Dry Heaving *Please Help!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Mimi has been doing this every once and awhile.
It started when I went home and she was with my boyfriend.
He had let me know she was dry heaving but stopped and
I looked on a previous thread and someone said it was a sort of
stretch of the beard/ loosening of the soon to be shedded skin.
I came home and have realized it is much more than that now.
You can see that when she does it her stomach contracts.
She makes an awkward sound, kind of a gargle/ throat clearing sound.
No phlegm or liquid or anything has come out of either the nose or mouth.
I am awfully worried about her.

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is still gaging and heaving....
She resembles a cat when trying to spit up a furball
sound and movement and all
except nothing comes out.
I am super worried.
Does ANYONE have a clue whats going on?

PS. In addition to this, i think her tail is sore.
when ever i touch a certain spot she lifts her tail
as if she doesn't want me touching there.
I don't know if the 2 have anything to do with each other,
but there you go

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
That is almost definitely a respiratory infection. Try to get her to a vet for antibiotics ASAP. In the mean time, make sure the humidity in her tank is very low, so remove a water dish if you have one and crank up the heat. Get her daytime temperatures to 110-115 basking and don't let her cool side or night time temperatures drop below 80-85F.

She is absolutely beautiful. I hope you can get her to the vet and get her healthy.

How have her eating habits been?

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her eating has been relatively normal for her.
ever since we got her she has been a finicky popper
which effects how much she eats the next day.
She will eat 20-30 supers one day and
then 7-10 the next day because she hasn't pooped.

I don't think I can see a vet,
there isn't really a vet we can see
that last one (which was like an hour away)
misdiagnosed her tummy spots and recommended we fed her
meal worms and super worms at a small size and young age.
and to feed he spinach.
Do you know if i can just get the medicine offline?

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I'm so sorry your little one is having problems. How long has she been doing this....just this past evening?
Is it possible she have swallowed something that may be lodged or aspirated some water?
Have you noticed any popping or crackling sounds from her recently that could indicate a respiratory infection?
Have you noticed her gaping other than her basking spot?
Has she been acting any different? How is her appetite?...her energy level?
How are the temps in her enclosure. ....basking spot, warm end, cool end?
Could she have gotten cold for any length of time recently?
What is the humidity in her enclosure?

You can help her tonight by doing these things, it won't hurt her if it isn't a respiratory infection but will help her if it is.
Raise her enclosure temp 80 to 85 tonight.
Increase enclosure temps tomorrow to about 105*F basking, 90*F warm end and 85* cool end and keep her hydrated with the extra heat. That extra heat will boost her immune system.
You can sleep her with her body slightly elevated at an angle raising her head a bit higher than her tail to sleep It may help her to breath better.
If you do notice any mucus or saliva coming out of her mouth or nose or notice any moisture or wetness at all around her lips or nose you can sleep her at an angle so that her tail is higher than her head to help the fluid drain from her lungs.
In the 1st vid you can see her forced exhalation which is a symptom of a respiratory infection as is the sounds since beardies are silent
I'm not an expert but I would get her in to see a vet as soon as possible...like tomorrow morning. If it is a respiratory infection it's a severe one and she will probably need antibiotics.
I hope she's OK!
Amanda

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Oh, I just read your updated post which answers most of my questions. I know you said you can't get to a vet and want to get meds for her on-line. I wish I could help you more but she really needs to be seen by a professional. Respiratory infections are a serious illness in a beardie. By the time you can notice an illness in a bearded dragon they are usually very, very ill. In the wild they have to hide being ill or become a lunch, so they are good at not showing illnesss until they are very, very sick.
Amanda

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dragonlover3":2flgumph said:
Hi,
I'm so sorry your little one is having problems. How long has she been doing this....just this past evening?
she has been doing this for less than a week
Is it possible she have swallowed something that may be lodged or aspirated some water?
I am petty sure, but there is always the possibility of when im not there, but then again it is not likely because she is a very lazy lizard that likes to move seldom
Have you noticed any popping or crackling sounds from her recently that could indicate a respiratory infection?
popping and cracking, no. gurgling, throat clearing, and stuffy sounds, yes.
Have you noticed her gaping other than her basking spot?
not for long periods like when gaping. sometimes she will look like she is swallowing something.
Has she been acting any different? How is her appetite?...her energy level?
nothing really different, like i said she is a pretty lazy lizard.
How are the temps in her enclosure. ....basking spot, warm end, cool end?
basking get up to 110, warm area maybe 100-90, cool end no lower than 80
Could she have gotten cold for any length of time recently?
I don't think so, recently she has taken a liking to a little brick hut we made her. sometimes my boyfriend will sleep with her but she gets wrapped up and tucked in the covers and put against his body heat (which is always feverishly warm)
What is the humidity in her enclosure?
i have no clue, but we took out the water dish

I will try to find a new vet,
but like i said the closest one that would see reptiles
was very bad at it and wouldn't even hold her/examine her.
right now i have her wrapped up,
should I keep her under the light all night?
I don't have a CHE and the blanket blockes the light so she can sleep.
thank you for your help

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Meowser
Often the name of the game is improvise! Sure, you can leave the light on with her covered so the light won't bother, excellent! I'm so sorry there isn't a good vet near by for you! I have often read on here where there aren't good exotics vets close by for a lot of people. That is truly sad! I'm very lucky to have an excellent exotics vet a 15 minute drive from my house and he's available 24/7/365 for all his patients. I wish I could help you more! Please let us know how things work out. I care and I'm thinking about you and your little one!
Hugs
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom