Eating EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeste

Been a while since I last posted anything, but I have a major concern about my little (who is not so little anymore) Levi.
She is 5 month old, eats all her veggies as well as 60 - 100 crickets a day. She really eats a lot, and is slightly obese :shock: (according to the vet and other beardie owners) Her temps, viv etc. are fine, and I am keeping her on newspaper until I put in tile. She mostly eats leafy veggies like dandelion, hibiscus, mustard greens and watercress (she doesnt like anything that isn't green)...and that is the problem. My room is green, as well as alot of my clothes. She tries to eat EVERYTHING!
My clothes, scarves, towel, pillow, blanket...even the rings on my finger and my hair!! Is this normal behavior? I am scared to take her out of her viv, because she runs around trying to chew everything! This morning i had to pull her of the curtain coz she wouldn't let go, and in the process she bit my finger! (which has never happened before, because she doesnt really bite and is very tame)
I dust her cricks with calcium, mist her veggies, and give her baths every second day.
For a dragon that eats ALOT 3 times a day, I dont understand why she is doing this?
I would understand if she tried to lick everything (which is where it started)
Has anyone seen this behavior from their dragons, or any suggestions?
Thanx!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Can you post a picture? I've never seen a fat 5 month old before.
Are you using multi vitamin dust too? If not the get some and use it twice a week. How big are her crickets? Is it possible to move up to the next size so they fill her up faster? How much greens is a lot? 1 cup, 2 cups? There really shouldn't be a problem with her eating all the greens she wants, especially if she is that hungry.
Have you had her checked for parasites recently? I don't know if that would cause excess hunger but you might want to check that.

Celeste

Original Poster
I will post pic as soon as I get them uploaded :)
I forgot to mention the vitamins, she gets them too.
She eats about a cup of veggies every day, as soon as she finishes them, I give her some more. So she always has something to eat incase she is still hungry. The cricks are medium size (fit between her eyes/the width of her mouth) I tried large cricks, but she struggles to swallow them, and chocked on them, so Id rather stick to the safe ones for now :)...Checked for parasites, nothing there either!
She is very lively and healthy, i just dont understand her huge appetite!

Will post pics asap! thanks for the reply :D

jreed

we have five little ones 1 is about five yrs old others just over a year old and they all seemed to go through this stage as a matter of fact are oldest still is kinda doing the same thing the others seemed to have grown out of it dont think you have anything to worry about just keep a eye on her and make sure she dont eat any thing she shouldnt once she gets to sub adult around 9 to 12 months old she should slow down on eating

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
As far as her trying to eat everything that's green. That's a common behavior with several reptiles. They associate a particular color with food, and are willing to try everything of that color. Green is the most popular due to it being the main color of their diet, but you occasionally see other colors. There's a member here who's dragon likes red.

With my animals, they calmed down after a while.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
My youngest, Spirit, is almost 5 months now and she eats sooooo much! She will eat about a cup of salad which consists of greens and yellow squash. It takes her about 5 minutes to clean her plate, then about 3 hrs later is lunch time and she will get 40-50 crickets which she will eat within 5 to 8 mins. Around 6 hours later she will get about 30 more crickets. She does not hesitate to show me she's hungry. She will bite her plate and try to move it across her viv. I have to capture this on video next time she does it lol. Anyway my point is at this age they do eat a lot and they do think they are hungry all of the time and as one other poster said your baby is probably associating the color green with food lol. Maybe change the color of your room?

Celeste

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Im still struggling to get the photos off my phone :(
I cant change my entire room and wardrobe, so I guess Ill have to live with it for a while :)

I am going to post some photos though, I would like to know if Levi realy is fat, or just happy and healthy :blob8:

Celeste

Original Poster
IMG00062-20110503-1337.jpg

a month ago....and much smaller

IMG00065-20110503-1337.jpg

IMG00084-20110510-1731.jpg

IMG00087-20110511-0649.jpg

IMG00090-20110511-0706.jpg

IMG00094-20110511-1457.jpg

Levi is my first bearded dragon, so I wouldn't know.
Is she too fat?
Somehow I don't believe that animals would eat more than they need...but if the vet says she a 'glutinous eater'?

jreed

i dont think she is fat she looks very healthy and happy and as long as she is pooping good i wouldn't worry she is still growing and will level out soon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom