Dubia/Roach breeders I got a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seymours

Hatchling Member
I have a ? Im getting things set up for when you send me my mix :) I cant find a heating pad that doesnt have an auto shut off and was wondering if that is what you use or if i can use a reptile heating pad but not sure what size to use for a 18 gallon tub to keep the right themps? thanks

Emegaz

I am kinda lucky. I live in arizona and have central air so I can keep a constant 85 in the house. So I don't need a heating pad. I dunno if you've looked at this yet [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=38632 f=18 ]

lotta good stuff their

seymours

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks great info, learned alot. The only other ? i have is when i get my 75 nymphs and 5 adult females/2 adult males should i put them all in one tub for a while,then switch some smaller ones to another tub since im going to have a breeder tub and a feeder tub? what do you reccomend. Im feeding 2 beardies and 1 baby tegu.

Emegaz

well I just started breeding a little bit ago. I just search and find out stuff. But yes I plan to have a breeding tub and feeding tub.

I mean it really doesn't matter. It just makes it better for you since 1 you wont be disrupting the females and males in the breeding tub as much which might mean more babies then normal.

Also if u have lets say 1 adult beardie and 1 young beardie then you could have 2 feeder tubs. So that smaller ones are in one and bigger ones in another. Just to make it that much easier.

I got 300 roaches(11 females 8 males) to start and have them all in 1 bin so far. Main reason i haven't sorted them into a breeding tub and a feeding tub is that I know I wont have enough to use as feeders for atleast a month.

Answer: yes I would separate them but not till you have enough to be feeding on a pretty regular scale
but Id have 2 small tub set up for the feeding. 1 for small roaches for the babys and 1 for bigger roaches

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I just set up a dubia colony myself. If you want to shut off the pad you could just buy a timer.It's probably cheaper than buying one with a built-in timer. My pad is large as it is in a 55 gallon tank. The heater should cover a least half of the bottom. My temps now are around 95 at the bottom, I added a heat lamp above on the same side, have to check temps today. Any other questions just ask. David

furmanbr

I was just about to post the same question but unfortunately when i went to look at the link to the other thread it said it is no longer available or something. So can someone either give me another link to a working thread or maybe suggest a brand or specific heating pad that doesnt shut off automatically?

kalipbean

Hatchling Member
I found my heating pad on ebay for $12 shipped, great deal and its almost impossible to find them w/o a auto-shut off in the store. With the low amount of roaches your starting with, keep em all in 1 bin. If i were you, id try to bump up the numbers your getting. More you get, faster you'll be able to start feeding from the colony. With those low numbers, i would say 4-6 months before you start dishing out of it. Try to add some more adult trios (2 girls, 1 boy). The Roach Ranch & The Roach Guy both sell trios for $1.50 or so, and thats dirt cheap for what your getting. Get another 15 girls to speed things up, the last thing you wanna do is start feeding early and wipe out your colony and wait again a few months.

crazyseany

Hatchling Member
I got my heating pad at CVS... $15.99.... Cheapest one they have... My wifes $70 one had shutoff but the cheapy doesn't.

sean

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
i got my heating pad a wal-mart and it had a auto-shut off didnt relize it when i bought it so then i looked in the control unit and took the chip out of there and did a little reasearch and figured out what piece to take off the green board and took it off and now it works all day every day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom