Dubia, how many to start with? @_@;

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I have 2 beardies and I wanted to start a dubia colony and I don't have any idea on how many dubias I should start out with to make enough to feed them, and I also wanted to start feeding them out right away,
I was thinking about getting like the 60 females and 20 males, already adult and then get like the mixed pack of some kind, and the mixed I would feed out of I just don't know how many mixed I'd need to buy to get the other set up and breeding tbh, and the already adult males and females I'd leave alone to breed,

I wasn't sure which topic to post this under sorry if this is the wrong one lol

ibotu

if you want to start feeding them out right away, maybe get a couple thou? 60 fem. and 20 mal. will not do i guarantee you. If say, you were to get 2000 Mixed dubias, maybe, JUST MAYBE, you can feed them out. But 80 will not last long.

AlkalineLisa

Original Poster
I wasn't gonna feed out of the 60 and 20, I was gonna get a mixed pack to feed out of while the adults stayed untouched

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
it truly depends on what you can afford for adults. it seems adult dubia go for around $.50 to $1.00 each. I started out with 80 female, 20 male, and 200 mixed about 3 months ago. I'm now at the point where I'm starting to use the smaller ones as feeders but I'm still using crickets as well. The more adults you can afford, the quicker your colony will grow and be able to feed out of. I asked the same question when I started my colony and didn't really get a great answer :wink:

I hope this helps a little
Larry

ibotu

AlkalineLisa":2c4p9enn said:
I wasn't gonna feed out of the 60 and 20, I was gonna get a mixed pack to feed out of while the adults stayed untouched

are u plannning on separating the adults? because from what ive read, they can drop their eggs (not hatch) when bothered or stressed. so that constant bothering of the bin may slow the productioon down

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
ibotu":f1848xm4 said:
AlkalineLisa":f1848xm4 said:

are u planning on separating the adults? because from what ive read, they can drop their eggs (not hatch) when bothered or stressed. so that constant bothering of the bin may slow the productioon down

yeah, the best thing to do is have a breeder and a feeder bin. The probability of the females dropping their egg sacks are higher if you bother them a bunch but it's still not that high. I literally clean out my bins ever couple months and separate the adults from the nymphs. I check on the adults within a week of the clean out and I already start to see babies running around in the breeder bin.

jewl495

Juvie Member
How old are your dragons and how many feeders are you feeding per day? I would say at least 100 to 200 females 25-50 males, and about 600-1000 mixed sizes "IF" you are feeding baby/juvie dragons. A 100 female roaches would roughly produce 2000-3000 babies a month if they are producing at a rate of 20/30 babies per female. Two baby dragons would consume that in 20-30 days give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaylahoneyy
Top Bottom