Dragon with gout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, Ive been reading these threads and think my buddy has gout, we have rehomed him from a friend of the family and not sure how old he is but he is and adult. I have previously given him cherries to eat which seemed to help his symptoms but he longer will eat them so I want to try black cherry juice. I have seen you recommend .5ml daily, I want to ask you if I buy it concentrated do I need to dilute it first or is .5ml of concentrate ok? also can I buy powder or a supplement. The juices say they last up to 2 months which would mean a lot of waste and expense, just want to find the most cost effective treatment for him.
Also I have seen on a thread about allopurinol, not sure if it was you or another mod but they said they would be able to inform where to get this (if needed) and the dosage.
Thanks

M

mother of dragons

New member​

Saturday at 8:10 PM
Also just thought, would frozen cherries blended be a good supplement?
Thanks
I have found frozen cherries, have syringe fed .5ml but dragon finds this stressful, I am however able to "sneak" some pieces of defrosted cherries into his mouth whilst he is gapping and he then chews and swallows so isn't stressful, does anyone know how many cherries or partial cherries I would need to give daily to be the equivalent of .5ml juice. Last year he would eat fresh cherry but wont this year.
Thanks

Tracie Can you advise me please. Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A blood test for uric acid levels would determine gout- for sure- what kind of uvb are you using? Coil or tube?

mother of dragons

Original Poster
at the moment we have a coil (this is what he came with) but I am currently researching for a tube.
We have been to the vet and paid £100 for this visit which didn't help at all, I can't afford to loose money on more visits (they have quoted £500+) if they don't resolve the problem. If it is gout, I think the cherries will help (they have done previously), I just don't want to give too many and cause further problems.
Also I would like to give him liquid calcium as the powders are hard to judge how much he is getting, he has never had much of an appetite. possibly give him liquid vits as well, I need to know that he is getting essential vits and minerals and then as long as his weight is healthy I don't have to stress over him not eating enough for his nutritional needs.
I am looking into giving him a complete meal dry pellets instead of morriworms (which he loves) or crickets as I think these would better for gout sufferers? any recommendations for brands or where to buy? I would of cause continue to offer fresh veg daily but as he never eats much of these, they would be more for his hydration than nutrition. (as I think they are now).
This month I have been feeding him a complete gel feed instead of live feed, with additional fresh veg, some days he wolfs it down, other days he turns away so I'm thinking that he is eating for his appetite rather than thinking its a treat and overeating as he would with morriworms. Any thoughts?

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
at the moment we have a coil (this is what he came with) but I am currently researching for a tube.
We have been to the vet and paid £100 for this visit which didn't help at all, I can't afford to loose money on more visits (they have quoted £500+) if they don't resolve the problem. If it is gout, I think the cherries will help (they have done previously), I just don't want to give too many and cause further problems.
Also I would like to give him liquid calcium as the powders are hard to judge how much he is getting, he has never had much of an appetite. possibly give him liquid vits as well, I need to know that he is getting essential vits and minerals and then as long as his weight is healthy I don't have to stress over him not eating enough for his nutritional needs.
I am looking into giving him a complete meal dry pellets instead of morriworms (which he loves) or crickets as I think these would better for gout sufferers? any recommendations for brands or where to buy? I would of cause continue to offer fresh veg daily but as he never eats much of these, they would be more for his hydration than nutrition. (as I think they are now).
This month I have been feeding him a complete gel feed instead of live feed, with additional fresh veg, some days he wolfs it down, other days he turns away so I'm thinking that he is eating for his appetite rather than thinking its a treat and overeating as he would with morriworms. Any thoughts?

Thanks
The mori worms are better than pellets --live fresh food is best - as far as the calcium hes getting that from the mori worms your feeding but he needs to be able to absorb it and synthesize it and that is where your UVB comes in and the gout thing --- please get one of these for a fixture these are some of the best on the market
if your tank is a 40 + gallon you want a 24 " fixture
Amazon.co.uk you want this in a 24" fixture - w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" bulb
I think your best bet is to get the Arcadia I was looking for the Sunblaster Nano Tech on Amazon but the UK must not sell them - Arcadia is very good

mother of dragons

Original Poster
thank you for your support I will be ordering new lighting in the next day or so, regarding the morriworms, how many should he be having and how often please as I think they make his symptoms worse so want to give him what he needs but he is a bit of a pig with them so don't want him to overdo it. and are you saying I dont need to dust them? Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
thank you for your support I will be ordering new lighting in the next day or so, regarding the morriworms, how many should he be having and how often please as I think they make his symptoms worse so want to give him what he needs but he is a bit of a pig with them so don't want him to overdo it. and are you saying I dont need to dust them? Thanks

Ok we need to back up here --- these are not what I thought they were please DO NOT feed any more mori worms -- those are super worms --- you want BSFL these are great staple feeders also known as phoenix worms or nutri grubs -----
the super worms will impact him especially too many stop feeding them please --- you need a good staple feeder dubia roaches or crickets -- silk worms --- the BSFL are tiny so if hes around 3 months old feed large as they are small and he will eat alot of them --- start w/ 20 on top of his salads keep adding more if he eats them to fast they will come out undigested ---

mother of dragons

Original Poster
thanks, they were what he was on when we got him, I haven't given him any for a month as I think too many of these started his problems (hubby was feeding several at a time, even though I said not to). I'm not sure how old he is, but he is an adult and weighs about 550g.
I'm in the uk so will look on uk site, we have given him meal worms before but he is quite picky and didn't want to eat many so had to throw a lot as they started to pupate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
thanks, they were what he was on when we got him, I haven't given him any for a month as I think too many of these started his problems (hubby was feeding several at a time, even though I said not to). I'm not sure how old he is, but he is an adult and weighs about 550g.
I'm in the uk so will look on uk site, we have given him meal worms before but he is quite picky and didn't want to eat many so had to throw a lot as they started to pupate
Ok so every couple of days for the Morri worms a few those are treat worms- butter worms horn worms are also treat worms - get him a good staple feeder as posted - I thought we were talking about a baby and he's a big boy :). I don't think bsfl would cause gout as it's too much protein that causes gout but you need good uvb coils are terrible!

mother of dragons

Original Poster
HI again, looking at lights, would it hurt to have a tube that covers the whole width of tank or is it best to only cover 3/4?
also what is the difference between a light with d3 and one without d3, is it better to have a d3 one?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
HI again, looking at lights, would it hurt to have a tube that covers the whole width of tank or is it best to only cover 3/4?
also what is the difference between a light with d3 and one without d3, is it better to have a d3 one?
Thanks
the D3 is good and I am not exactly sure what the difference is between the two of them but if you can get the one w/ D3 do it ---- you want a fixture at least half the tank --- 24" fixture is good for a 40+ gallon tank -- you dont want him hiding from the UVB rays ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry that your dragon may have gout. Did they not do a blood test yet? I realize that all of the diagnostics are
extremely expensive!
Do you have pictures you could post of him?
The D3 is simply the the model of the Arcadia but it doesn't emit D3 literally. It is a great bulb & it does emit the
proper UVB wavelength which would be conducive to D3 synthesis.
Since you are in the UK, then it should be pretty easy to obtain this particular UVB tube bulb.
Is the vet going to prescribe you Allopurinol or wait?
The black or tart cherry extract or juice is great but if he cooperates better with cherries that is fine too! I don't
have an exact equivalency of juice to cherry for volume, but I would think 1 cherry daily should be sufficient. If
you can get him to eat all of it that would be perfect.
Did the vet give any liquid calcium for you?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
link came up w/a some thing different -- you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb that keeps temps to what they need to be -- Infrared is usually a colored bulb please post the link again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Have you been able to find a good basking bulb for him? I'm glad to hear you have gotten him an Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb. That should
help him a lot.
Keep us posted on his progress!

Tracie

mother of dragons

Original Poster
Hi,
Bulb arrived today. the infrared bulb gives out a red light so am looking for a good one to replace it. will try to send link again later, I think the bulb says daytime, wanted to check that it didn't have the coating on that this site said to avoid, think they have just labelled it daytime as opposed to night heating.
The cherries have helped the swelling go down, some days seems like its still a bit swollen, other days seems like no swelling at all. still limping though but been more active and alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom