Don't judge me...

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Are you ever afraid of your beardie? As I am learning Rocky and vice versa- I am at times afraid of her responses. I can deal with the curled tail as it will subside when she takes her bath but when she lays low to attack - I am so afraid. I realize Rocky likes to chase plastic gloves through the glass like a laser, but she will at times go to attack mode. When that pointed head goes low, I am so scared.

Are there moments when you are/were afraid?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If her head is low she is probably scared. If she was being aggressive she would have her beard puffed, mouth gaped, would hiss ect. I personally Have never seen a beardie try to bite with no warning.
What color are the gloves? She may think they are food maybe?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She may just have some personality traits like that. The curled up tail is just essentially her being
alert but shouldn't be any reason to be alarmed.
When they lower their head they can either be scared or maybe just a bit apprehensive. Normally
they don't really attack though!
If you are handfeeding him, then sometimes they can get carried away & accidentally bite thinking
your finger is food.

Tracie

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thank you, all of this information is so helpful. Perhaps she thinks I am teasing her with gloves. I was able to pet her and we were okay this morning but I had a moment yesterday like, "what did I get myself into?!"
I am learning her overall personality which is really cool.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
If her head is low she is probably scared. If she was being aggressive she would have her beard puffed, mouth gaped, would hiss ect. I personally Have never seen a beardie try to bite with no warning.
What color are the gloves? She may think they are food maybe?
Oooooooooooooooh I have never seen her hiss. Rocky has only had her mouth gaped after a long day of basking. I check the temp- it's fine, I watch her again and there's no gaping. I usually turn the temperature down a few degrees to play it safe. This has only happened once or twice towards the end of the day.
As Rocky is young, I still can't determine if her beard is puffed (I could only tell when she was shedding)- but I believe if I see the blackness, I would know. :oops:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hello,

She may just have some personality traits like that. The curled up tail is just essentially her being
alert but shouldn't be any reason to be alarmed.
When they lower their head they can either be scared or maybe just a bit apprehensive. Normally
they don't really attack though!
If you are handfeeding him, then sometimes they can get carried away & accidentally bite thinking
your finger is food.

Tracie
Thank you for your reply- I thought the curled tail meant she didn't want the bath but then went she got in, she was okay. Thank you for that information. I think the triangle head lowered is physically too much for me LOL what will I do when she gets big? As I am typing, she is staring at me, that doesn't bother me. I can handfeed her and I can feed her with tongs with no concern.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I must say it is interesting learning her personality - the good, beyond curious and moody. I think I am to the point where I want to let her roam. I've had her for 2 weeks now. She's not a fan of the playpen but I think to just explore my room may help the both of us. Perhaps I will see her "head motions" and grow more comfortable. Any suggestions?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I must say it is interesting learning her personality - the good, beyond curious and moody. I think I am to the point where I want to let her roam. I've had her for 2 weeks now. She's not a fan of the playpen but I think to just explore my room may help the both of us. Perhaps I will see her "head motions" and grow more comfortable. Any suggestions?
They lick everything, so make sure the area is free of anything that could harm them. I've read stories of beardies swallowing needles, pen caps, plastic, all kinds of things. If they can fit it in their mouth they will probably try to eat it, especially young ones. They are also much faster than you would think and can get into some very small and tight places, so make sure you are watching and there aren't any places she can get to that you can't get her out of. Other than that, maybe start off with her in your lap or on your chest or something and let her climb down when she's ready.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
They lick everything, so make sure the area is free of anything that could harm them. I've read stories of beardies swallowing needles, pen caps, plastic, all kinds of things. If they can fit it in their mouth they will probably try to eat it, especially young ones. They are also much faster than you would think and can get into some very small and tight places, so make sure you are watching and there aren't any places she can get to that you can't get her out of. Other than that, maybe start off with her in your lap or on your chest or something and let her climb down when she's ready.
okay, I will do this- I am not sure if she will stay on my lap but I will try. When I put her on my lap now, I hold her because I am scared to let go. I was letting her (and me) get used to being held. She was okay until she looked at me and squirmed like UMMMMMMMMM what now mom? I think it was a little too long LOL

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
CURIOSITY! Rocky has lowered her heard, closed one eye to focused and leaned her head out of the hammock- she is focusing on what is going on outside of the window about 25 feet in front of her. She keeps turning her head then "focusing." I feel better about this - again thanks.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Very good advice

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom