Dragons eye won't open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it does seem like some stuck shed that has irritated the eye. The raw honey should
help quite a bit. Remember to thin it out a little with warm water to make it a little thinner so
you can use it like eye drops, etc.
You can also get some chamomile tea bags & then moisten them with warm water & place it
over the eye at bedtime. You can cover the tea bag with a towel to help hold in some heat for
a few minutes. Just be sure it isn't too hot but is gently warming.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow ok I am going to reflag the post again to AHBD and Tracie shes our vet moderator --- Any colored lights like red etc????? They may suggest a vet visit but lets have them look again and see if they can suggest something else --- Tracie is on at nite ---- and I see she has responded did you try the tea bags? Have you tried saline solution to wash the eye out to see if there is anything that could possibly be in it? Is there any improvement at all? Swelling gown down?
Karrie

MountainWulf

Original Poster
Her eye is looking worse. It looks almost identical, just more so. Very irritated I'd say. I tried to take a picture, but my hands are shaking so bad I can't hold onto my phone, even with both hands, much less click on the camera app and get a clear picture. I'll have to wait until the tremors stop.

No colored lights. I wouldn't be able to put anything on her eye like a teabag, unless I was holding her in my hand and forcing her still. She hates to be touched. She came like that, terrified of people. Especially hands! It took two months just to be able to go near her without her launching herself through the air and trying to rip a piece out of my hand. She was and still is, scared of everything and hating everything.

I have no saline, so no, I haven't been able to use any. I looked up how to make my own, but that requires salt without iodine, and I don't have that either. Plus I have nothing to squirt the water out of anyways. But I have been using bottled water on a clean qtip and getting as much water as I can into her eye that way. Then dabbing a very small amount of watered down honey on the eye, making sure of course to not touch the eye itself. I've been doing that twice a day.

I pray I don't need to take her to a vet. When I got her, it was before this blasted covid thing happened. I know when you get a pet, you should have money saved up for emergencies, and I did. It would have been plenty for a vet and then some. But the hoarders have wiped out the pet stores of food. So I went online to get food, but everyone is backlogged. I can't find anyone online that isn't out of food or behind on orders. It'll be a while before I get her food from online, and I've been having to buy from others.

I go to the petstore every day, but if they still have crickets, then there is a line for them. Literally yesterday the lady in front of me took every last one they had. She asked how many they had, and said that's how many she wanted. It keeps happening. That was the closest I've been to getting crickets in a while. But some of the people buying them up are reselling them.

I buy 200 crickets at what I used to pay for 2,000. It's completely drained my bank account, I haven't even a dollar to my name because of the hoarders and gougers. I have enough food for a couple more days. I'm listing things of mine for sale in hopes of making enough to keep feeding her, but I'm already at my wits end, I don't know what I could do if she needed to go to a vet right now. I really don't.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I have no insight, as I'm new still. Just wondering though, if it could be getting more irritated by doing anything at all with it?

MountainWulf

Original Poster
WinFam01":xuoahf61 said:
I have no insight, as I'm new still. Just wondering though, if it could be getting more irritated by doing anything at all with it?

I have wondered the exact same thing. But I honestly don't know. I figure it's better to do what the experts say to do, when I can. Honestly though, I'm just dripping clean water on her eye, and putting some honey on after. Those are things that shouldn't hurt, even if they aren't helping.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was thinking the same thing w/ the just water --- start using the honey straight no water --- dab it on there w/ a q tip --- we need another pic of it as soon as you can get one before AHBD comes on --- I want you to order some dubia roaches from here she is going to need protein and this place will get them out to you quickly --- http://www.reptilianarts.com I have ordered silk worms and super worms from them and they are pretty quick about getting orders out --- dubias will last longer all you need is to keep them in their container and feed carrots to them if you want to eventually get a 10 gallon tank or a plastic tote and order lots at a time do that then but in the meantime get as many as you can afford I am thinking shes gonna eat the 5/8 size which would be $24 for 100 of them -- you cant not feed her any bugs as that is her main diet at this time -- are you feeding her salads as well - greens like collard mustard maybe a little squash like zuccini or yellow --- fresh green beens -- anything like that? Here is a website for nutrition she needs salads as well http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as staple feeder ---- you can also get silk worms from this place I posted they are a good staple feeder too - if you order bulk they send small ones and you would need to order food for them as well you would need to feed them but for now I would concentrate on getting the dubias -- they last a lot longer than crickets they dont die off like crickets do --- she wont eat as many dubias either they fill them up faster ---
Karrie

MountainWulf

Original Poster
How many dubias/BSFL should she be eating a day? I haven't run out of insects yet, so I'm not starving her. She eats greens ok. Not a lot, but she'll have them once a day. She always ate them, I'm happy about that, as I hear a lot of people have problems getting their dragons to eat salads.

I gave her a soak, as her arm is turning that color that says it's going to shed soon. Which is odd, as it just shed a week ago. Her eye looks better after the bath. So I'm hoping it's just the honey that was making it look worse. It for right now looks exactly the same as it did in the last pic.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She's gonna eat more BSFL than dubias--- dubias anywhere between 10-12 I am guessing- if she's eating salads too plus 1-3 superworms she may eat less dubias not to mention the BSFL- I am stumped about the eye- I have asked ahbd to look again and see what you can do
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that everything is so rough.. :( Hopefully you can get some feeder insects from a reliable vendor. If you happen to have an Agway store in your area check if they have crickets or other feeders. I wish you could get a pic of the eye. Does it just look goopy from the honey or is it swelling ? Whatever water you use on it, boil first , then let it cool before using it. The honey should be helping, is it unpasteurized ? Try not to worry too much, it should clear up before too long. Never used home made saline, just go to a pharmacy + get a small bottle of plain sterile saline.

MountainWulf

Original Poster
Everything I've read/watched has said to give a dragon all the bugs they can eat while they are young, but I think she's just taking advantage and eating til she poops, and then eats more. When I have crickets, she eats over a hundred a day, is that too many? I've had her three months now and she was a tiny baby when I got her, she's many times bigger now. She eats WAAAY more than 10 dubias at a time. How do I know when to stop feeding her, when she's had enough? Because I'm suspecting she isn't telling me the truth.

Oh, and just to add, I think she's about four inches without tail and about ten to eleven inches with tail, hard to measure her, as she's afraid of the ruler.

I got my friend to take a pic, the crust on her eye I suspect is honey and it came off in the bath. I gave her a break and haven't done anything to her eye today, just to see if it helps at all, but I'm about to go put honey on it soon. Right now though, she's rubbing her eye on everything in the tank, I think it must be itchy? But I wish she'd stop, it can't be good to be doing that.

84067-328203599.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So you did get the dried honey off of her eye then in a bath? When you use the honey on
her eye, do you thin it out at all before applying it?
If she is rubbing her eye a lot then it is probably itching her which is hopefully a good sign
that is is healing.
Will she open her eye at all yet?
Since she is still young, she does need more protein. You can give her about a 10 to 15
minute window for her to eat so she can be sure to get enough to eat.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If shes rubbing her eye on everything take a soft baby toothe brush wet it and brush her eye gently - you may get some loose shed off of it - see if that helps w/ her itching--- and like Tracie said feed her the bugs in a 10-15 minute time frame but feed her salad first --- before the bugs if shes really hungry she will eat the salad and not eat so many bugs -- your honey your using is raw unpasteurized honey correct?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, it's great that she has such an appetite, that is a sign of good health ! So even though her eye bothers her, she is otherwise doing well ! If she's eating 100 crix a day, you might be using insects that are too small. Definitely move up a size so she gets more meat in every bug. No dragon needs 100 insects a day. At her size + age it should be around 25-35 , just larger ones to fill her up.

MountainWulf

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply, a storm came through and knocked my power out for two days. After that I had no internet. My provider had me buy a new modem and that didn't work, so then they had me buy a router and that also didn't work, so now they are going to send some people out to replace the wires outside my house that got damaged in the storm, but that won't be for a long while.

I was going to just wait til I had internet back to update you guys, as nothing had changed. But I'm having to borrow a phone because it's changed for the worse very suddenly.

So to start, when the power went out I had no heat bulb or uvb bulb going for my dragon. She didn't move at all the first day and moved a lot the second day, but ate nothing those two days. I couldn't check her eye as I have my windows covered to slow how much water comes in when it rains. But on the third day, I had power and could see, her eye actually looked better. It was still swollen in front of it, but it was half open. She ate a ton this day and after that she ate normally and her eye stayed the same.

Until today, it has crusted over and has a bubble over it and is weeping a lot. I've kept up the honey and there is 100% no stuck shed, I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong.

I of course called a vet, but they won't see her for a week from today. What can I do?

MountainWulf

Original Poster
Drache613:

The honey did wash off, yes. I've been told to thin it and not thin it and have tried both ways. But currently am doing very barely thinned.

KarrieRee:

There is absolutely no stuck shed on her, I'm very certain of that. I've looked her over many times super closely/thoroughly. The honey is raw unpasteurized.

AHBD:

If going by the no crickets larger than between her eyes, she's eating crickets too big for her actually. But it's literally all I can get. She's just a very hungry girl I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom