Dome reflector needed for heat lamp?

Starlily

Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
For those of you with larger enclosures (placing heat lamp inside rather than on top) - do you use dome reflectors?

What lamp are you using to heat an enclosure of this size?

The Arcadia 100w Halogen I'm using isn't working and clearly states on the website (found this today!): PAR38 100w halogen lamps should be used in reflector domes. I'm wondering if I NEED a dome regardless of choice of bulb or if I should just switch to a different light source and that would be okay.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what do you mean when you say it's not working ? Not getting the temps. high enough ? You can get a dome an aluminum dome reflector with a ceramic socket usually at Walmart , Home Depot, Lowe's Tractor supply or Agway. They should be cheaper there than the pet store reflectors.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Hi there, what do you mean when you say it's not working ? Not getting the temps. high enough ? You can get a dome an aluminum dome reflector with a ceramic socket usually at Walmart , Home Depot, Lowe's Tractor supply or Agway. They should be cheaper there than the pet store reflectors.
Thanks for replying.

By not working, I mean that the temperatures could read 118-120, but then an inch away read 110 and she's happily basking there. Obviously this isn't the result I want - but I also didn't realize that the 100w NEEDED a reflector dome until this morning.

I would prefer to not cut a hole on top of the enclosure and just have a bulb in there but at this point I'm pretty unsure what to do to achieve the temps she needs (in a safe way) while also creating the appropriate gradient she needs.

So essentially 2 questions are:

Do I NEED a reflector dome to achieve the gradient she needs?

If I do NOT need a reflector dome what bulb do I buy? (I'd love someone housing a dragon in a 4x2x2 enclosure WITHOUT a dome to perhaps tell me what they are currently using in their set up).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for replying.

By not working, I mean that the temperatures could read 118-120, but then an inch away read 110 and she's happily basking there. Obviously this isn't the result I want - but I also didn't realize that the 100w NEEDED a reflector dome until this morning.

I would prefer to not cut a hole on top of the enclosure and just have a bulb in there but at this point I'm pretty unsure what to do to achieve the temps she needs (in a safe way) while also creating the appropriate gradient she needs.
I have a 120 gallon tank I use a flukers reflective dome that's sitting on top of the tank that bulb is a flukers 100 watt w/ a single done sitting next to it w/ a 75 watt in it. 110 is good that is what you want if she's happily basking there your good but you do need a reflective dome

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, those temps. are really high so if your bulb is in the tank you could even go with a slightly lower watt but as long as she can't get too close to it you're fine with the 100 and no reflector because it will make the basking area hotter. What are temps. in the rest of the tank ?

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Thanks again,

Yes, I thinking about trying the 75 arcadia instead as it doesn't state that it needs the dome like the 100 I have now.

I do have a dimmer so I have room to play, but what I've found odd about this process is that the lack of space of heat. What I mean by that is there is this inch and a half diameter that just proects a ridiculous amount of heat and then sharply drops when I check it an inch to two away from that. (using a temp gun). This is why I wonder if a reflective dome is required. I'm having trouble understanding what the big difference will be with 75. I guess it doesn't matter much. I just want to figure this out, and fast.

Anyone here housing a dragon in a 4x2x2 enclosure? Please let me know what light you are using.

Oh and @AHBD to answer your question - the gradient overall in the tank has been spot on where it should be. The only issue here is getting her basking spot set up properly.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
I have a 120 gallon tank I use a flukers reflective dome that's sitting on top of the tank that bulb is a flukers 100 watt w/ a single done sitting next to it w/ a 75 watt in it. 110 is good that is what you want if she's happily basking there your good but you do need a reflective dome
Thanks for your reply and explanation of what you are doing. Perhaps the answer really will be to cut a hole on top of the enclosure... bummer! But again, whatever is best for the dragon!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics ? The basking temp. is O.K as long as she can't get in contact or too close to the basking bulb.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Can you post pics ? The basking temp. is O.K as long as she can't get in contact or too close to the basking bulb.
Absolutely! So I actually started a thread last night but it was more vague and also talked about UVB.

There's a photo of her current set up - but keep in mind that I am aware she isnt quite close enough to her UVB and do plan to move her around a little (current reading on solar meter is 3.0 where she is right now)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very nice set up , I like the big basking log. You are right though, the uvb needs to be closer , as soon as you can or else set her up in a smaller tank until she grows. She needs optimal uvb right now for sure.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Planning on moving the UVB front to back of enclosure instead of side placement and then having the heat light next to that. This way she should have a better range of the uvb. I have ordered the 75w and hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll post back with the results whether I'm successful or not. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Absolutely it will help others as it helps me- my lighting is correct and thank goodness all is going well. Every now and then I get an itch to shift because I want to make sure I am doing things correctly. I am similar to Karrierae- Fluckers, outside of the tank. I use 100W but like you, I use a dimmer - as I have 120 gal which was a jump from my 40 gal, I often wonder...but when I shifted the light inside, Rocky started gazing and acting skittish. I tried this on more than one occasion so I left things as is and monitor growth, eating, behavior and poop. So I guess what I am saying is, while you perfect your enclosure's lighting, thanks for thinking of others because we new parents still want to ensure that we are doing what's best.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Attached is new set-up. I fear the issue is far from over though.

The problem is, correct UVB is hard to get to line up with the correct heat. We even angled the light slightly (there wasn't MUCH room to play with here) hoping that it would be more in line with the angle for the UVB, no dice really.

To make matters worse, it's really hard to get an accurate reading from the wood planks.

Attachments

• 20220814_180559.jpg
    20220814_180559.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220814_180613.jpg
    20220814_180613.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 127

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Attached is new set-up. I fear the issue is far from over though.

The problem is, correct UVB is hard to get to line up with the correct heat. We even angled the light slightly (there wasn't MUCH room to play with here) hoping that it would be more in line with the angle for the UVB, no dice really.

To make matters worse, it's really hard to get an accurate reading from the wood planks.
Digital probe thermometer for accurate surface basking temps-- please-- the uvb is fine just make sure your 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor for a T 5 bulb or 12% bulb

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom