Dragon sits next to basking spot

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My Dragon seems to often be next to the log that I have for his basking spot. The top of the log is 15 inches from the bottom of his UVB. It’s an Arcadia 12%. The ambient temperature in the tank is between 90 and 95 on the hot side in between 80 and 85 on the cool side. His basking spot is 99 at the hottest point and goes cooler as he moves to the left. He is sometimes actually on top of the log but I guess my question is is he getting enough UVB sitting near the log or do I need to change things around like lowering the light so that it is 15 inches from the floor?

Attachments

• 4EF8C93E-FFAA-46B9-AA6A-F6C1B45DCDA8.jpeg
    4EF8C93E-FFAA-46B9-AA6A-F6C1B45DCDA8.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 109

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My Dragon seems to often be next to the log that I have for his basking spot. The top of the log is 15 inches from the bottom of his UVB. It’s an Arcadia 12%. The ambient temperature in the tank is between 90 and 95 on the hot side in between 80 and 85 on the cool side. His basking spot is 99 at the hottest point and goes cooler as he moves to the left. He is sometimes actually on top of the log but I guess my question is is he getting enough UVB sitting near the log or do I need to change things around like lowering the light so that it is 15 inches from the floor?
You want distance from the basking decor 12-15 inches - so if the floor is farther than 15 inches its too far- your fixture has a reflector on it so those rays are shining downward toward him - if hes sitting off to the side and hes w/ in specs of the 12-15 inches I would say hes getting those rays - he will sit where hes most comfortable --

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You want distance from the basking decor 12-15 inches - so if the floor is farther than 15 inches its too far- your fixture has a reflector on it so those rays are shining downward toward him - if hes sitting off to the side and hes w/ in specs of the 12-15 inches I would say hes getting those rays - he will sit where hes most comfortable --
OK the decor is 15 inches from the light but the floor is farther, so I guess I’m just not sure if I should just take the decor out and keep the light within 15 inches of the floor? I don’t know why he won’t just get on the decor, the temperatures are right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK the decor is 15 inches from the light but the floor is farther, so I guess I’m just not sure if I should just take the decor out and keep the light within 15 inches of the floor? I don’t know why he won’t just get on the decor, the temperatures are right.
Did you get a temp on the decor piece itself- it maybe too hot - digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he sits - we need to see if that spot is too hot

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Did you get a temp on the decor piece itself- it maybe too hot - digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he sits - we need to see if that spot is too hot
OK I will use the digital probe tomorrow when the lights come back on to see what the actual temperature is, I haven’t checked that in a couple of weeks actually. But he has his choice of temperatures because there are two logs he can lay on that are both under the UVB one much closer to the basking light than the other so it’s sort of a gradation from the left to the right basking log of temperature that goes from 99° down to probably 90.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK I will use the digital probe tomorrow when the lights come back on to see what the actual temperature is, I haven’t checked that in a couple of weeks actually. But he has his choice of temperatures because there are two logs he can lay on that are both under the UVB one much closer to the basking light than the other so it’s sort of a gradation from the left to the right basking log of temperature that goes from 99° down to probably 90.
That's good he is fine then - he's going to go where he's most comfortable

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom