Egg laying?

AmandaFaye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Babycita
I kinda "inherited" Babycita from my daughter and I don't know the first thing about Bearded Dragons. We've been getting along for about a year and a half now, she and I are definitely bonded. That being said.... I didn't even know until recently she maybe should be laying eggs? She never has to date that I'm aware of. Babycita is about 2 1/2 years old, 24" tip to tip, and I believe in general good health. I just don't want anything to happen to her I could have prevented if I'd had the knowledge. My question is, is she supposed to be laying eggs? If so, any ideas why she hasn't?

Attachments

• IMG_20220215_164923134.jpg
    IMG_20220215_164923134.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220215_165923729.jpg
    IMG_20220215_165923729.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 60

Sandy's World

Beardie name(s)
Sandy
I kinda "inherited" Babycita from my daughter and I don't know the first thing about Bearded Dragons. We've been getting along for about a year and a half now, she and I are definitely bonded. That being said.... I didn't even know until recently she maybe should be laying eggs? She never has to date that I'm aware of. Babycita is about 2 1/2 years old, 24" tip to tip, and I believe in general good health. I just don't want anything to happen to her I could have prevented if I'd had the knowledge. My question is, is she supposed to be laying eggs? If so, any ideas why she hasn't?
Some beardies never lay, and some lay more than others. Yes, 2yrs old is the general age that they start to become gravid (female bearded dragons lay eggs without mating) but each beardie is different and she could be just a little late. Watch out for symptoms of being gravid, such as glass surfing, digging around her tank, and an enlarged belly with visual lumps. I doubt you have her gender wrong, but to confirm it you can hold her tail up and shine a flashlight through at the base of her tail. A male will have two lumps/bulges on the sides of the base, while a female only has one lump/bulge in the center.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is correct, some females never lay eggs while others do. Genetics play a huge role in this but
also husbandry, too. She appears to be of good weight, & size. If you would like, we can review your
tank setup also, to be sure everything is correct. Does she have ample calcium intake on a regular
basis?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom