Effects of Arcadia bulbs! (AMAZING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
So about a week back I purchased the new Arcadia D3 UV Basking Bulb (about $60 including shipping) after I decided fixing my broken T8 hood and getting a new Reptisun 10.0 was too much of a hassle. Reptisuns are good lamps but I can't stand the buzzing and blue light...

Anyways, after finally getting it all set up (you will need a step up transformer if you want to run these lamps in American sockets, they run about $20) I was shocked to see Damien's colors start popping right away. And I mean, literally the day of. Occasionally I've seen her brighten up when I take her outside for sun but as soon as we go back inside, she's back to her normal tan-ish grey. Here I've attached some photos to show how much her colors have changed since getting the Arcadia bulb.

Her usual colors
10593224_10153319974009572_1268870948426669365_n.jpg

Today
10644851_10153448680699572_6020083864847637933_n.jpg

10670092_10153448680794572_3844760950254535151_n.jpg

I put her in the window moments after taking the pics above and left her there for about 2 minutes and she went straight to black when someone walked by outside and spooked her.
10639628_10153448687479572_43390987290657847_n.jpg

And this is less than a minute after I removed her from the windowsill and had her on my lap. I've never seen her change colors so quickly!
10400807_10153448713674572_1461079606625387937_n.jpg

She's perked up a bit as well, and she's starting to have more frequent bowl movements. Even with the 10.0 Reptisun, she only pooped maybe once a week with correct temps, superworms/dubias and collard greens as well as plenty of baths. I don't know what the Arcadia has that the Reptisun lacked but it's certainly improving other aspects of her life besides coloring and that's an A++ for me. :)

I highly recommend buying the bulb from Todd on lightyourreptiles.com. If you have any questions you can shoot him an email and he always responds promptly with tons of advice and info. He's really a great guy! He also sells a bundle that includes a step up transformer, a hood, and the bulb so you don't have to go around picking them up individually like I did. If anyone else is using the Arcadia bulb, let me know how your lizards are doing with them. Pictures are also welcome!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with you about the Arcadia bulbs. When I put my T5 in a few months ago it was an amazing difference. It's like daylight inside the tank. The old ReptiSun T8 looks downright dim by comparison. I noticed the popping colors under the bright light as well.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think so, if I correctly understand what mercury vapor bulbs are...It's the round white bulb that doubles as a basking light and a UV light. I think Damien is unaccustomed to the brightness of it and rarely sits under it but when she does, she's colorful and energetic for the rest of the day.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Damieboo":13matk9q said:
I think so, if I correctly understand what mercury vapor bulbs are...It's the round white bulb that doubles as a basking light and a UV light. I think Damien is unaccustomed to the brightness of it and rarely sits under it but when she does, she's colorful and energetic for the rest of the day.
She might be responding to the UVA. The type of bulb you have produces more natural levels of UVA which is within the range of reptiles vision. Tube bulbs and normal basking bulbs are pretty low in UVA output. So there is something the reptisun was missing ;)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, it is amazing how much brighter she is already, that's awesome. :p What wattage did you get?

Sounds like you did get a MVB since you needed the converter because the tubes would be able to be plugged right into a standard plug. I have purchased all from Todd, the tubes, fixtures, the MVB's with the kits & the transformers. Have been very happy with all of it and so are our beardies!

I also have to say that I also got a Solar Meter 6.5 from his website so I can keep an eye out the UVI readings and all the bulbs have surpassed the time frame that was originally proclaimed, so I've very happy to be able to state that! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got the 80 watt. She's in a 40 gallon tank so I probably could've gotten a higher wattage but 80 works fine for right now. It's so awesome that these bulbs work longer than the reptisuns. Takes a load off my mind not having to replace them every 6 months as I move around a lot and have lived in many places where pet stores don't sell the correct bulbs and then I have to order online and have gotten plenty of broken bulbs. Too much of a hassle. The arcadia bulbs should work for 2 years, right? Crazy life on these bulbs :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the 80 watts also. The ones we have are over 1 1/2 yrs old and still putting out a good amount of UV but it's always best to replace them after a yr unless you have a Solar Meter.

Venutus1

I am so glad people are getting these results!
And this is just in a short time after switching to Arcadia.

For those reading,
a quick FYI Education on the types of Arcadia bulbs folks use on Beardies.
So people will not be confused and to make lighting easy.

We all agree, lighting should be made easy! :mrgreen:

The Arcadia Mercury Vapor Bulb.
They are similar in principal to Mega Ray and Power Sun....
BUT
These babies are 220/240 volt.

"What is that?" you say? :shock: :?:
What does that really mean?

That simply means that they run on European voltage.
For anyone that has traveled to UK or Europe, (or stationed in the military overseas)
you know you can't plug our every day appliances etc, into the wall outlets over there because the "juice" / electricity comkes out twice as powerful out of the wall outlets.
They have electricity at 220/240 volts and it is higher / more power than our 110v wall outlet electrical service here in North America.

So to use a European light bulb or appliance over here --one needs a step up converter.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:
The converter must be rated at a wattage that is approx. 2 times HIGHER than the bulbs wattage.
EXAMPLE:
A 100w Arcadia Mercury Vapor bulb will need a step up converter rated at 200 watts.
This is because it is considered continuous duty.
Here is an example of a step up converter at a great price on Amazon that is rated at 200 watts.
This would be good for an 80w or 100w Arcadia Merc Vapor Bulb.
It is under 20.00

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-200-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TMB9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410966946&sr=8-1&keywords=goldsource+200

You would use a 300 watt converter for a 160w bulb.

These Arcadia bulbs will fit in a standard ceramic US socket just fine!
So this means they would fit in a regular 8" Zoo Med or 8" Exo Terra dome light fixture that you probably already have.
NOTE: You should be using a ceramic / porcelain socket with ANY Mercury Vapor Bulb.
http://lightyourreptiles.com/z00med10dedo.html

Now,
because some folks have not the time or knowledge to fool around with electricity and converters, LightYourReptiles.com sells a complete kit with a converter and the really cool Arcadia dome light fixture.
It is more expensive, but....
and this is important...
I Personally TEST EACH AND EVERY KIT.
Yep.
I set the whole kit up, bulb, dome light fixture and adjust the converter to the correct output and let it run here.
I test with Solarmeter to make sure it is working perfectly before packing and shipping.
http://lightyourreptiles.com/zoomedladedo.html

So you have 2 ways to go...
You can just get the bulb (approx. 50.00) and then set it up with your own dome light and get a step up converter yourself, or get the tested, plug and play kit. (approx 130.00 - 150.00)

Side Note:
Do you have allot of cages?
Are you a breeder who wants to convert to Arcadia Mercury Vapor?
Well--
Have I got NEWS...
You do not have to buy a separate step up converter for each bulb.
You can get just one big converter of 500 to 1000 watts to run lots of these bulbs.
The cost of a big converter is only 50.00 - 70.00 !
Email me and I will explain how to hook it up easy as pie. [email protected].
Here is an example of a 1000 w converter for 50.00.
It would run 6 +/- Arcadia 80w bulbs!
http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-Heavy-duty-Transformer-Converter-Universal/dp/B00H9Z3FVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410967071&sr=8-2&keywords=goldsource+1000
And because the bulbs cost less in many cases than either the Zoo Med or Mega Ray bulbs--
you will even end up SAVING money going to these Arcadia European Bulbs.
ohhh... and did I mention they LAST AND LAST?? :blob5: :lol:
They especially last much longer than many that cost the same or more! :wink:

The other bulb that is taking the US and Canada by storm is the Arcadia HO t5s'
These are the long skinny Flo. bulbs that are more powerful than any zm, exxo or Zillie conventional t8 bulb. :wink:

The new Arcadia HO t5's do need a special fixture.
But if you invest in a new HO t5 fixture,
it will pay for itself because the bulbs LAST A YEAR easily.
You don't have to replace ANY Arcadia bulb every 6 months.
Those days are gone with Arcadia.

Here is all about the Arcadia Ho t5 flo, bulb:
http://arcadia-reptile.com/fluorescent-lamps/t5-d3plus-desert/

See the light! :D :D :D

With the Arcadia bulbs, in many cases, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MESS AROUND MOUNTING THE FIXTURE IN A TANK !
Those days are gone.
The Arcadia 12% HO t5 bulbs are strong enough to get the UV through a screen top with UV to spare.
So if the animal is basking 10" - 12" inches away, the fixture can be simply set on top of the screen.
How easy is that?
I always advise folks to e-mail me pictures of their set up so I can see what they are working with to help them choose the right bulb and light fixture. Even a cell phone pic or two is fine so I can get the gist of what your set up is like. [email protected]

We also have the full size range of the standard T8 Arcadia bulbs that last a year, so they are the perfect upgrade to replace a bulb in your existing set up with a conventional t8 flo. light fixture.

When I started this business almost 4 years ago, my goal was to revolutionize the way reptiles are lit. :blob8:
You see,
I have been into all kinds of reptiles (and fish and birds and primates etc etc) since the late 70's and 80's.
As a matter of fact, I started using Mercury Vapor Bulbs in 1978 over tortoises.
In those days, there were no UV bulbs for reptiles! :eek: :shock:
Those of us who were pioneering the use of UV had to figure out how to use PEOPLE UV Tanning bulbs. I used those old GE Time-A-Tan bulbs on leopard tortoise.
They were so strong they had to be 4 FEET AWAY!

Bringing the out door lighting "inside" is the goal to give these animals the best full spectrum light so their health and color go through the roof!
And now with Arcadia, it is possible.

Thank you. I appreciate all my friends and customers on this great forum!
Most Sincerely,
Todd
Owner, LightYourReptiles.com

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
to the guy from LYR.com-

I'm thinking of re-doing my Agni's lighting because his appetite is vanishing quickly, and when he does eat, he'll only eat form my hand, not chase anything down.

he's in a glass 36x18x18 tank with front opening doors, and a fine mesh screen top.

do you have a kit or something with appropriate UVB, heat and UVA bulbs?

his highest (and primary) basking spot is about 14 inches from where his current uvb is located, and im having a very hard time finding decent bulbs for visual (uva) lighting, and I've got 3 separate domes with a 40w halogen, a 50w zoomed basking spotlight, and a 752 basking spotlight from zoomed. the basking lights make the cage look too yellow orangish, and his current uvb fixture just looks ugly as hell

Venutus1

Please e-mail me a picture of the set up to
[email protected]
I need to see exactly what we are working with. :D
Then we can go from there as to what would be best.
Thanks!

SkyfangRauss":3knhiou5 said:
to the guy from LYR.com-

I'm thinking of re-doing my Agni's lighting because his appetite is vanishing quickly, and when he does eat, he'll only eat form my hand, not chase anything down.

he's in a glass 36x18x18 tank with front opening doors, and a fine mesh screen top.

do you have a kit or something with appropriate UVB, heat and UVA bulbs?

his highest (and primary) basking spot is about 14 inches from where his current uvb is located, and im having a very hard time finding decent bulbs for visual (uva) lighting, and I've got 3 separate domes with a 40w halogen, a 50w zoomed basking spotlight, and a 752 basking spotlight from zoomed. the basking lights make the cage look too yellow orangish, and his current uvb fixture just looks ugly as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom