Eating Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy

My Beardie is now 21 weeks, he eats very well with crickets, hoppers worms etc but not green/veg :( .......................should I worry about this or will he eat more greens when he gets older? plus the drinking is also a bit worrying because he only really drinks when his in the bath! thanks
:D

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
if you bathe them regularly (a few times a week) and the water covers their tail and they are in the water for about 15-20 mins then they will hydrate easily enough. They take in water through their vent so dont worry if they dont drink the bathwater :)

Babies dont really eat much greens but keep offering them, one day they will surprise you :) When they are young the ratio is 80% live feeders 20% greens. As adults it changes to 20% live feeders and 80% greens.

prexX

about bathing a few times a week.... isnt that only when they're young?

My beardie's around 8/9 months old and i've learned that with her age I should give her a bath only 2 or 3 times a month.

Tell me if I'm wrong ^^

Livey

Extreme Poster
I bathe mine every 2 days, there all 1year +..
They still need as much water as any other age dragon..
And i agree, they eat more veg when they get older :)

prexX

Livey":3krpik3r said:
They still need as much water as any other age dragon..

Not trying to disagree with you or anything, just a small correction: bearded dragons barely need any water at all.
Where they live, you can drive miles and miles and you won't see a drop of water, bearded dragons barely need any water. Usually ppl give them warm baths just like they give to most reptiles, but thats just to help with the change of skin, nothing more. I don't think there's any kind of problem with bathing them anyway, but I'm pretty sure they'll live just as happy without any water ;) obviously why not giving them a small bowl with fresh water just in case, but even that, it's just an extra ;)

Livey

Extreme Poster
prexX":ttutzbd6 said:
Tell me if I'm wrong ^^

Why ask if you were wrong then?
They collect water off there noses every morning from the dew, so infact they drink almost daily :wink:
I give mine baths every two days because they are in captivity and seen though as i can control it i do,
My 3 drink from that bath every time they are bathed.
And saying that they wont poop in there vivs :)

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
My beardie likes her bath and if she poops in it then it saves me cleaning up her viv. I don't like putting a bowl in her viv (although some owners do - each to their own) because she sits in it all time and drags veg into it so it's not very hygenic. i also struggle with humidity levels when I add a water bowl.

Also it's remembering that they do not have much access to water in the wild AND their life expectency isn't very high, many only living a couple of years or so, I am no expert but i assume that lack of water, amongst many other things contributes to this.

Beardies DO hydrate through their vents and many beardies DONT drink from standing water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom