Dried Salad Anybody?

Hossinn

Hi. New owner of 9 week old Dragon owner here. It seems all the leafy greens and various other foods are drying up so quickly when I place them in the enclosure. I'm guessing putting them in the "cool" side will help tremendously, but it still seems like the stuff's going to dry up. Humidity is showing as 23 (basking side). Is this just how it goes?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes you can try spraying them when they look or getting there dried out --- for some reason Blaze will eat dried out greens :dontknow:

WildMountain

Dried salad is highly palatable in my experience. I wouldn't play around with leaving salad in the tank until it dries, however if you have access to a food dehydrator that may be a way to secure more "tank stable" salads. I would still offer FRESH salads for their moisture content.

In these strange times, shelf stable pet foods are more and more important. I think of the dried greens as being similar to hay, but made from plants other than grass. We have started putting up dried greens for the lizards and birds(who also find it irrisistable). Many greens dry well, others are a bit more finicky.

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Dried salad is highly palatable in my experience. I wouldn't play around with leaving salad in the tank until it dries, however if you have access to a food dehydrator that may be a way to secure more "tank stable" salads. I would still offer FRESH salads for their moisture content.

In these strange times, shelf stable pet foods are more and more important. I think of the dried greens as being similar to hay, but made from plants other than grass. We have started putting up dried greens for the lizards and birds(who also find it irrisistable). Many greens dry well, others are a bit more finicky.
Dried greens along with superworms has been great for our beardie, dehydrator was a good investment.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Dried greens along with superworms has been great for our beardie, dehydrator was a good investment.
Dried salad is a great way to provide your bearded dragon with a healthy and varied diet. There are many different types of dried salad that can be tailored to the specific needs of your dragon. Some of the most popular types of dried salad include fruit- and vegetable-based salads, meat-based salads, and healthy grains and seeds.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hrrmm this was/is an interesting thread. It never occurred to me to try drying out greens. Tbh like Karrieree said about Blaze I've seen my guys eat the dreid green a bunch of times, but i didn't realize they still carried the nutrients of errr "wet" "shrugs" greens.
How do you store them, and how long do they keep? If you mist them when feeding does it cause any kind of issue ?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hrrmm this was/is an interesting thread. It never occurred to me to try drying out greens. Tbh like Karrieree said about Blaze I've seen my guys eat the dreid green a bunch of times, but i didn't realize they still carried the nutrients of errr "wet" "shrugs" greens.
How do you store them, and how long do they keep? If you mist them when feeding does it cause any kind of issue ?
So, it's inherently okay for them to eat rhe dried greens.? Nova and Toothless will get up in the morning and first thing they do is slither over to their dried out salads from the previous day and take a few bites before I can take them out and refresh them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, it's inherently okay for them to eat rhe dried greens.? Nova and Toothless will get up in the morning and first thing they do is slither over to their dried out salads from the previous day and take a few bites before I can take them out and refresh them
They like them dried that's ok but you will need to keep an eye on their hydration as the wet greens will keep them hydrated- I spray blazes head or drop water on his head every 2 weeks - he does lick the water -

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
They like them dried that's ok but you will need to keep an eye on their hydration as the wet greens will keep them hydrated- I spray blazes head or drop water on his head every 2 weeks - he does lick the water -
Yeah, we give them fresh salads every morning and they're always nice and wet and we keep water bowls in their tanks for them to get in and stuff so they're well hydrated

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Im not sure about the rehydrate part, but I have been feeding dehydrated greens and giving water through a baby syringe.
I'll try rehydration.
I wanna do a full tutorial..

Of course I've never done this before
I'd dehydrate & go from there..
Thinking you can rehydrate.

Like those small zilla bags you can get
They don't have a huge variety is what I've noticed.

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
I'll try rehydration.
I wanna do a full tutorial..

Of course I've never done this before
I'd dehydrate & go from there..
Thinking you can rehydrate.

Like those small zilla bags you can get
They don't have a huge variety is what I've noticed.
There is only a few vegetables that are recommended daily, so I have found it very hard to have a lot of variety in the dehydrated mix, dandelion and collard greens, I have tried squash and beets but they get too hard when dehydrated.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
There is only a few vegetables that are recommended daily, so I have found it very hard to have a lot of variety in the dehydrated mix, dandelion and collard greens, I have tried squash and beets but they get too hard when dehydrated.
Have you tried boiling/steaming the squash and beets before putting them in the dehydrator.?
That might soften them up
I'm gonna try it with yellow squash and zucchini
I'll let you guys know.

It might soften them up.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom