Dubia Escape!

scar66

Well, it's happened. We returned home last night to catastrophe.

The bf and I left on a trip for a week and left what we thought were very clear instructions on how to feed our boy his dubia using his escape-proof dish. But it turns out if your caretaker just doesn't read instructions that doesn't matter! So instead, they put dubia in an empty water dish and basically slowly released dubia directly into our apartment over the course of a week. We don't know how many are out there, but so far we've recouped about 4 dozen.

We've caught a bunch and will be getting roach traps later today to hopefully catch more, but any tips from veteran dubia wranglers are appreciated.

I'm mostly worried because our current location is going through a heatwave with temps in the 90s in an area where traditionally AC units are not common, and our beardie's enclosure is also directly on top of our ball python's enclosure, which is always at ~92 degrees, with humidity over 60%. If they find their way in there, it's the perfect breeding spot. Which, obviously, is bad for everybody involved. Any tips to avoid this (moving her 4x2 enclosure elsewhere is not an option in our tiny apartment) would be even more greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well, it's happened. We returned home last night to catastrophe.

The bf and I left on a trip for a week and left what we thought were very clear instructions on how to feed our boy his dubia using his escape-proof dish. But it turns out if your caretaker just doesn't read instructions that doesn't matter! So instead, they put dubia in an empty water dish and basically slowly released dubia directly into our apartment over the course of a week. We don't know how many are out there, but so far we've recouped about 4 dozen.

We've caught a bunch and will be getting roach traps later today to hopefully catch more, but any tips from veteran dubia wranglers are appreciated.

I'm mostly worried because our current location is going through a heatwave with temps in the 90s in an area where traditionally AC units are not common, and our beardie's enclosure is also directly on top of our ball python's enclosure, which is always at ~92 degrees, with humidity over 60%. If they find their way in there, it's the perfect breeding spot. Which, obviously, is bad for everybody involved. Any tips to avoid this (moving her 4x2 enclosure elsewhere is not an option in our tiny apartment) would be even more greatly appreciated.
Most of them will die- I get some that escape every now and then and find them belly up

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Ugh. sorry this happened to you. Like KarrieRee said, they will die. I have sworn I dropped one and couldn't find it and viola, I found it and yes, it was belly up and dead. It was within a few days I believe, I can't remember the exact timeframe. So besides being frustrated and a waste of money and food, you'll be okay- no infestation. I would rather this option any time!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If im not mistaken they come from a tropical climate (South America i think) so even if they do survive for a little bit they should die off. You might have to do a deep errrr recon mission in the boa habitat though, they might would thrive there.
Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? (Just a guess)

scar66

Original Poster
If im not mistaken they come from a tropical climate (South America i think) so even if they do survive for a little bit they should die off. You might have to do a deep errrr recon mission in the boa habitat though, they might would thrive there.
Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? (Just a guess)

I'll definitely be cleaning out her enclosure thoroughly and replacing all of the substrate just in case. I feel bad bugging her because she's deep in blue right now, but it can't be helped!

And yup, you nailed it. I'm in Washington.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I lived in portland for a little bit, the "no air conditioners" gave it away lol

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom