions on here. It’s quite frustrating. I’m just trying to give my girl her best life and I’m struggling with all the information that’s out there.

He belly is a mess of stress marks lately and I can’t help but think it’s because doing something working or something with her husbandry is off. I’d really appreciate any advice anyone has!!! :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Your setup is fine. No need to change to the 12%. The 14% works fine in your tank, especially since you don't have much climbing height. The 14% is a strong bulb, so if you were going to want to add more vertical climbing space, then you might want to consider switching to the 12%.

I use the 22" 14% in all of my 4x2x2s.

If she is gaping on the cool end of the enclosure, it's possible she is getting too hot. When you say digital gauges, are you talking about digital with probe ends? Or just the stick on guages without a probe end. I recommend wire and probe ends over IR guns 99% of the time just because IR guns rely on the emissivity of the surface you are wanting to measure to match up with it's calibration.

With your probe end resting on the cool end, what does the temp read during the day with the lights on?

Besides that, she looks healthy and has a nice setup.

-Brandon

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1ejt3r9e said:
Hi there,

Your setup is fine. No need to change to the 12%. The 14% works fine in your tank, especially since you don't have much climbing height. The 14% is a strong bulb, so if you were going to want to add more vertical climbing space, then you might want to consider switching to the 12%.

If she is gaping on the cool end of the enclosure, it's possible she is getting too hot. When you say digital gauges, are you talking about digital with probe ends? Or just the stick on guages without a probe end. I recommend wire and probe ends over IR guns 99% of the time just because IR guns rely on the emissivity of the surface you are wanting to measure to match up with it's calibration.

With your probe end resting on the cool end, what does the temp read during the day with the lights on?

-Brandon

Thank you so much for responding! I currently have a gauge without a probe on both the warm and cool side and one with a probe centrally placed in the tank. I’ll move the central probe to the cool side today to check the temps and post on here this afternoon when I get home from work. She does gape on the cool side from time to time but not consistently.

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Claudiusx":u8k0tvjh said:
Hi there,

-Brandon

The temp on her cool side is currently running around 85 degrees.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok that's fine then. I usually like cool side temps a bit cooler than that, but it shouldn't be an issue.

-Brandon

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1acfrpyk said:
Ok that's fine then. I usually like cool side temps a bit cooler than that, but it shouldn't be an issue.

-Brandon

You mentioned that you use a 22” 14% in you enclosure. Mine is currently a 36” in the 4x2x2. Do you think there is a need to downsize my fixture?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use the 22" to more easily allow me to create a UV gradient down to 0 (none) on the cool end. If you have hides and areas on the cool end where the dragon can escape the UV rays you are fine.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom