Dubia or Discoids confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
ok so i bought someones colony. and there are two different kinds. FIrst his this big guy
2012-03-26_14-19-26_918.jpg

discoid? the guy that bought all these big ones said they were Blaberus Hybrids, Are females and males of this kind equiped with full wings?
Next is what i think is a dubia male
2012-03-26_14-19-35_49.jpg

HE has two little dots on his head. Dubia?

2012-03-26_14-19-55_163.jpg

2012-03-26_14-20-04_828.jpg

Now the last pic might not be a full adult but she was shiny so i threw her in there lol Are these both female dubia's? if so then i am very happy at the moment because in his colony there were 47 at least females and alot more just under adulthood. If the discoids or blaberus hybrids male and female both have large wings then all i have are babies of those. I also have some babies I would like determind to see if they are dubia's or not as well and will post pics of those later tonight or tomorrow. Any help is appreciated. THANKS! I really only want dubia's in my colony so if thats the case that i have 2 breeds i will be doing alot of selling them once they are adults.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those big ones make me want to smush their guts all over the floor, they are so gross and are much faster then the dubia's i have lol, So im wanting to not ahve any of those. Was wanting to breed dubia's to sell locally as well and dont want buyers getting the cheap end of the deal by getting discoids

Germ

Hatchling Member
Flynnthedragon":22u0hu4g said:
ok so i bought someones colony. and there are two different kinds. FIrst his this big guy
2012-03-26_14-19-26_918.jpg

Yes, the fellow on top in the above pic is definitely a Male Discoid Cockroach (Blaberus Discoidalis) also known as the 'False Death's Head Cockroach'
discoid? the guy that bought all these big ones said they were Blaberus Hybrids, Are females and males of this kind equiped with full wings?
Yes, both Male & Female Discoids have full wings. Adult Males have wings slightly longer than than the body, Adult Female's wings are slightly shorter than the body and are generally a little bigger than the Males.
Next is what i think is a dubia male
2012-03-26_14-19-35_49.jpg

HE has two little dots on his head. Dubia?

2012-03-26_14-19-55_163.jpg

The fellow on the right in the above pic is also a Male Discoid
2012-03-26_14-20-04_828.jpg

The rest appear to be Dubia to me.

Now the last pic might not be a full adult but she was shiny so i threw her in there lol Are these both female dubia's? if so then i am very happy at the moment because in his colony there were 47 at least females and alot more just under adulthood. If the discoids or blaberus hybrids male and female both have large wings then all i have are babies of those. I also have some babies I would like determind to see if they are dubia's or not as well and will post pics of those later tonight or tomorrow. Any help is appreciated. THANKS! I really only want dubia's in my colony so if thats the case that i have 2 breeds i will be doing alot of selling them once they are adults.
Just so you know, Discoids are every bit as good of a feeder as Dubia, just not as common. Their care is exactly the same. I am told that they multiply about the same as Dubia (Not sure as I've never kept Dubia) & that they do move a little quicker.
I chilled up a couple of mine & took some pics to show the differences between the Male & Female ...

Discoids014.jpg

Discoids004.jpg

I also took a pic of some Discoid nymphs that may or may not help to give you an idea on sorting the nymphs & sub adults.

Discoids019.jpg

I also have a number of HD vids of my Discoids that may also be helpful in differentiating between the 2 species, that can be viewed HERE.

Hope this helps some & Good Luck
GermainSig4.jpg

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the awesome reply. I know they are jsut as good they just creep me out more and i have to use a sharpy pen to get them out. I couldnt touch them lol. Dubia's how ever i can touch and have crawling all over me. The reason i want just Dubia is. i think i said it but Im wanting to sell dubia's when my colony gets big enough. I dont want someone getting lets say a starter breeding kit and get some discoids in there and want a refund or something :) And as for the nymphs and subadults i will just let grow until they hit adult hood and then sell them. MY beardy is only 6 inches and only able to eat the babies anyways and they arn't doing any harm, would be a huge pain picking them out one by one as well as there is i dont even know how many :)

again thanks a bunch for the awesome reply I really appreciate it

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hmm all right.. thats what the guy that bought said they were and i couldnt find anything online.. everything just kept linking back to discoids lol thanks again:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom