Early tail rot, or difficult shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chieftoad

Hello all. We have had Leia for a week now, and we adopted her from a family that could no longer have her. Since then I’ve been researching just about everything I can about anything I might experience with her, so that I know that she’s in good health etc. note. She has had improper lighting and is 14” long. We have ordered her main tube light and are waiting for it to arrive. She has been mainly under a single multi bulb that claims to do everything.

Anyways she seems healthy over all, but is shedding. At the very tip (my thumb is in the picture so you can tell how small the weird portion is. It almost looks shrunk just slightly, but has not darkened. In the week that we have had her it has not changed, and considering how washed out her tail looks, I think her tail still needs to shed but is being difficult. I have heard that we can soak her tail in a water and betadine mixture and apply neosporin to it, If it is in fact tail rot. I also tested her tail without like bending it hard, like shown in the picture, and her tail returns to the straighter position without issue. None of the scaling seems loose. The tail is meaty and healthy looking all the way down as far as I can tell…

I have read that sometimes during a shed that be old skin can constrict parts until it finally loosens? Is there anyway to assist in her tail shedding so that we can be sure?

Her tail is not black as you can see, just that weird dry tip…

I have been told this can become serious very quickly, and as her new dad, it’s my duty to make sure she is 100% if possible.

Let me know what you think, and thank you for any feedback.

Attachments

• BFDDACD0-16AA-4FC3-91C5-B8F66B242B9F.jpeg
    BFDDACD0-16AA-4FC3-91C5-B8F66B242B9F.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 140

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all. We have had Leia for a week now, and we adopted her from a family that could no longer have her. Since then I’ve been researching just about everything I can about anything I might experience with her, so that I know that she’s in good health etc. note. She has had improper lighting and is 14” long. We have ordered her main tube light and are waiting for it to arrive. She has been mainly under a single multi bulb that claims to do everything.

Anyways she seems healthy over all, but is shedding. At the very tip (my thumb is in the picture so you can tell how small the weird portion is. It almost looks shrunk just slightly, but has not darkened. In the week that we have had her it has not changed, and considering how washed out her tail looks, I think her tail still needs to shed but is being difficult. I have heard that we can soak her tail in a water and betadine mixture and apply neosporin to it, If it is in fact tail rot. I also tested her tail without like bending it hard, like shown in the picture, and her tail returns to the straighter position without issue. None of the scaling seems loose. The tail is meaty and healthy looking all the way down as far as I can tell…

I have read that sometimes during a shed that be old skin can constrict parts until it finally loosens? Is there anyway to assist in her tail shedding so that we can be sure?

Her tail is not black as you can see, just that weird dry tip…

I have been told this can become serious very quickly, and as her new dad, it’s my duty to make sure she is 100% if possible.

Let me know what you think, and thank you for any feedback.
Looks like shed to me --- we can have AHBD take a look -- what MVB are you using? Brand and bulb - its good you have ordered a long tube fixture what did you order please? Brand and bulb please-- they have certain distance and placement requirements for these bulbs --
@AHBD

Chieftoad

Original Poster
Looks like shed to me --- we can have AHBD take a look -- what MVB are you using? Brand and bulb - its good you have ordered a long tube fixture what did you order please? Brand and bulb please-- they have certain distance and placement requirements for these bulbs --
@AHBD

The light we ordered is the 24” Arcadia Prot5 12%
The light that is in there is a all in one uvb, uva, light and heat bulb by solar glo. 125w her basking spot seems okay she likes it up there on her ceramic log thing and will reach up and begin to gape. I also ordered the temp meter that you point and shoot. The one in her tank (from previous owner) isn’t very clear… it just shows like temps in 10s with no clear way of discerning exact temp.

With her current setup both lights can sit above the mesh side by side.

Btw while on the subject. What cool, day, and bask temps are you trying to reach? I just want to make sure both lights together aren’t overheating the tank since that other bulb is an all in one.

Thanks again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The light we ordered is the 24” Arcadia Prot5 12%
The light that is in there is a all in one uvb, uva, light and heat bulb by solar glo. 125w her basking spot seems okay she likes it up there on her ceramic log thing and will reach up and begin to gape. I also ordered the temp meter that you point and shoot. The one in her tank (from previous owner) isn’t very clear… it just shows like temps in 10s with no clear way of discerning exact temp.

With her current setup both lights can sit above the mesh side by side.

Btw while on the subject. What cool, day, and bask temps are you trying to reach? I just want to make sure both lights together aren’t overheating the tank since that other bulb is an all in one.

Thanks again.
Cool side of the tank 80's during the day middle of the tank 90's and basking adult 95-100 this should be surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate- when the uvb comes in please post so we can help you get it placed for your tank- they have certain distance and placement depending on your screen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah there's nothing alarming there, just a wee crimp at the end that should be no problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom