Enclosure hiding issues

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
Posting to see if my setup might be an issue. Wondering if anyone has any comments why my 9 month male beardie Rowan will bask for about an 1 to 2 hours after he wakes up , then will go down to the floor, he will go down to the floor level and sit observing for 10-20 mins, sometimes poop, then go back to basking.....about 2 weeks ago he started going into the hide after going down to the floor level each morning having basked for the few hours...will come down to the cool level, sit for 10-15 mins, then goes into the hide. He will stay there all day if I leave him. I have taken him out to feed, I've been syringe feeding omnivore 2 to 3 times a week, only about 3 to 4ml, he eats a few veg here and there, most often when I put him back into his enclosure I put him by the veg, he will eat 1 to 3 arugula leafs and that's about it, that might happen a few times in the day....and won't eat any insects, lost interest in insects about 8+ weeks ago, I continue to offer dubias, hornworms, bsfl, butterworms, he will eat one or two butterworms from my hand but its not often. Have been to my exotic vet multiple visits, blood work, vet is not sure what the matter might be , he has tested negative for parasites. He's also ADV+, I'm giving daily supplements of liquid calcium, serapaste, liquid milk thistle, and some liquid probiotic and liquid vitaminz on the weekend. He started the hiding about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I will take him out to the park for about 50 mins sunshine during the day, when we come back he will bask for the rest of the day into the evening. If I leave him in the hide he will stay there all day, if I take him out and put him back in sometimes he will stay basking, sometimes he will go into the hide again. Following an URI about 10 weeks ago is when he stopped being his usual self, he's no longer active like he used, doesn't glass surf to come out, but when I take him out he is comfortable, doesn't look to explore like he used to either. He enjoys going to the park, will sit and observe everything and enjoy the sunshine. Not really sure if I'll get him back to how he was, could be the ADV. Would like to try and figure out the hiding issue if in case its enclosure related.

Some info on the enclosure -
  1. Zen habitat 4’x2’x2’
  2. UVB Arcadia D3 12% T5 22" tube, (purchased April 2022), inside / underneath, and using solarmeter 6.5R to read , on the basking level where the slate is I'm getting a UV INDEX reading range of 2 to 7 at the strongest.
  3. For the basking area, I have slate on top of 2 Thrive Desert Reptile Corner Hides, basking area hated with a halogen lamp on a dimmer, with temp at the hottest around 105 and ranges out to about 96. On the cool side using a bearded dragon ceramic heat emitter connected to a BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller to keep the temp around 80.
  4. Night temp I try to keep around 75
  5. Socks contain rice for humidity, its bene very humid here the past few days, not usually so high.
Here are some images

Attachments

• 20220622_image08.JPG
    20220622_image08.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220622_image07.JPG
    20220622_image07.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220622_image06.JPG
    20220622_image06.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220622_image05.JPG
    20220622_image05.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220622_image04.JPG
    20220622_image04.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220622_image03.JPG
    20220622_image03.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220622_image02.JPG
    20220622_image02.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220622_image01.JPG
    20220622_image01.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220622_image09.JPG
    20220622_image09.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220622_image10.JPG
    20220622_image10.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Posting to see if my setup might be an issue. Wondering if anyone has any comments why my 9 month male beardie Rowan will bask for about an 1 to 2 hours after he wakes up , then will go down to the floor, he will go down to the floor level and sit observing for 10-20 mins, sometimes poop, then go back to basking.....about 2 weeks ago he started going into the hide after going down to the floor level each morning having basked for the few hours...will come down to the cool level, sit for 10-15 mins, then goes into the hide. He will stay there all day if I leave him. I have taken him out to feed, I've been syringe feeding omnivore 2 to 3 times a week, only about 3 to 4ml, he eats a few veg here and there, most often when I put him back into his enclosure I put him by the veg, he will eat 1 to 3 arugula leafs and that's about it, that might happen a few times in the day....and won't eat any insects, lost interest in insects about 8+ weeks ago, I continue to offer dubias, hornworms, bsfl, butterworms, he will eat one or two butterworms from my hand but its not often. Have been to my exotic vet multiple visits, blood work, vet is not sure what the matter might be , he has tested negative for parasites. He's also ADV+, I'm giving daily supplements of liquid calcium, serapaste, liquid milk thistle, and some liquid probiotic and liquid vitaminz on the weekend. He started the hiding about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I will take him out to the park for about 50 mins sunshine during the day, when we come back he will bask for the rest of the day into the evening. If I leave him in the hide he will stay there all day, if I take him out and put him back in sometimes he will stay basking, sometimes he will go into the hide again. Following an URI about 10 weeks ago is when he stopped being his usual self, he's no longer active like he used, doesn't glass surf to come out, but when I take him out he is comfortable, doesn't look to explore like he used to either. He enjoys going to the park, will sit and observe everything and enjoy the sunshine. Not really sure if I'll get him back to how he was, could be the ADV. Would like to try and figure out the hiding issue if in case its enclosure related.

Some info on the enclosure -
  1. Zen habitat 4’x2’x2’
  2. UVB Arcadia D3 12% T5 22" tube, (purchased April 2022), inside / underneath, and using solarmeter 6.5R to read , on the basking level where the slate is I'm getting a UV INDEX reading range of 2 to 7 at the strongest.
  3. For the basking area, I have slate on top of 2 Thrive Desert Reptile Corner Hides, basking area hated with a halogen lamp on a dimmer, with temp at the hottest around 105 and ranges out to about 96. On the cool side using a bearded dragon ceramic heat emitter connected to a BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller to keep the temp around 80.
  4. Night temp I try to keep around 75
  5. Socks contain rice for humidity, its bene very humid here the past few days, not usually so high.
Here are some images
The bulb your using shown is a coil? If it is please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- examples are Exo Terra Zoo Med Reptibasking or Flukers --- the surface basking temp is taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or a IR gun?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi @KarrieRee This is the pangeareptile Halogen Heat Lamp bulb (on dimmer) that I'm using, this is not coil, right? The basking temp is taken using this Helect Infrared Digital Laser Temperature Gun that I hold about 2 to 3 inches from the slate to measure.
View attachment 71302
That is not a coil --- your good --- you might want to get a probe and set it on that slate your using- sometimes the IR guns are off because of certain materials they use -- slate seems to get real hot

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have used various stone, slate sandstone, limestone ect. They ALL get hot under a heat light and they ALL get cold at night. Im not saying don't use them just be aware and careful

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
That is not a coil --- your good --- you might want to get a probe and set it on that slate your using- sometimes the IR guns are off because of certain materials they use -- slate seems to get real hot
Thank you

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I have used various stone, slate sandstone, limestone ect. They ALL get hot under a heat light and they ALL get cold at night. Im not saying don't use them just be aware and careful
Thank you for this feedback, I've had this setup since end of January, initially at 109, did find it was too hot for him with the slate at that temp, got it down to 105 and he seemed comfortable with that for the past 4+ months, only a few weeks ago did he start looking to hide, have found these past few weeks he will stay on the slate at 105 in the afternoon into the evening basking, I have tried this week down to 100 on the slate but he still seems to be looking to hide in the mornings.

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I moved the cool side probe over to the basking slate area, and after about 20 mins got these results
tempEnc01.JPG

tempEnc02.JPG

tempEnc03.JPG

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I moved the cool side probe over to the basking slate area, and after about 20 mins got these results
View attachment 71373
View attachment 71374
View attachment 71375
So I see the IR gun is off and the probe is accurate -- and the slate is not too hot which is good --
Heat Mat Thermostat Controller to keep the temp around 80. is this night time or cool side day? Looks like daytime-- everything sounds good and right on - sounds like your dragon is just being lazy and wanting to chill--- keep an eye on him if hes doing the basking eating and pooping and not losing weight he is fine -- any out of the ordinary behavior then post back here --

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
When he went to sleep last night I put him in the bedroom and then did a full disinfecting of the enclosure (sanikeen, rinsed and steamed cleaned everything, wood items scrubbed in ammonia 10:1, rinsed, and into oven for 2 hours 200F). Hate to have to move what he's been used to but this is the first time I've re-arranged the setup last night, primarily to bring the basking down to ground level, ended up having to drop the UVB T5 using steel type cable, with solarmeter 6.5R at current height I'm getting solarmeter 3 to 6 measurement in and around the basking side area (right).

For the basking side heat I got a 2nd BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller probe and with a Sylvania 120Watt Halogen Flood bulb inside of a Fluker's 8.5" Repta-Clamp Dome Lamp on top of the screen but I'm finding it difficult to get the basking side probe temp to read above 100 with that bulb.

Some photos of this re-arrangement from this morning.

Attachments

• reAranged03.JPG
    reAranged03.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 69
  • reAranged05.JPG
    reAranged05.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 65
  • reAranged04.JPG
    reAranged04.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 72
  • reAranged02.JPG
    reAranged02.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When he went to sleep last night I put him in the bedroom and then did a full disinfecting of the enclosure (sanikeen, rinsed and steamed cleaned everything, wood items scrubbed in ammonia 10:1, rinsed, and into oven for 2 hours 200F). Hate to have to move what he's been used to but this is the first time I've re-arranged the setup last night, primarily to bring the basking down to ground level, ended up having to drop the UVB T5 using steel type cable, with solarmeter 6.5R at current height I'm getting solarmeter 3 to 6 measurement in and around the basking side area (right).

For the basking side heat I got a 2nd BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller probe and with a Sylvania 120Watt Halogen Flood bulb inside of a Fluker's 8.5" Repta-Clamp Dome Lamp on top of the screen but I'm finding it difficult to get the basking side probe temp to read above 100 with that bulb.

Some photos of this re-arrangement from this morning.
Increase the wattage see what it does

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
okay, thank you. My guy is juvenile 9 months old, I thought it was around 105 I needed to get

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom