dubia - max heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
The joys of living in Dallas, I turned a section of my garage into a warm spot for my colony. Now Im remembering how hot this will be in a few weeks, and im worried I might come come to a dead colony. Even with circulation, 105 happens in dallas, 110 happens, and 115 CAN happen. With plenty of water, can dubia survive this or do I need to figure out an ac system? Unfortunately it would be very costly for me to do this, so any input would be helpful.

Thanks

scm133

Juvie Member
From what I have read. The 100 temp should be ok. But anything higher will probably cause problems. They need humidity in the mid range, and with the high temp, that would be hard to do. Plus, the female will pop out the egg case to cool, so again..another problem. Maybe someone will come along that have used these high temps, and advise. When you have a good colony going, the worse thing would be to open the bin, and find cooked roaches. :(

clear

Sub-Adult Member
From experience once you get over 105 things go bad, quickly. (Air temp not surface temp)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Ever try putting a bag of ice in with the colony? I think that might work. It could be costly, but i think as long as they have a source of moisture the should be alright. Humidity is easy to keep up in warm air...because warm air can hold more moisture. If you ever try running the AC, the cool air actually is very dry; that's why you lips chap... But I don't think you need to get the humidifier to keep up humidity. Just provide them with fruits like cantaloupe and watermelons (which are their favorites) and you'll be fine.

You could try freezing water in empty soda plastic bottle and put them in with roaches. That would probably lower the temperature a few degree.... You could stach quite a few in the freezer and alternate between them. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom