Dubias Are Cuties!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Ok, so whenever I mention my Dubias to anyone, even my gf that also owns a beardie, they all react the same way, "EW!!! You have roaches?!"

Now a few months ago, I may have reacted the same way. But after housing both crickets and dubias, I can't see why anyone would find them disgusting but not care if crickets are in their house. Basically, my view of roaches and crickets has completely flipped.

Crickets are grotesque. I truly believe they are hell-spawn. They are cannibals, they stink, they jump, the chirp to no end, they make a mess of their food and water, and they are just simply ugly! Dubias may also be cannibals, but they don't stink, they don't jump (for the most part), they don't chirp, they don't make a mess of their food, and they are cute!!

This is why I don't like the reaction that most people give to my cute roaches. They are as much of pet now as Lemon is. I can't be the only one who feels this way. Anyone else this fond of their Dubias?
 

icelore

Juvie Member
I think crickets are cute. They have cute faces. I don't see a difference between how the dubias and crickets treat their food - they both crawl all over it, crap on it, and scatter it. Crickets smell far worse, but dubias smell too, just not as bad. The noise crickets make is my biggest point of contention with them, but dubias are so big that they creep me out.
 

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
icelore":34e8h501 said:
I think crickets are cute. They have cute faces. I don't see a difference between how the dubias and crickets treat their food - they both crawl all over it, crap on it, and scatter it. Crickets smell far worse, but dubias smell too, just not as bad. The noise crickets make is my biggest point of contention with them, but dubias are so big that they creep me out.

Their size is really what makes them most appealing to me. They remind me a lot of horseshoe crabs.
 

jstans84

Member
Nope, roaches are the spawn of Satan and should be exterminated. *shudder* They are literally the only thing in existance that creeps me out. I hope my beardie doesn't ever want to eat any of them because he never will get that chance, lol.
 

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jstans84":3b6s14qo said:
Nope, roaches are the spawn of Satan and should be exterminated. *shudder* They are literally the only thing in existance that creeps me out. I hope my beardie doesn't ever want to eat any of them because he never will get that chance, lol.

Well that's just mean to your beardie. They are one of the most nutritious feeders. I'm sure they taste good to the beardies too since Lemon will not eat crickets anymore.
 

jstans84

Member
ILoveLemmonade":2l0fsgmj said:
Well that's just mean to your beardie. They are one of the most nutritious feeders. I'm sure they taste good to the beardies too since Lemon will not eat crickets anymore.

Meh, he will be fine with crickets and worms.
 

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I too feel dubias are almost like a 3rd pet. After years with crickets, I hate them. The big ones I've had awhile actually are semi calm which is weird. I can open the lid and they will just chill on their food. The little ones and new ones I get scurry off under the mound of paper towel rolls though. And i'm sure they taste great cause Harley absolutely loves em. She quit eating crickets after tasting dubias and even phoenix worms are meh to her now. She will eat em but she goes crazy for dubias. She will pack away 20+ for lunch easy and then eat another 10-15 for dinner. Breakfast is greens and phoenix worms. And yeah I agree Ilovelommonade, the big ones do remind me of horseshoe crabs or live trilobite fossils haha.
 

joea

Hatchling Member
ILoveLemmonade":3emovv3u said:
Their size is really what makes them most appealing to me. They remind me a lot of horseshoe crabs.
Then you'll love Madagascar Hissing Roaches. There is more to love & they talk back, hisssssss! :mrgreen:


ILoveLemmonade":3emovv3u said:
Their size is really what makes them most appealing to me.They remind me a lot of horseshoe crabs

Then you'll love the Horseshoe Crab Roach. :love10:

 

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Never messed with hissers. The idea of a bug hissing at me kinda freaks me out :lol: What is that horseshoe crab roach thing? Plus at the moment Harley is too small for those. She's only 9 inches but eating half a freakin colony a day and growing like a weed haha.
 

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@Sauzo - that's exactly what I was referring to! The trilobites. Those horseshoe crab roaches don't look to far off from the Dubias. Neither do the hissers but again I wouldn't like an animal hissing at me.
 

joea

Hatchling Member
Sauzo":3cycgyt1 said:
Never messed with hissers. The idea of a bug hissing at me kinda freaks me out :lol: What is that horseshoe crab roach thing? Plus at the moment Harley is too small for those. She's only 9 inches but eating half a freakin colony a day and growing like a weed haha.
About two bucks for a large nymph. :mrgreen:

Hemiblabera tenebricosa
A very timid species, these guys stay buried most of the time. You're most likely to see them early in the morning or late ate night, especially the adults. Males have an adorable courtship dance; they flap their little wing stubs up in down in front of the females, making them look like Mickey Mouse! This species ranges from 1.2 inches (very small males) to 2.5 inches (BIG females). One of the things I like most about this species is that they tolerate cool temperatures and breed well at them.
 
just got a few dubias for my boys, and i already want to start a colony- crickets are ok, but i like that the roaches are better for them.. and they seem easier to catch while still giving some exercise. plus, the dubias don't look like house roaches! superworms for taft (the big guy) seem like a worthy colony to try as well.. but i've never been afraid/freaked out by bugs. :blob8:
 

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
cricketbidwell":vy3l94z2 said:
just got a few dubias for my boys, and i already want to start a colony- crickets are ok, but i like that the roaches are better for them.. and they seem easier to catch while still giving some exercise. plus, the dubias don't look like house roaches! superworms for taft (the big guy) seem like a worthy colony to try as well.. but i've never been afraid/freaked out by bugs. :blob8:

I instantly regretted buying crickets in bulk the first time I did. The smell and sound were unbearable! I was hoping the reaction with dubias would be different... boy was I right! They are much much much better, not only in terms of nutrition, but also in terms of care. I am loving my colony. Haven't had to buy any feeders for a couple of months, and it's been great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!
Trying to finish setting up my beardie tank. Just gotta connect it to the power.
Okay lol so as I was told my baby was a boy when I rescued him hehe well I took him to my vet and was advised he is a she ! I was thinking of renaming her to Virgo from Toothless any suggestions for names 😊🥰
I am new and looking for a teen beardie. I have been doing a lot of research for about 2 years.
I'm new here but not new to dragons or snakes. Over the 7 years. I opened my heart and home to neglected. unwanted dras and snakes, some critical conditions. Then nursing them back to health and their final family home. I regularly help my reptiles vet with emergency appointments and I also provide the care in my little quenteen,

Forum statistics

Threads
151,867
Messages
1,217,323
Members
74,214
Latest member
Dave_in_LA
Top Bottom