Drinking Too Much Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwithenvy

My beardie gets so excited about the water in his bath that he ends up submerging his head and drinking so much water that he coughs it up. He'll even go back for more. I gently lift his head out of the water to keep him from drinking so much.

Last night, he went to town on the water and now he's holding his head straight up and has been since last night. He was also shaking his head last night and tilting his head around. I'm worried he got water in his ear or something. Any suggestions? Do other beardies drink a ton of water like that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There are some dragons who get overzealous when in water! You may try to make the water more shallow to where he can't dip his head under water until he learns not to submerge so much & inhale too much.
For now, try to keep his tank around 80 overnight in case he may develop any respiratory issues. Maybe lay off a bath for a few days to be sure he doesn't have anymore trouble.
Did he bask today & eat his normal amount of food?

Tracie

redwithenvy

Original Poster
He doesn't like to bask, but he ate and pooped. Sadly he already has a respiratory infection that we're currently treating him for (probably because he avoids heat - we've had to increase because he'll find the coldest spot to hide.) He has some 'issues' and is a strange one indeed. Weirdest behavior of any beardie that I've ever had. I'll try to keep his baths shallower. I think he's too much of an old dog to learn any new tricks like not gulping his water but you never know. Thank you for the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am sorry he has a respiratory problem now! Which meds are you giving?
He seems to be doing better though?
Well, he is just unique, right? :D
Are you keeping his tank around 80 overnight also to help him out? I hope he is feeling better soon.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

redwithenvy

Original Poster
Tracie:

Yes, I upped the temp in his tank. He stopped tilting his head around by the next afternoon after the bath. So whatever the excess water did to him, he's alright now.

I can't recall the name of the antibiotic he's taking. It's been about 2 weeks and he seems to be improving from that. Only two more weeks of meds to go!

So all seems well for the moment. I appreciate all the help and kind words! I"ll make sure to keep his baths shallower.

-Sharon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sharon,

That is great he is improving now & not tilting his head either.
He may be on either Baytril, or Tylosine for a respiratory infection. At least he only has two more weeks of it, too.
The increase in temperatures helped out as well. I am happy he is doing so much better now! :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom