Drop off in live food interest around 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjosephs

Hey All,

I got my beardie at a few weeks old from the local Petco in August '12. Around 2 months ago, after eating crickets voraciously every day since I brought him home, he just stopped eating them. I'd been offering Kale, dandelion greens, bell peppers, green beans, and the occasional carrots and fruit all along and his interest in them grew as he got older. I haven't been able to get him very interested in live food since then, and his consumption of greens has never been substantial - maybe twice a month he'll clear a full plate (4" diameter) most days I can't be sure he even touched them. With the drop off in live food I've been dusting his veggies, which he actually seems to prefer.

At the time he was 16" to 17" tip to tail, now he's just under 18". I dont know his starting weight but he's about 360 grams now.

His activity level is still high though he's been going to bed earlier than when he was a baby (just like me...). He clocks in a little less than 10 hrs daily before he shuts down though some of his day is spent in a hide but with wide eyes and lot's of alert observation. He sits under an 80 watt Megaray for about an hour or two on the days I'm home to watch him and he has a UVB-free basking spot that's a bit cooler for most of his day. The gradient is 80 degrees on the cool side, 95 to 105 on the hot side (Depending on where he is). The viv is 4'X2'X2' and he has a hide on each end.

For new food I tried superworms which he likes but will not take them regularly (He chews them well and, when the volume of food is up he passes them as well), he isn't crazy about dubias (only eaten 3 in 2 months) which are around 3/4" of an inch. He still eats wax worms like crazy but we all know that's not a staple. Pheonix worms are ignored.

He has had a vet trip which gave him a clean bill of health. They did a fecal (they had to go "in" for a sample, you should have seen his face afterwards), no parasites. The vet did give me some laxitives in case there was an impaction, which resulted in semi-daily bowel movements and no increase in appetite.

Soooo... I don't know. He seems too young for brumation or a big shift in diet. His temps, supplements, and lighting are all in spec. The behavior doesn't seem alarming and he's still growing apparently. Am I crazy to be worried? Is this maybe a winter thing? Should I be concerned once this becomes a 4-6 month trend? Is this a phase?

Thanks,
Brian

Spikey92

Juvie Member
I got the same thing going on here.
When we bought Spikey in September she ate like crazy. Up to 120 crickets a day and her greens on the ocassion. Then she started eating her greens more and a little less live food but still around 80 crickets a day. Then in December/January she started ignoring the crickets. Looked at them but didnt eat them. We tried everything. Dusted crickets,non dusted crickets, slowed down crickets,even dead crickets. Nothing! Then we tried other feeders and she ate those but after a few days she didnt care much for them either.we tried like everything but she doesnt seem interested. She now only eats a few worms a day and a loooot of salad. (btw we also have the same waxworm thing going on here :D). She is still quite active,poops,climbs,jumps,runs, has happy colours and everything seems normal excepts the fact that she doesnt really wanna eat live food. But as long as our beardies are eating greens and at least a few worms and dont show any health issues Id say its a winter slowdown.even though i check the temps daily spikey feels/sees the nasty weather outside.

Mumtozeus

Hatchling Member
Same here and my Lil lad is about 5-6 months old
He's on hoppers he eats them but not as much as he use to

bjosephs

Original Poster
Well, I'm less concerned about not eating live food as I am about not eating much veggies or going to the bathroom I guess. Maybe I should have titled my thread differently. It sounds like both of your dragoons are still eating a bit and going to the bathroom daily/semi-daily?

Brian

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Spikey used to go every day ,now she only goes every 2 or 3 day. I think its because she doesnt really eat a lot so theres not really a lot in her which has to come out :p plus as they get older they poop less often.

Id still say its a winter slowdown. Your vet said hes parasite free, you do got the correct temps and uvb. Actually how old is your uvb and what type are u using?

jharveyjr54

Hatchling Member
I'm in this boat as well. Active, but not as active as before, RARELY eats. He's not losing weight, I may take him to the vet anyways. Just to be safe. What did that vet visit run you, approximately, if you don't mind my asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom