dubias from Petco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
I found dubia roaches at my local Petco, which was surprising. Apart from them being outrageously expensive, is there anything wrong with Petco roaches? I know these big box pet stores aren't exactly known for carrying quality items. But I'd like to try them out before I commit to ordering a ton online.

kornel351

Hatchling Member
I brought mine from Petland discounts and world class aquarium and they are doing fine just go for it and give them a try .

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I couldn't see why not. I would buy a couple and then make sure he likes them, ad then buy online. I get 1k smalls for $30 + free shipping

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, they have been selling them for quite awhile. Too expensive and mostly dead or dying. They are in the deli cups and they don't get fed because its sealed shut.

NewMomLyn

JessPets":3k1gzthd said:
I couldn't see why not. I would buy a couple and then make sure he likes them, ad then buy online. I get 1k smalls for $30 + free shipping

Where do you get that many for that cheap Jess?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
As far as we know, Petco is currently the only place we can get dubias here in Anchorage Alaska, and we haven't had any problems with them as far as health is concerned, but they do seem to have some trouble keeping them in stock up here.

If you buy the ones with the most recent pack date, you're more likely to get some live ones. You can also look at the food cube they put in the deli cup, and if it looks like it's still moist as opposed to dried up, you're probably good. You can, of course, also look at the roaches themselves to see how many are still moving :) We've found that as long as they're less than about a week old, they're usually still going to be in pretty good shape. Roaches have an amazing ability to survive.

They're more expensive than crickets, but that's about the only disadvantage. They're more nutritious for the dragons and easier for their human slaves to take care of :)

Taffer

Hatchling Member
JSW...from what I've seen on most Amazon and Ebay sites, Dubia roaches cannot be shipped to Alaska, Florida or Hawaii (quote: Unfortunately, due to state laws, we cannot ship to Florida, Hawaii and Alaska).

If you want to start your own colony, I'd suggest buying the biggest nymphs you can get your hands on from the pet store and put them in a bin, put it in a dark space (closet or basement), heat it to 80-90 degrees and only open it to feed and water them. There are tons of sites and YouTube video's telling you how to keep Dubia roaches, care for them and breed them. Once they start breeding, you probably don't want to start pulling feeder roaches from the bin for about 3 months. I think most sites say to keep something like 1 male for ever 3 females, or 2 males for every 5 females, and feed off the rest of the adult males so they don't compete/fight for the females. I think I read that if you have too many adult males they may also kill the nymphs, but take that with a grain of salt until you read it somewhere or someone confirms this.

Rankins prefers Orange Head roaches over Dubia. If you search through his posts I believe he may have explained somewhere why he prefers them over Dubia.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I thought I had replied already.
Too expensive and mostly dead or dying. They are in the deli cups and they don't get fed because its sealed shut.
That was what I expected to hear.

I ended up buying them just to see how he liked them. I did get a cup of mostly alive ones - at 35c per roach! He ate ten. :shock: He hasn't eaten hardly anything since I got him a couple of weeks ago. I guess he likes them and I will be ordering some from online.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got my dubideli.com roaches and he loves them. Now I just have to figure out to best keep roaches! I assume that info is on here somewhere so off to search I go! :D

Taffer

Hatchling Member
JSW, try this link. Plenty of fresh information on Dubia roaches, the enclosures, heating, humidity, food, egg crates, etc. A plethora of valuable information. :0)

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=225240

However, if you are thinking about starting a breeding colony of your own, check out the information the user "Rankins" posted about Orange Head Roaches. They are a bit meatier than Dubias so you get more meat to exoskeleton.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Definitely not looking to breed my own just now, but I'd like to be able to buy a few hundred at a time to save a little money. ?

Taffer

Hatchling Member
Jsw":3t2jina3 said:
Thanks! Definitely not looking to breed my own just now, but I'd like to be able to buy a few hundred at a time to save a little money. ?

This is where I've been buying mine the past couple of times until my colony is large enough to start robbing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182374914352

Ebay - Username is Aman-Bent (Amanda Bentley). She sells 200 small/medium sized roaches for $12.00, and $6.95 (I think) for expedited shipping. My order was more on the medium size than the small, which was good as my dragon "Monster" is over 20". The last order I did I clicked "Make Offer" and asked her to send me 400 instead of 200, and I only had to pay once for shipping. She is very nice and easy to work with if you want any other size orders too.

Tell her "Taffer" sent you (Or Troy, my real name). :D

My 2nd order should be here today, but my first order arrived with a heat pack, in two plastic containers filled with oats and a few carrots. I didn't watch the tracking and they arrived 2 days sooner than expected and sat outside in the mailbox for 36+ hours, and over half of that time it was below 32 degrees. I expected a lot of dead roaches, but I opened each container and sorted through them one at a time and 100% of the roaches were still alive, and in the couple of weeks it took to feed them off only one single roach died which I believe was during molting. I asked her a few questions and she was quick to reply and happy to share information.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, Petco dubias are usually dead or dying. But if that's the only way to get them its worth buying them. It will take awhile to build the colony up. Hopefully you can get someone to send you some. As others have mentioned I do like orange head roaches a lot better than dubias, but they might be even harder for you to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom