Don't hold on back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, after owning my baby Rexy for 6 months (my how time flies!) he's been doing absolutely wonderful on a variety diet of Phoenix Worms, Crickets, and now Superworms (greens fruits and veggies implied!). Everyone always comments on how healthy and pretty he is when I take him out and about! I have been wondering something though, a long time I ago I read somewhere that you're not supposed to hold a bearded dragon where it's laying on it's back because that makes it so they can't breathe. Is that true? I've only done it a couple of times and that was after a nice warm bath and I had the little guy wrapped up in a towel for drying off and he'd let me do it but, not for very long and I respected when he wanted to go back to being upright. I just wonder if it is true that he can't breathe while laying on his back.

Thanks!

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
Yes, Beardies do not have diaphragm's and therefore should never be put on their backs. It can suffocate them if they stay on it for too long so it's recommended to never put them on their backs. Instead, they breathe using muscles around their ribs, which somehow will not work if they're laying on their backs. Come to think of it, I think a lot of lizards don't have diaphragm's-- but I could be wrong.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Quelaag":1dxigbfx said:
Yes, Beardies do not have diaphragm's and therefore should never be put on their backs. It can suffocate them if they stay on it for too long so it's recommended to never put them on their backs. Instead, they breathe using muscles around their ribs, which somehow will not work if they're laying on their backs. Come to think of it, I think a lot of lizards don't have diaphragm's-- but I could be wrong.

No lizards have diaphragms, only crocodilians come close to a similar structure.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that you shouldn't place a beardie on their back because it does make it difficult for them to breathe which causes stress as they can go into a type of panic mode trying to right themselves right away.

DraconaKeitorin

Original Poster
Like I said, I've rarely ever done it and it's only because at the spur of the moment I thought it'd be cute but I won't do that ever again then, I don't want to make him uncomfortable for even just the few seconds that I hold him like that, thanks guys!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad you asked. You will never learn things unless you ask. There was a time for all of us that we knew almost nothing about beardies. Unless we ask questions, and read, will will not learn about how the best way to take care of them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, we are indeed glad that you asked. That's what we're here for, to help & to learn ourselves. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom