Dubia: Vegies, Roach Chow, Water Gels die off

Status
Not open for further replies.

dociledragons

Juvie Member
So I have 296 Adult (yes I counted them) and about 1000 nymph Dubias. I noticed for the past 4 months I've had them both adults and nymphs eat only veggies. I put the roach chow (blended dog food, oats, rabbit food) in a pile in the corner of the tote next, to that is the veggies then, comes water gels.

When I put a hand full of veggies in at night it's gone but, the roach chow isn't touched. I thought they needed the protein to survive. Maybe, they need less of it to fill up. I think I will limit them to 3 times a week for veggies. To see if they eat more chow.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Also, In the past 4 months I've had 60 adult females and 44 adult males die. Is this normal? Maybe, because they aren't eating the roach chow? It could also be because they died of old age. I purchased them from a guy locally. I should mention the adults are in a separate bin then the nymphs. I use a heating pad which gets 95°on the bottom and an ambient temperature of 75-80°. The Humidity is 55°

Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
dociledragons":34ush120 said:
So I have 296 Adult (yes I counted them) and about 1000 nymph Dubias. I noticed for the past 4 months I've had them both adults and nymphs eat only veggies. I put the roach chow (blended dog food, oats, rabbit food) in a pile in the corner of the tote next, to that is the veggies then, comes water gels.

When I put a hand full of veggies in at night it's gone but, the roach chow isn't touched. I thought they needed the protein to survive. Maybe, they need less of it to fill up. I think I will limit them to 3 times a week for veggies. To see if they eat more chow.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Also, In the past 4 months I've had 60 adult females and 44 adult males die. Is this normal? Maybe, because they aren't eating the roach chow? It could also be because they died of old age. I purchased them from a guy locally. I should mention the adults are in a separate bin then the nymphs. I use a heating pad which gets 95°on the bottom and an ambient temperature of 75-80°. The Humidity is 55°

Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.
Sounds like the husbandry is spot on. However I would do just a few things different and see if it helps you. First take the rabbit food out of the chow and add some tropical fish food flakes. Also add some natural wheat's and natural honey granules. Sounds like they need more protein. Next only put veggies in 1-2 times a week and also add some oranges. They are eating the veggies for the hydration. Are your water crystals wet enough? If so squeeze an orange over the crystals. Also what is your male to female ratio and is their enough room for them? As in enough egg creates for them to scatter? As for that many die offs it just does not sound right. Shoot a pic of your setup and maybe I can see what you got going on. Good luck...... :D

dociledragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's A 55L (15 gal). You can see There is lots of room. I actually had them in a 40 gal but I switched them to a smaller tote. I've been feeding them limited veggies now and they seem to be eating more of the chow. I also purchased some All Natural Chick starter from Nutrena/Nature Wise with Phosphorus .6% and 18% Crude Protein. I was going to try that instead of the dog food. I have eliminated the rabbit food but what is wrong with it. I have noticed others do recommend it. I've been looking for fish flakes in bulk and have been giving them oranges. I should not it's only the adults. I'm now thinking you are right, they are not eating enough protein and I also think some are dieing of old age seeing how they were only .12 cents each and the males were free. My ratio is now 5 to 1. Because, 54 males and 60 females have died. They Don't seem to be munched on or dieing on there backs. Also, The adult are the only ones that are dieing. Ok, Thanks for your reply I think I answered all your Questions. Let me know if you have anymore.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
The rabbit feed has a lot of by products the roaches don't need and cant digest. Depends on how much was used is probably why they where going after the greens to try to flush the chow out. Also did you notice any of the adults with any wing damage or look like they shriveled up? When they died where their body's down and any damage to the body's? Did you also notice any of the juveniles having any body issues?

Oranges can be used at least twice a week and squeeze some juice in the water crystals. That will stimulate the gastric cacea and fat body's. Its kinda like restarting their systems but clean. :D

dociledragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the rabbit feed. I only but a couple cups in a gallon of the mix. so, It's highly diluted and I didn't add it till later. So, I'm sure that's not the prob. The males do have chewed wings as the pic shows. I did notice the body's are down, they weren't upside down. This problem is only with the adults that I have noticed thus far. I have noticed they are eating more of the chow now that I'm not giving them veggies. Also, I have upped the humidity b/c it's possible my hygrometer isn't that accurate.

This pic show the roach died with her abdomen open. I'm guessing that lack of humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom