Dubia Roaches on chicken feed pellets

FireGuy

Hi, I need some advise on weather to feed my dragon some dubia roaches that I received yesterday. The roaches was purchase off amazon from dubiaroaches.com. Roaches are approx. 1" but the issue I'm have in mind is that there where chicken feed pellets in the travel bag. Would those pellets increase the roaches uric acid? Also should i tried to detox the roaches on veggies/fruits for a few week or am I fine to feed them as is? Any advice would be appreciated.

Killa J

It doesn’t look like there’s a known exact amount of protein to feed dubias. According to dubiaroachdepot.com, a study done on a different roach species found 25% to be the sweet spot. The chick feed I use is 17%, the Repashy Bug Burger I was using is 13%. The same article said that lower protein levels were fine, but reproduction and growth were slower.

Hatchi

Beardie name(s)
Alfred AKA The UlanBaby
Hi, I need some advise on weather to feed my dragon some dubia roaches that I received yesterday. The roaches was purchase off amazon from dubiaroaches.com. Roaches are approx. 1" but the issue I'm have in mind is that there where chicken feed pellets in the travel bag. Would those pellets increase the roaches uric acid? Also should i tried to detox the roaches on veggies/fruits for a few week or am I fine to feed them as is? Any advice would be appreciated.
If you think that the roaches have been exposed to chicken feed pellets, you should definitely return the roaches and demand a refund. The chicken feed pellet exposure could cause some health issues for your baby.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
25% is definitely too high of a protein diet if you're breeding the roaches yourself. If you're buying young roaches from a breeder and feeding them off, it's not really an issue. Uric acid builds up over time, so in young dubia it isn't as much of an issue. But if you're feeding larger-adult dubias, a high protein diet like that definitely will cause a high build up of Uric acid.

I don't recommend anything over 12% protein for dubias. My colonies get around 6-8%.

There are a few threads on this topic i've posted on where I go more into detail if you're interested.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom