Dubia allergy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
For those of you who feed dubias to their reptiles, how long have you been using them and if any of you or your family members have any allergic reactions ? I've been looking at threads from other forums where there seem to be a number of people that are allergic to them.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
We used them for a few months and didn't gave any issues. A guy I worked with when we were talking about feeders mentioned he was allergic to them, he said he would get like hayfever symptoms if he was around the Dubia tub when it was opened, I believe he said it was from something in their excrement that can cause it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've heard rumors of that but nobody in our house has shown any reaction to them, even after splitting the colony and keeping half of them in the main floor instead of the cellar.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks, I have had both lobster + hissers in the past, probably 15 yrs. ago and I had no problem. But then I never had allergic reactions to bee/hornet stings [ of which I've had quite a few ] in my life but developed them in the past few years.

So as I thought about possibly getting some dubias I wondered if I might have a new allergy to them as well.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
I know the guy at work used to take antihistamines if he got really bad. Maybe start with a small box and see how you go.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
AHBD":2s8tcnv2 said:
Thanks, I have had both lobster + hissers in the past, probably 15 yrs. ago and I had no problem. But then I never had allergic reactions to bee/hornet stings [ of which I've had quite a few ] in my life but developed them in the past few years.

So as I thought about possibly getting some dubias I wondered if I might have a new allergy to them as well.
Buy some and, test the theory! That is the only way you will know for sure.
I have heard of allergies to the common german house roach (those little infesting pests), but not dubias.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I definitely am allergic to them. I have had asthma and allergies my whole life. When I touch them my hand itches and I get a hive or two. So I wash them right away. When I clean out the bin I do it outside and I take allergy pill and I still sneeze, but it's not unbearable. Especially for my babies :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom