Dragon won’t open her eye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbmb17

Hi, this is midnight! she is 4 years old & recently in the last 5 days (waiting for vet to call back) she has left her one eye closed she will open it rarely but for the majority of the day she keeps it shut.

a little background history of her health:
She went to the vet 3 months ago and was treated for a respiratory infection & we were notified that her calcium levels were high. other than that she has had no problems and had no problems with her eyes.

she is eating normally but I was just wondering if anyone knew what may be going on as we wait for the vet to get ahold of us. Is this needed to go to an emergency ER?

There’s a picture of her with her eye closed and one of when she opened it but closed it again right after.

Thank you so much!!!

Attachments

• 7663C811-134E-49C6-B882-83E22735C1B3.jpg
    7663C811-134E-49C6-B882-83E22735C1B3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 132
  • 84D1058C-6848-48D5-A658-90FD87B66E93.jpeg
    84D1058C-6848-48D5-A658-90FD87B66E93.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 93

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, this is midnight! she is 4 years old & recently in the last 5 days (waiting for vet to call back) she has left her one eye closed she will open it rarely but for the majority of the day she keeps it shut.

She went to the vet 3 months ago and was treated for a respiratory infection & we were notified that her calcium levels were high. other than that she has had no problems and had no problems with her eyes.

she is eating normally but I was just wondering if anyone knew what may be going on as we wait for the vet to get ahold of us. Is this needed to go to an emergency ER?

There’s a picture of her with her eye closed and one of when she opened it but closed it again right after.

Thank you so much!!!
What kind of lighting are you using? Any coils like for UVB and colored bulbs ? Substrate ? The light in the pic looks really close to her but I cant see what it is --- coil?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you see any crusty buildup around the eye that might indicate infection? If not, then something small could be irritating it. This happens with small pieces of shed skin sometimes and they can usually work it free after a while. It could also just be that she feels like closing it for some reason and nothing is wrong.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
so what kind of uvb and the distance ? any colored lights will mess with vision too. how much do you supplement how many times weekly? powder or liquid? do you feed greens with alot of calcium? gut load bugs with things with calcium? Frey'jas first vet visit she also had high levels of calcium and my uvb game has always been top notch so it had to be that I was over supplementing her because I gut loaded my feeders with calcium products so they were calcium rich. On top of that i was told to powder supplement 3-5 a week. Then staple greens like collard greens, turnip greens, kale all have good amounts of calcium. So after the vet I knew I needed change I got a hold of the breeder and he said calcium supplement 2 to 3 times weekly and a D3 supplement once every other week. Then just throw some calcium rich Foods into your feeders to gut load and make sure to offer greens daily and I do raspberries and blueberries like twice a week when I can financially LOL. I was hesitant to make this change from three to five times a week to twice a week but that's what we've been doing for the last like 6 months and she's not so sluggish she's more energetic and her calcium levels are great. We've also switched over to a calcium liquid it's much easier to measure rather than dusting the powder I get mine from a member on the forum her name is Tracey and she has so many great things on her website from calcium's, supplements, gut flora, bee pollen, anti parasitic cleaners which i use for our vivs lemon grass scent our beardie likes it and even eye products. Bugdelite.com check it out and consider the supplement change, get back to somebody about what uv-b you are using because the high calcium levels are poor uv-b or placement and it's not processing the calcium like they should or over supplementing and you can always check the urate and if it's really yellow chances are there's still too much calcium in their system once you've gotten the urate white you've found a good balance

esieber06

Thank you so much!!!
Is she doing any better? I am going through the same thing currently - my beardie does not seem to want to open her left eye! I also noticed that her left pupil is noticeably smaller than her right...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is she doing any better? I am going through the same thing currently - my beardie does not seem to want to open her left eye! I also noticed that her left pupil is noticeably smaller than her right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom