Dot fell out of her enclosure.

alcicero

Beardie name(s)
Dot
Hey guys,
So my beardie is just a few months old and fell out of her enclosure (about 3ft). We found her under the couch with a swollen lip& small amount of blood on her right side with her right eye being closed as well. I’ve talked with the vet to try to get an appointment, but they don’t have anything available asap and the closet emergency is an hour and a half away. I’ve talked with friends that have experience with beardies and they said to just continue to monitor her and that she should be okay. Dot is just sitting still in her plant, resting from all the craziness I’m sure, but i just want to make sure that there isn’t anything more that i can do. Her lip swelling seems to have gone down a little i gave her water from a straw and she drank a bit, she seems to be breathing normal, and was moving around okay earlier. I’m just nervous. I feel like i know what to do but hearing it more just helps keep me calm i guess. Thanks in advanced!

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
Hey guys,
So my beardie is just a few months old and fell out of her enclosure (about 3ft). We found her under the couch with a swollen lip& small amount of blood on her right side with her right eye being closed as well. I’ve talked with the vet to try to get an appointment, but they don’t have anything available asap and the closet emergency is an hour and a half away. I’ve talked with friends that have experience with beardies and they said to just continue to monitor her and that she should be okay. Dot is just sitting still in her plant, resting from all the craziness I’m sure, but i just want to make sure that there isn’t anything more that i can do. Her lip swelling seems to have gone down a little i gave her water from a straw and she drank a bit, she seems to be breathing normal, and was moving around okay earlier. I’m just nervous. I feel like i know what to do but hearing it more just helps keep me calm i guess. Thanks in advanced!
She climbed up to her rock so I was able to get pictures.

Attachments

• BEA21A35-2FC7-4364-8A72-E455D317C4F3.jpeg
    BEA21A35-2FC7-4364-8A72-E455D317C4F3.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 730CC789-8111-457D-93ED-72589D9BD174.jpeg
    730CC789-8111-457D-93ED-72589D9BD174.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 2B82ACAD-9E2B-43D9-9ABB-454B64C03A02.jpeg
    2B82ACAD-9E2B-43D9-9ABB-454B64C03A02.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 107

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She climbed up to her rock so I was able to get pictures.
I am gonna have our vet tech look at her- in the meantime please go over your uvb coil or tube - basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? Please no stick ons - this info is very important for her healing-
@Drache613

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Awww poor baby. One thing I noticed is her nose is plugged from shed. Will she let you remove it so she can breathe a lil bit better?

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
Awww poor baby. One thing I noticed is her nose is plugged from shed. Will she let you remove it so she can breathe a lil bit better?
Thank you so much for this comment! We pulled out shed from both nostrils. Sure that feels much better!

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
I am gonna have our vet tech look at her- in the meantime please go over your uvb coil or tube - basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? Please no stick ons - this info is very important for her healing-
@Drache613
Thank you much! We only have a stick on at the moment but will go tomorrow and get a better one!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, just how far of a fall did she take, out of her tank? Did she fall onto a hardwood floor, or
carpet?
Nothing appears to be broken but she is probably just stressed or traumatized from her ordeal. Do
you have any raw honey you could use on the affected scraped up areas? The honey can help to
heal up any raw area & ward off infection.
Has her beard been darker than normal or is it the regular lighter color as usual?
As suggested, a better thermometer such as a temp gun or a digital probe would be helpful. Try to
keep her a little warmer overnight since she isn't 100% right now. Usually around 75-80F overnight
to help boost her system.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
Hello,

Poor girl, just how far of a fall did she take, out of her tank? Did she fall onto a hardwood floor, or
carpet?
Nothing appears to be broken but she is probably just stressed or traumatized from her ordeal. Do
you have any raw honey you could use on the affected scraped up areas? The honey can help to
heal up any raw area & ward off infection.
Has her beard been darker than normal or is it the regular lighter color as usual?
As suggested, a better thermometer such as a temp gun or a digital probe would be helpful. Try to
keep her a little warmer overnight since she isn't 100% right now. Usually around 75-80F overnight
to help boost her system.

Tracie
Hello! So I retook the temp of her cage with the digital probe and basking -100F, warm-85F, and cool-80F. We gave her a little honey on her lip but it’s already gone down so much swelling wise! She fell about 31/2 feet into hard wood. Her beard hasn’t changed color at all and she is acting like her normal self, besides having her eye still closed often. She is opening it up at times but it’s usually closed.

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
Thank you much! We only have a stick on at the moment but will go tomorrow and get a better one!
I retook the temps with a digital and the basking-100F, warm-85F, and cool 80F. Her swelling has gone down a bunch (mouth almost fully closed) and she has opened her hurt eye a few times.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello! So I retook the temp of her cage with the digital probe and basking -100F, warm-85F, and cool-80F. We gave her a little honey on her lip but it’s already gone down so much swelling wise! She fell about 31/2 feet into hard wood. Her beard hasn’t changed color at all and she is acting like her normal self, besides having her eye still closed often. She is opening it up at times but it’s usually closed.
What are you using for a basking bulb brand please-- the closed eye is not good especially if it's closed all the time- what kind of substrate are you using and uvb coil or a long tube fixture

alcicero

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dot
The brand wasn’t listed because it was in a kit we got from petsmart but it’s a 75-watt basking bulb and the the uvb same thing but 13-watt coil. The kit is “thrive desert reptile terrarium kit” 20 gallon, and the substrate that came with that we’ve been using is a reptile carpet. Her eye is opened at times and she has been leaving it open for longer and longer, it’s just very noticeable that it’s still not fully 100%.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The brand wasn’t listed because it was in a kit we got from petsmart but it’s a 75-watt basking bulb and the the uvb same thing but 13-watt coil. The kit is “thrive desert reptile terrarium kit” 20 gallon, and the substrate that came with that we’ve been using is a reptile carpet. Her eye is opened at times and she has been leaving it open for longer and longer, it’s just very noticeable that it’s still not fully 100%.
For the 13 watt coil please get rid of it as soon as you can--- that is the eye issue --- please get a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" fixture this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use it on the 20 gallon for now when you upgrade the tank to a 40 + gallon I recommend bigger like a 75-120 gallon tank please get the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- the 5.0 bulb is going to need to be unobstructed on the tank so either have the screen half way on w/ the screen butted up to the UVB fixture and the UVB going width wise on the tank and the basking bulb next to it or take the screen off --- the distance for the 5.0 bulb should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I purchased a thrive kit as well and to be honest I’ve switched out all my lights. Now is the perfect time to on replace them if your going to. Petsmart has buy one get one 50% off. So you can get a bulb for now and then an replacement. It’s also cheaper online because you buy get one 50% off and if you choose auto delivery (which you can set out as long as 6mo) you get an extra 35% off. For basking bulbs I purchased the exo terra intense (my 1st time trying this brand) and I also purchased the linear light for the hoods.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your temperatures sound good, if you double checked them with a digital probe. How is she doing
today? That's great the swelling has gone down. Hopefully her eye will heal up also. That is a bit
of a fall, too.
As suggested, we recommend either the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube or the Reptisun 10% T5 tube for
a stronger UVB exposure for her.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom