Egg Bound???

StarLi

Beardie name(s)
Mika
My bearded dragin, Mika, is only about 8 months old.

Starting on June 25, Mika mostly stopped eating and became hyper. She was otherwise healthy and not losing weight and she was shedding, so I thought that might be the cause. After she shed, her behavior continued and I took her to the vet on July 7. X-rays showed she had a lot of eggs in her stomach. The vet agreed that it was unusually early and that they'll either be reabsorbed, layed, or Mika could become egg-bound, especially since she was young.

I prepared a dig box, but Mika showed no interest in digging, only in exploring and climbing around the room. She still didn't really eat and I gave her liquid vitamins with water using a syringe and had her lick calcium powder as much a I could.

On 7/17 and 7/18, she finally had an appetite! I was so glad. She was also her usually perky self.

BUT today (7/19) she seemed to have a hard time pooping and was pushing a lot. The poop was healthy looking, though it came out in small batches.

It could just be because she ate for the first time in weeks and she got a stomach ache... or some that pushing was attempted egg laying.

We're going to be gone on 7/21-22, so I'm worried. I might take her to the vet tomorrow (7/20) if she doesn't return to normal... Especially since it's been nearly a month since the behaviors began.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow that is young for eggs. I'm going to tag Drache613 she is a vet tech.
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Although it's not unheard of it's not at all common for an 8 month old dragon to develop eggs . Is Mika near adult size, large for her age and has she been with a male ? Can you post pics of the Xrays ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It isn't out of the ordinary that an 8 month old female develops infertile eggs. Or, are they fertile
eggs?
Pictures would be helpful, too, thanks.
Definitely be vigilant with her calcium intake 4-5 times weekly right now until the egg issues are
passed. Is she eating very much right now?
Hopefully she will either reabsorb them or develop them & lay them without any trouble!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom