eggs suddenly gone? binding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moby666

Hello I'm a little freaked out right now, my bearded dragon was ready to lay fertile eggs and was bouncing around her tank. I introduced her to the lay box many times but she just seemed to want to run around more. Yesterday she didnt eat a whole lot so i assumed she was finally gonna start digging but today there was no digging and I dont even think she touched her salad. when I feel her belly there are no lumps. she normally does stop eating in the few days leading up to her laying but thats accompanied by glass surfing and increased activity. these past couple days shes just been basking and strolling around her enclosure like a normal day. (except in the mornings when she has to poop, then she will run around some lol)

she is still alert and acting fine otherwise but i am super worried because i know egg binding is a big problem. ive also heard that when the eggs are inferile its harder to feel them but i definitley could lightly feel them before. any advice is appreciated greatly. should i take her to the vet? money is a little tight but if necessary i can and will. i love her alot.

i apologize if placing this in the ER section is a bit of an exaggeration.

**EDIT**
Completely forgot to mention that there was a gap of 2-3 months between now and when she last layed. There is usually only a one month gap between her egg batches.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does sound a bit odd. So she is not digging anymore?
Sometimes they can reabsorb their eggs which is somewhat common. Is she still alert &
active, for the most part?
You can post some pictures of her so we can see what her condition looks like. Is her appetite
good?
Give it a bit of time but do keep an eye on her in case she does start to have some trouble. You
are right to be concerned though since egg binding can be a big problem. Hopefully she has
just reabsorbed them.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

moby666

Original Poster
Drache613":2otux801 said:
Hello,

That does sound a bit odd. So she is not digging anymore?
Sometimes they can reabsorb their eggs which is somewhat common. Is she still alert &
active, for the most part?
You can post some pictures of her so we can see what her condition looks like. Is her appetite
good?
Give it a bit of time but do keep an eye on her in case she does start to have some trouble. You
are right to be concerned though since egg binding can be a big problem. Hopefully she has
just reabsorbed them.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,
I wasnt aware they could reabsorb their eggs! She wasnt digging this time around to begin with. She will usually dig a little at the paper towel in her enclosure but this time around not so much. She would just pace around and scratch at the sides of the tank. When I put her in the laybox she would either run around in it or try to jump out.

This morning she is fine and ate some collards, I offered her fave (blueberries) and she seemed like she would eat the entire container if i let her. Now shes doing her morning basking like any other day. Her energy and mood seems completely normal.

Shes definitely on the skinnier side now. Her skin is wrinkly and I can sorta feel her hip bone I think. Thankfully my new shipment of bugs finally came in ? Her stomach doesnt look empty though. Its feels like its full of liquid. Which i guess could be shes in the process of reabsorbtion?

Is egg reabsorbtion harmful in anyway to them? I think regardless I will take her to the vet. Shes never been to one so I think itd be nice to just have her checked out with a professional.

I apologize if this is TMI, I tend to overworry with her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, maybe you just felt a natural lumpiness and thought it was eggs. They can not reabsorb shelled eggs though, if she was ready to lay they would still be there. They only absorb unshelled egg follicles. She either still has some to lay, reabsorbed very small follicles or had no eggs at all and you felt other contents of her abdomen. If she starts looking ill/lethargic you might want to get her to reptile vet ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry, I forgot to mention about the egg reabsorption. If eggs were shelled definitely she
can't reabsorb them, only if they are unshelled follicles.
As AHBD said, perhaps there are follicles & they are small or still developing or there was
something else in her tummy.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

moby666

Original Poster
Drache613":5ceqpp3f said:
Hello,

So sorry, I forgot to mention about the egg reabsorption. If eggs were shelled definitely she
can't reabsorb them, only if they are unshelled follicles.
As AHBD said, perhaps there are follicles & they are small or still developing or there was
something else in her tummy.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

So sorry for such a late response, she has been acting very normally. It's like nothing even happened and its stressing me out! I think I can vaguely feel ONE egg on her left but im not sure. She's eating a bunch and basking, all good. The ONLY thing that is now different that I can think of is she now poops once every two days instead of everyday.

If I was able to feel multiple bumps that means they were shelled right? I can no longer feel those. She cannot reabsorb them?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sure she's fine ! She never had shelled eggs then, unless she laid them in a secret place that you didn't check or outside of the enclosure. :) Sounds like nothing to worry about, pooing every day is actually more than most mature beardies do, my older guys do so maybe once a week.

moby666

Original Poster
AHBD":ex9qt96x said:
I'm sure she's fine ! She never had shelled eggs then, unless she laid them in a secret place that you didn't check or outside of the enclosure. :) Sounds like nothing to worry about, pooing every day is actually more than most mature beardies do, my older guys do so maybe once a week.

That is very reassuring to hear, thank you. I think if she had layed them in secret I would have noticed, her belly size hasnt changed so I dont think anything has been expelled. I will still keep a close eye on her for the next week just because I get paranoid but your replies will help me sleep easier tonight haha. (and wow i dont want to THINK about the mess of a once a week poop lol, you brave soul!)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
That is strange, but she may not have had shelled eggs then if you really don't feel anything
now. I think it sounds like she should be just fine, but just keep an eye on her.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

moby666

Original Poster
Drache613":iatdhguh said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
That is strange, but she may not have had shelled eggs then if you really don't feel anything
now. I think it sounds like she should be just fine, but just keep an eye on her.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Hi Tracie, she's doing fine today. Her belly is still big and no lumps. I definitley felt the eggs before, they had definite shape. Whether or not that meant they were shelled i have no idea. She's her usual self today and has been pretty hungry, eating alot. Im just wondering when her "egg weight" will leave her.
I will keep posted! :blob8:

moby666

Original Poster
Hm today I dont think I saw her bask at all. She ate like a truck but didnt seem too interested in her basking spot. She chilled around the warm side just never climbed up to her rock. Perhaps she does still have a few eggs and this is her preparing to lay those? She usually doesnt bask much around when she is preparing to lay. Or maybe tomorrow she'll go back to basking and today was a fluke. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Her belly is still pretty large too, so maybe her rock is uncomftorable for her. Throwing anything at the wall here, not sure. She was in a good mood all day so Im not super worried.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is doing pretty well, maybe just resting & being a little lazy. So she is
eating a little bit now, that is a great sign.
Assuming she has reabsorbed eggs it may take a couple of months for her system to fully
reabsorb the excess fat from the yolk. If she is harboring eggs, getting ready to lay then it
sounds like she is not in distress right now.
Keep her comfortable & let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom