Doing an informational presentation to a class about beardies, need tips/advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
As the title mentions; One of my mom's friends is a school teacher and she has requested that I do a small informative show and tell type thing about beardies, let kids handle and interact with them and etc, and teach about them, their care, and general stuff about Beardies!

I Agreed and I'm both excited and anxious lol 😅
My mom said I should make an informational handout about beardies like common care misconceptions, where they're from, etc.
I have a few ideas on what to do and say, but I figured it would be a good idea to get some suggestions and tips from you guys, for both the handout and some tips for what I should maybe do or say at the presentation.

I'd greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions! I've never done something like this before, but I love teaching others about these awesome creatures so hopefully it'll be pretty fun! ^^

Also; Mods would it be okay if I linked to or quoted some bits of the website's care sheet in my handout or presentation?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I always thought the third eye was really cool 😎. Lighting and basic husbandry is a given. Depending on the age group, they would probably enjoy seeing a feeding if you had a way for the beardie to bask soon enough after.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the common misconceptions is a great idea! you could also link them somehow to sections on the correct information for each misconception.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
I find it fascinating to think about how wrapping them in blankets actually make them colder. You always see pictures of them looking so cute wrapped up in them....and when you think about you realize it's just leaching heat from their bodies. And then you realize how different they are from us. But It's important to remember.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I find it fascinating to think about how wrapping them in blankets actually make them colder. You always see pictures of them looking so cute wrapped up in them....and when you think about you realize it's just leaching heat from their bodies. And then you realize how different they are from us. But It's important to remember.
Wait what? I never knew this! Do you have any sources proving that? Thats really interesting!
My beardies still seem to enjoy snuggling into blankets though, but that is a good thing to be aware of :0

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Wait what? I never knew this! Do you have any sources proving that? Thats really interesting!
My beardies still seem to enjoy snuggling into blankets though, but that is a good thing to be aware of :0
Blankets work for humans because being warm blooded, we generate our own heat and regulate our temperature internally. The blanket traps that heat instead of releasing it into the air. Because lizards are cold blooded and require external heat to regulate their own temperature, wrapping them in a blanket or a towel actually insulates them against that external heat and prevents it from getting to them. Now, putting them close to your body and then wrapping a blanket around both of you will work because it will trap the heat you are creating in with your beardie. Same if you put a hot water bottle or something inside the blanket. I think they still like snuggling in because it's more of a burrowing thing than for warmth. Makes them feel safe and secure.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Blankets work for humans because being warm blooded, we generate our own heat and regulate our temperature internally. The blanket traps that heat instead of releasing it into the air. Because lizards are cold blooded and require external heat to regulate their own temperature, wrapping them in a blanket or a towel actually insulates them against that external heat and prevents it from getting to them. Now, putting them close to your body and then wrapping a blanket around both of you will work because it will trap the heat you are creating in with your beardie. Same if you put a hot water bottle or something inside the blanket. I think they still like snuggling in because it's more of a burrowing thing than for warmth. Makes them feel safe and secure.
so it is more an issue of the blankets blocking outside heat as opposed to the blankets pulling the heat they do have out of their bodies? that makes more sense

Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hi,

The 3rd eye helps for when they are outside to know if there is a Hawk or any other birds of animals that try to threaten them and so they don't have to look up, if you try to pick up your Beardie from the top, they may run away because of that 3rd eye. It is really cool, you might be able to see it, it should look like a little really light and really small brown ish green ish. Hope you have fun with your project!!

-Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom