Egg help!!!!

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my Amber laid a egg last week I had idea what it was I thought it was dried poop. Then today I found another one they are soft and mushy but it explains why I have noticed "dried spots" in her enclosure with no poop around.

Should I be worried does she need a vet??? She is active (but submissive) and she is eating both bugs and greens I am completely out of my depth here. I have 2 females so no way they are fertile should I change anything? Heat temps day time night time? I have a vet appointment (technician appointment really) Saturday for both beardies to get their nails trimmed. Should I see if I can also make a vet appointment for her (Amber) maybe see how many more eggs she has? She doesn't seem gravid or heavy

Attachments

• IMG_20230508_185408.jpg
    IMG_20230508_185408.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230508_185406.jpg
    IMG_20230508_185406.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 36

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
They usually lay quite a few, if you've only seen a couple she probably has more. I'm no expert but one of my previous dragons was female and laid eggs a few times. I've heard and read that providing a quiet dig space can help? Like a shaded sandbox area possibly in a separate tank. Best of luck, but definitely ask the vet if there aren't more eggs shortly.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i have no experience with eggs as the only beardie i have had is a male. i believe @AHBD would be a good resource, or @Drache613, who is a vet tech

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can make a laybox for her like Jurovaty said , they often lay eggs more freely if they find what they instinctively consider a safe place. If you already have a vet appt. you can ask for xrays to see if there are more shelled eggs. You can't always feel them so don't go by that. Hopefully everything will turn out O.K !

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can make a laybox for her like Jurovaty said , they often lay eggs more freely if they find what they instinctively consider a safe place. If you already have a vet appt. you can ask for xrays to see if there are more shelled eggs. You can't always feel them so don't go by that. Hopefully everything will turn out O.K !
I have ended up making a laybox that has reptile soil and natural sand from their native habitat. Though she seems to not really care for it I was wondering if I should put it in her enclosure. Thing with that though is that I would need to take her basking platforms out in order to put the box in her enclosure.

She seems to like to scratch a ton under her basking platform though there is no sand it's a mat made specifically for the enclosure. The container is dry since I have had it setup for quite awhile with no luck till now so I wonder if I should wet it or not. She seems to hate the box though she wants out all the time and cruising my bed and her enclosure.

My vet appointment is on Saturday should I move it up or should she be ok till Saturday?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This is the box I have it's just a big big boy @AHBD

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_142342.jpg
    IMG_20230509_142342.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 44

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a nice box and she can bask on top of it. Keep the soil moist. I think it's fine to wait until Saturday since she's not lethargic or seemingly in distress.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's a nice box and she can bask on top of it. Keep the soil moist. I think it's fine to wait until Saturday since she's not lethargic or seemingly in distress.
I placed her inside it and in her enclosure then I left and 20 mins later I came home to her out of the box and glass surfing.

I always thought 120G enclosure was a big enclosure till I put the box in there all I know is that she was covered in reptile soil so I gave her a bath to clean her up a bit. I am looking at possibly getting a 30G tote and maybe filling it and then placing her in it outside of her enclosure the only thing is she won't have heat outside her enclosure.

She seems restless tbh and she won't eat at all anymore

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That all sounds normal, keep putting her back in the box at least 1-2 X a day. It sounds like she might be ready to lay now. You can even put her in early afternoon and put something heavy over the opening so she can't get out. Just check on her late in the day.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That all sounds normal, keep putting her back in the box at least 1-2 X a day. It sounds like she might be ready to lay now. You can even put her in early afternoon and put something heavy over the opening so she can't get out. Just check on her late in the day.
She is currently basking under her lights is there a specific brand of soil sand or substrate best used for a laybox? I have had trouble finding proper substrate since I use a zen habitat mat made for my Zen Habitat enclosure. I heard playsand then top soil and then coconut fiber so many different opinions and it's not as simple as getting sand at Home Depot and it being ready immediately.

I'm hoping she has her clutch and I can move on and DEFINITELY be prepared for anything else happening in the future. She went through her digging phase and made the digbox obsolete so I didn't pay much mind to any of it then she had eggs a year or 2 later lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If the sand is dry moisten it till it will clump if squeezed. You don't want it wet though. My female Ruby wouldn't lay in the sand until she could dig a small tunnel.
Be careful with top soil also, you mentioned repisoil that is good. Every single top or garden soil i could find here had either cow or chicken manure in it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is currently basking under her lights is there a specific brand of soil sand or substrate best used for a laybox? I have had trouble finding proper substrate since I use a zen habitat mat made for my Zen Habitat enclosure. I heard playsand then top soil and then coconut fiber so many different opinions and it's not as simple as getting sand at Home Depot and it being ready immediately.

I'm hoping she has her clutch and I can move on and DEFINITELY be prepared for anything else happening in the future. She went through her digging phase and made the digbox obsolete so I didn't pay much mind to any of it then she had eggs a year or 2 later lol
What you have in it now is fine, just keep it moist and pretty deep.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If the sand is dry moisten it till it will clump if squeezed. You don't want it wet though. My female Ruby wouldn't lay in the sand until she could dig a small tunnel.
Be careful with top soil also, you mentioned repisoil that is good. Every single top or garden soil i could find here had either cow or chicken manure in it.
The reptisoil is moist but not that moist I ended up putting her in it and left for 20 mins and she was covered head to tail in dark soil.

She seems content after her bath and I chose the reptisoil due to everything being contaminated and/or having fertilizer in it. I'm gonna have a hard time keeping her warm outside of her enclosure in a digbox that's my worry

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What you have in it now is fine, just keep it moist and pretty deep.
Oddest question but she seems to open her vent at times like she is trying to poop but not actually pooping and it'll close then happen later on is this due to her eggs?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K if she gets dirty, they are reptiles and are made to get dirty sometimes. :) Your soil might be a bit too wet though. You can always add more sand, children's play sand added or else straight sand is also an option.

Opening her vent might be from wanting to lay eggs.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom