Enclosure help!

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello, my first baby beardies was delivered today and I know I have some adjusting to do with his enclosure so I’d like some help and feedback before I go shopping this evening to upgrade some things. I have a 120 gallon enclosure, what wattage should I be using for basking light? Does the UVB bar need to go from one end to the other on the top of the screen and is a 10.0 bulb sufficient enough? I understand that beardies don’t drink from bowls and I should be sprinkling water on his nose or misting his leafy greens and bathing him twice a week for hydration, is this correct? Is a ceramic heat emitter ok for nighttime? How many bugs should he be getting at each feeding and should they be dusted with calcium one time per day? What about calcium with D3 and her herptivites?

Lots of questions, I know. I just want to get this all right for him and provide him the best home that I can. 💕 YouTube videos can be a bit conflicting and I thought I’d reach out here. 😊

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Hello, my first baby beardies was delivered today and I know I have some adjusting to do with his enclosure so I’d like some help and feedback before I go shopping this evening to upgrade some things. I have a 120 gallon enclosure, what wattage should I be using for basking light? Does the UVB bar need to go from one end to the other on the top of the screen and is a 10.0 bulb sufficient enough? I understand that beardies don’t drink from bowls and I should be sprinkling water on his nose or misting his leafy greens and bathing him twice a week for hydration, is this correct? Is a ceramic heat emitter ok for nighttime? How many bugs should he be getting at each feeding and should they be dusted with calcium one time per day? What about calcium with D3 and her herptivites?

Lots of questions, I know. I just want to get this all right for him and provide him the best home that I can. 💕 YouTube videos can be a bit conflicting and I thought I’d reach out here. 😊
for my 120 gallon 4x2x2 pvc enclosure from dubia.com i use a 150 watt basking bulb. i also use a second lamp thats 100 watts in the middle for extra heat. i believe the uvb needs to cover2/3 to 3/4 of the top. most people recommend a t5 10.0 uvb. i use the 36 inch t8 from reptizoo but will be upgrading. from what i know its good to provide a water bowl even if they dont drink from it just make sure its shallow enough for them to not drown. i personally feed my baby as many bugs he can eat in 10 minutes 4 times daily and calcium dust once daily. i personlly had to use a piece of cardboard and split my tank in half because all the space was stressing out my baby.

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
for my 120 gallon 4x2x2 pvc enclosure from dubia.com i use a 150 watt basking bulb. i also use a second lamp thats 100 watts in the middle for extra heat. i believe the uvb needs to cover2/3 to 3/4 of the top. most people recommend a t5 10.0 uvb. i use the 36 inch t8 from reptizoo but will be upgrading. from what i know its good to provide a water bowl even if they dont drink from it just make sure its shallow enough for them to not drown. i personally feed my baby as many bugs he can eat in 10 minutes 4 times daily and calcium dust once daily. i personlly had to use a piece of cardboard and split my tank in half because all the space was stressing out my baby.
Do you dust with D3 and herptivite a couple times a month, or more?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Use the multivitamins 2 to 3 times per week. Use calcium daily 1 feeding per day. Feed babies as much as they want 2 to 3 times per day (for 10 to 15 minutes) baths only hydrate IF THEY DRINK. They do not hydrate through their skin, that is a horrible piece of misinformation. Shallow water bowl is ok if they drink, most likely will become the toilet (beardies lol!!!). 24 inch uvb is sufficient. On top of screen 8 to 10 inches, under the screen 12 to 15 inches. I recommend the Arcadia pro t5 desert 12%. I have had a butt load of trouble out of the ZooMed. No colored light for any reason they damage their eyes. Ceramic heat emitter for night time heat.
Offer salads every day. (No to very little spinach it binds calcium and can cause a deficiency).
Oh and congratzzzz on your new baby, and welcome to the forum. Ask about anything you need to know, their is a ton of helpful and knowledgeable people here. Better to ask than to guess 🙂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh as for basking, babies want 105 to 110 degrees, please use digital probe thermometers to get temps. The dials are incredibly inaccurate, the infra-red temp guns can be inaccurate on some surfaces.
As for wattage its trial and error, you'll just have to try different bulbs till you get the temp right. As they get older the temps lower, adults want 95 to 100 degrees

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Use the multivitamins 2 to 3 times per week. Use calcium daily 1 feeding per day. Feed babies as much as they want 2 to 3 times per day (for 10 to 15 minutes) baths only hydrate IF THEY DRINK. They do not hydrate through their skin, that is a horrible piece of misinformation. Shallow water bowl is ok if they drink, most likely will become the toilet (beardies lol!!!). 24 inch uvb is sufficient. On top of screen 8 to 10 inches, under the screen 12 to 15 inches. I recommend the Arcadia pro t5 desert 12%. I have had a butt load of trouble out of the ZooMed. No colored light for any reason they damage their eyes. Ceramic heat emitter for night time heat.
Offer salads every day. (No to very little spinach it binds calcium and can cause a deficiency).
Oh and congratzzzz on your new baby, and welcome to the forum. Ask about anything you need to know, their is a ton of helpful and knowledgeable people here. Better to ask than to guess 🙂
Thank you so much for the helpful information! Just a couple more questions to confirm I’m understanding correctly. Even if they do drink water, they still need baths twice a week, right? For the UVB light, is it 8-10 inches from their basking area of on top of the screen?

Love my little Mushu dragon!!

Attachments

• 8AA5ED72-1204-4853-B852-4FD8F7205E28.jpeg
    8AA5ED72-1204-4853-B852-4FD8F7205E28.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for the helpful information! Just a couple more questions to confirm I’m understanding correctly. Even if they do drink water, they still need baths twice a week, right? For the UVB light, is it 8-10 inches from their basking area of on top of the screen?

Love my little Mushu dragon!!
120 gallon tank you need the UVB in the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- please baths only need to be given when they have pooped themselves or are drinking from the bath - I would suggest dropping water on his nose for now so he does not get so stressed out -- let him lick till he stops - please rinse the greens as suggested above -- he will get moisture from those -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They don't "need" bathes unless they are dirty/tracked through poo. The way i give mine water is with an eyedropper. Just drip it on their snout and they should start to lap it up. If they don't you can use a none citrus fruit juice to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet paper towel or wet wash cloth to wipe away any that runs down their chin.no need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in their scales. Also go slow and never force it, they can aspirate very quickly. And yes on the uvb. If its on top ofvthe screen they should be able to get within 8 to 10 inches ofvthe uvb. That's assuming your using a t5 bulb, t8 are not as strong and they need to be a little closer.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
120 gallon tank you need the UVB in the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- please baths only need to be given when they have pooped themselves or are drinking from the bath - I would suggest dropping water on his nose for now so he does not get so stressed out -- let him lick till he stops - please rinse the greens as suggested above -- he will get moisture from those -
I swear you have a scott radar, you you always post what I'm typing like 10 seconds ahead of me lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
unless they're drinking from the bath water, they really don't need baths at all unless they dance in their poop or are super shed itchy. the whole absorb water through the skin or vent is a myth.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom